Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting from scratch with blank canvas

• 19-12-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    Just finishing up new house now and have it all laid out ready to wire with cat6/coaxial or whatever.
    My requirements are simple. I want to have a NAS drive, PC, storage in a single location. Then, about the house I will have 3, 4 tvs. What must I do/have to be able to watch 2 simultaenous HD movies stored on the NAS drive at the same time on TV1 and TV2 while also on another TV being able to watch a freeview programme and on TV no4 watch Sky sports. All while this is going on I want to be able to connect a laptop to my LAN and browse the web or maybe open a share folder on my main PC.
    So question is, will running coax about the house enable me to do the above? What about cat6?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Dual cat6, coax, & sat cable to every location back to hub. Also think about a projector location for down the line, send hdmi and/or dual cat 6 here also.
    Dual sat cables where you plan to run a recording sat box.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭boardtc

Good tip on projector location. So 2 cat6 (dual) to all rooms to cover for web, phone and use case outlined by OP. I was thinking I needed 4 coax to rooms that would potentially have satellite (say sky) tv and just 2 to others. Can you please elaborate on "sat cable"?

Advertisement