Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Ethernet to PC with WiFI to Router

Options
  • 24-01-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Currently I use a FIT PC (running Windows) connected with HDMI to my TV using a wireless keyboard the TV operates as a screen for browsing via wifi connection to my router, does it job fine for browsing but the problem with this approach is the graphics is poor on the PC for viewing anything on the player (this is in comparison with the XBOX connected)
    so.. I'm trying to connect the TV to the Ethernet port of the PC and see if that improves the quality - would it? does anyone know? or am I still limited by the graphic card in the PC?
    I'm having difficulty in getting the TV & PC to talk anyway via ethernet -
    it is giving an error when I select "network status" - there is a hierarchy TV - Gateway - DNS - Internet. asking about DHCP & IP address.
    Does this mean I have to set up a LAN in the house?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Ethernet won't really work, ethernet is for networking not video/graphics (well it can be made to but that's a different story). HDMI should actually be pretty good, any modern PC will be have a decent resolution.

It might just be a matter of setting the optimal resolution for your PC to match your TV, try to set it to auto, if that doesn't work then it's a manual setting.

The display/monitor settings should be in the control panel in windows somewhere (depending on the version of windows).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

The problem is that most of the content you are watching online is heavily sampled - which is more forgiving on smaller screens (ie monitors & tablets)

For example, YouTube offers 1080p (and even some 4K) which sounds great but this is at the expense of colour sampling and bit rate.

Whilst Cat5/6 can carry Video signals the Ethernet port on your TV is designed solely for internet connectivity. No benefit in creating a network, always hardwire if possible.

VOD via the Xbox will perform better than most for a number of reasons (native apps etc).

Unfortunately not much you can do I'm afraid unless your display settings are off but with HDMI it should automatically select the highest common resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

One last thought..

You could consider dabbling with WMM in your reuters settings.(If it's supported)

Essentially this prioritises any device streaming Video or Audio. Considering most video players now adjust your quality based on connection this may help.

Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

Thanks for reply, just saw it now! - I improved the situation sort of by reducing the colour quality setting to 16bit and viewing the content in a smaller window on the screen which in essence seems to tie in with your comments - thanks

Advertisement