Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Growing a beard

Options
  • 05-01-2011 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I want to be able to grow a proper thick beard but I can't. It is too thin, Anybody know of any product that can be got in a pharmacy (Without prescription) that would help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

How long have you tried to grow for without shaving? Could it be you're one of many with extremely slow growth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GaillimhGuy1

eh, about a week I guess. Yep I guess I am one of many with extremely slow growth; thats why I ask if there are any products to help with this:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

A WEEK?????????????? Give it at least 6 weeks! Then worry about "products"

Beards take time, it's mostly genetic.

I don't know of any products that will assist growth, the hair follicles are stimulated by dihydrotesterone but this has also been linked to balding and I can't say I'd be a fan of testosterone boosts in any form, I think they might even be regulated in this country.

I'd consider my growth somewhat normal and after a week I'd have a fairly scruffy looking face (as in too lazy to shave) with maybe 3-5mm of hair growth. You shouldn't expect to wake up one week into growing a beard and have a Moses beard.

Give it time, it isn't a product but with a bit of it you'll get your beard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It normally takes 1-2 weeks to get past the scruffy stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I'm like you OP. I'd love to grow a beard for a while to see what it looks like on me but it takes far FAR too long and i hate the whole scruffy puberty beard that you have to endure so I always end up shaving it off.

On the plus side, I'm sure (like me) you save money on shaving products :D

Max Power1 wrote: »
    It normally takes 1-2 weeks to get past the scruffy stage.

I cannae do it. My beard is rusty too, while my other hair isn't. So after a week the combination of dark brown crew cut with rusty scruff is too much and it gets the blade :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Work outdoors for approx two weeks in really cold weather.
    Then you'll see it thicken up.
    Ever see how thick a tramps beard is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I cannae do it. My beard is rusty too, while my other hair isn't. So after a week the combination of dark brown crew cut with rusty scruff is too much and it gets the blade :P
    lol
    The sides of my beard are jet black like my hair, but the "smig" part is invariably ginger.

(whenever I grow my beard out I confess to dyeing the ginger parts black :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The only thing that will help is time. Anything else is hogwash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Theoretically, wouldn't testosterone increase beardage?

Not suggesting OP should go and get some if that's even possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

high levels of testosterone are known to have an effect on baldness....Im not sure but I think oestrogen is a better hormone for thick healthy hair.Plus, women are attracted to bald men due to baldness being an indicator of high levels of testosterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Dord wrote: »
    The only thing that will help is time. Anything else is hogwash.

Last time I grew a beard I used hogwash everyday - worked a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

My advice is for you to grow it out over five to six weeks and then shave it off and start from scratch. It may seem crazy but it will look better on the second go in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Apolloyon wrote: »
    My advice is for you to grow it out over five to six weeks and then shave it off and start from scratch. It may seem crazy but it will look better on the second go in my opinion.
    Fairly chunky goatee in your profile pic anyway...

I'd trust Apolloyon...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Related to testosterone:
    Go to the pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

high levels of testosterone are known to have an effect on baldness....Im not sure but I think oestrogen is a better hormone for thick healthy hair.Plus, women are attracted to bald men due to baldness being an indicator of high levels of testosterone.

Right...where did you get that bright idea?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well as a beard grows it thickens before it gets longer... so I recon you'd be better off trimming it then letting it grow out then shave off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

different people, different genetics, different beards.

I dont think shaving more makes much difference, I'm able to grow a pretty long beard when I leave it for a few months but there are still parts that dont grow fully

beards.jpg

I'm 21, pic on the left is after about 2 and a half to 3 weeks, pic on the right was after a few months. I know people who could grow what I have in the left pic in maybe 3 or 4 days easily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Shaving doesn't speed up growth, it's a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Dord wrote: »
    Shaving doesn't speed up growth, it's a myth.

No, but if its your first time ever growing a beard, you get all the bumfluff (for want of a better description!). Let it grow out, shave it off, and the next time you grow a beard it wont have that, and will appear thicker

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

newmug wrote: »
    No, but if its your first time ever growing a beard, you get all the bumfluff (for want of a better description!). Let it grow out, shave it off, and the next time you grow a beard it wont have that, and will appear thicker

The only thing that gets rid of the fluff is puberty.

Shaving it off and growing it back later works because..well..later you're just further along in puberty :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The ability to grow a beard varies from man to man. Give it time and you'll be able to grow a beast of a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

im growing a beard right now, about 8 weeks into it so far, but my cheeks seem slightly dense not enough hairs i think

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A week lol! You can't tell, just let it grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

As the lads said. just give it time. im kinda happy with my beard now. Trimmed it a little last week and ended up trimming to much but sure it will grow back to its coolness.
    ok was gonna throw up an ould pic but Im to ugly haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

A true mark of manliness. I am rarely 'without beard'.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's a pain waiting for it to really come in. The first few weeks it'll look horrendous. Because of my job and having to look presentable, I had a month off over Christmas and just let it grow then. You need at least 3 weeks (I waited four weeks), then get an electric razor and give it a bit of a trim and tidy up the edges. But one week is nothing. Give it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Acidjoker

Beards are great!!
    http://www.biggerbetterbeards.org/

But it can take time to grow a nice beards. Patience is the most important ingredient here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

different people, different genetics, different beards.

I dont think shaving more makes much difference, I'm able to grow a pretty long beard when I leave it for a few months but there are still parts that dont grow fully

beards.jpg

I'm 21, pic on the left is after about 2 and a half to 3 weeks, pic on the right was after a few months. I know people who could grow what I have in the left pic in maybe 3 or 4 days easily...

where'd you get that hat?

Advertisement