Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get RTE on Humax Box

• 23-11-2010 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

OK now this may be a silly question. I am in Cork, and have a Humax Foxsat HDR.

If I put in a Northern Ireland Post code at setuip, can I get the Irish Channels if I tune in manually?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Slipshaney wrote: »
    OK now this may be a silly question. I am in Cork, and have a Humax Foxsat HDR.

If I put in a Northern Ireland Post code at setuip, can I get the Irish Channels if I tune in manually?

Thanks in advance

nope, rte only on satellite with a sky sub

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

thanks mate - do you know if I can get some sort of Sky card, and put into the slot at front of machine (for a once off payment perhaps)?

Just in order to get the Irish channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

It's not possible without paying sky a monthly subscription, a sky card wont work in a humax box either. You need an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

thanks again - I have an aerial so I do get the Irish channels through that, but since I have the freesat recorder, I was wondering if it would have been possible to someone get these through the box instead (so I cabn record these)

Im not sure what the slot is useful for on the front of the Humax box to be honest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Slipshaney wrote: »
    thanks again - I have an aerial so I do get the Irish channels through that, but since I have the freesat recorder, I was wondering if it would have been possible to someone get these through the box instead (so I cabn record these)

Im not sure what the slot is useful for on the front of the Humax box to be honest

it can be used for subscription cards, but not the sky one. the old setanta one may have worked in it, not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no not the Setanta Card.

You might be able to add RTE to your Humax in April / May 2011 by adding a second feed or dish and Diseqc switch.

http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/saorsat-reception/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 musohead

The basic Irish channels are now available on Freeview, the digital free-to-air equivalent of the old analogue aerial service. It's part of Ireland's EU commitment to switch off the old service (by 2012 I think).

There are cheap Freeview receivers, some look just like a Scart connector. So your TV could have one scart input for Freeview and another for Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

musohead wrote: »
    The basic Irish channels are now available on Freeview, the digital free-to-air equivalent of the old analogue aerial service. It's part of Ireland's EU commitment to switch off the old service (by 2012 I think).

There are cheap Freeview receivers, some look just like a Scart connector. So your TV could have one scart input for Freeview and another for Freesat.

I think your mixing up your words. The Irish channels are not available on freeview (The UK's digital service) and freeview receivers wont work for the irish service which is called saorview. For more info see : saortv.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

No No No. Wrong information.

The digital terrestrial service is called Saorview. It is not called Freeview. Freeview is the Uk digital service.

"Cheap" Freeview receivers will not work with Irish DTT. You need an MPEg4 H264/AVC DVB-T receiver to pick up Irish DTT. And you can combine both HD satellite and Irish Digital Terrestrial(Saorview) in one channel list with one remote, onebox via whats called a HD Combo Box €169. See the terrestrial forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 musohead

Thanks for picking me up on that. I was incorrectly using the UK title as a general term and, as you say, a Freeview receiver will not work on Saorview. I'm told that a Freeview HD will work on Saorview but would need to be confirmed on the Saorview compatability site.

Is there an existing receiver that receives Freesat HD, Saorview HD (or Freesat HD) and has a PVR? One that could record on one format while viewing the other would be nice (like a dual-feed Sky+). I know I'd still need a dish for the Freesat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only "Freeview HD" Humax, not regular Humax for Freeview.

As others have pointed out, Irish Free Digital Terrestrial is called Saorview and "Freeview" is the brand of the incompatible obsolete UK Digital system (they are rolling out a new system called "Freeview HD").

Admittedly it's confusing and Saor means Free. But we are talking about THREE different systems.

Unlike "Freeview" there is no Separate "Saorview HD". "Saorview" is a system that includes HD as part of the minimum spec from day 1.

No. there is no fully compliant combo that does dish + aerial. There are boxes that will do PVR features, Irish DTT reception and UK Satellite Reception.

After April it might be possible to use a good "Freesat HD" PVR (Freesat+ HD) for Saorsat also. Till then you either use a Combo box that lacks features or two PVRs, one for Saorview (aerial) and one for Freesat (via Dish).

I never thought I would say this after dissing Media Center Edition for last 7 years and questioning the value of Windows 7:
    If you have Windows 7 with Media Center and 2 x PCI or PCI-e DVB-S2 cards to dish and a dual Tuner USB stick, you have a PVR that does everything including 7 day EPG and MHEG5 Interactive. It appears to be the only known reason to upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You need a newish PC/Laptop though with suitable graphics that has 50Hz HDMI output for HDTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Is there an existing receiver that receives Freesat HD, Saorview HD (or Freesat HD) and has a PVR? One that could record on one format while viewing the other would be nice (like a dual-feed Sky+). I know I'd still need a dish for the Freesat.

Of the cheap ones €169 - the Ferguson Ariva Combo HD (see satellite.ie) will allow you to record DTT and watch satellite and vice versa. For Sat it will only allow you watch stations on the same transponder as you are watching.

PVR is via USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm told that a Freeview HD will work on Saorview but would need to be confirmed on the Saorview compatability site.

Only Saorview certified receivers will appear on the Saorview website, these receivers could also be separately freeview-HD certified of course. Members here on the boards have confirmed freeview-HD certified TVs and PVRs working with the Irish DTT channels.

Advertisement