Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

obriea3 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Any opinions out there on the best RSS reader for WP7? I have used Yomomedia with a Windows Mobile 6.5 device (HTC HD2). I see its not free on WP7 however. I don't mind paying for it, but I'd be interested in trying others that might be good first.
    Using an Omnia 7 btw.

Thanks

Personally, I've found the Google Reader web client to be the best reader. I have it pinned to my start menu http://www.google.com/reader/i/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

obriea3 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Any opinions out there on the best RSS reader for WP7? I have used Yomomedia with a Windows Mobile 6.5 device (HTC HD2). I see its not free on WP7 however. I don't mind paying for it, but I'd be interested in trying others that might be good first.
    Using an Omnia 7 btw.

Thanks

I use Weave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

"We have recieved your device from the service center and will send it back to you immediately again.

We wish you a nice weekend.
    Sincerely,
    Martina Löffelmann"

(It's translated for non-german speakers out there :P)

Good news :D

(Can't have a good weekend, have to study for maths matriculation tests for college.... damn LC results...:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Anyone using an Omnia, what's the best sat nav app for UK and Ireland? Need to get one today.

Did you decide on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I tell you what does annoy me is that the apps are so expensive. Plants vs Zombies is 4.99e and its what 99cent on the iphone.

Our version is more complete than one on ios or android.

Then again theres alot less people with wp7 making purchases so devs need to put up their price to get their money back

• Advertisement

I tell you what does annoy me is that the apps are so expensive. Plants vs Zombies is 4.99e and its what 99cent on the iphone.

There's so much more competion and users on the iPhone that they do charge less, hopefully this will change. I normally wait for the sales but I couldn't wait for Plants vs Zombies, cool game. I'm waiting for Tentacles now :D

Then again theres alot less people with wp7 making purchases so devs need to put up their price to get their money back

Addong achievements hardly makes it "more complete". They're the exact same. As is Fruit Ninja (Which has achievements on iOS too). Microsoft determine the prices, not the Devs. They use the Xbox brand as an excuse to charge more.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Addong achievements hardly makes it "more complete". They're the exact same. As is Fruit Ninja (Which has achievements on iOS too). Microsoft determine the prices, not the Devs. They use the Xbox brand as an excuse to charge more.

Is it really Microsoft who set the prices? I was sure it was the developer who set the price but the lowest price a game could be sold for is set by Microsoft which is 1.99

It has more mini games and garden. Not just achievements

I usually just wait for deal of the week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Come on MS, get mango out already, its pretty much debugged completely now, so should be out in a few weeks, but knowing them, it will be a few months till we get it.

• Advertisement

My mistake. Though the iOS version does have the garden too.

Other games also illustrate my point, Doodle Jump and Fruit Ninja are identical. I've had them both on my iTouch and WP7.

In the last few days, whenever I active my phone, the date/time takes a couple of seconds to appear, anyone else experiencing this?

My mistake. Though the iOS version does have the garden too.

Other games also illustrate my point, Doodle Jump and Fruit Ninja are identical. I've had them both on my iTouch and WP7.

In the last few days, whenever I active my phone, the date/time takes a couple of seconds to appear, anyone else experiencing this?

The devs behind planT's and zombies said that anyway.

You could have a listen to wp7 dev podcast on Zune. They have some interesting stuff on it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Mango should be released very shortly. There is a smartphone launching with mango in japan sometime this week :)

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/fujitsu-launching-the-first-windows-phone-mango-devices-this-week-20110822/

Also there is a new acer phone with hdmi out:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/acer-m310-windows-phone-said-to-have-hdmi-out-8gb-storage/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

And Zune v4.8 is out. Some interesting changes in it...
    Faster Windows Phone updates

One important job of the Zune software is to update your Windows Phone software. In version 4.8, we’ve streamlined the process to help get your phone up and running again faster with the latest features and fixes.
    • Progressive updates: In Zune 4.8, you only have to click the update button once for multiple updates. Once an update is finished, the software automatically checks for more and repeats the installation process until your phone is completely up to date.
    • Streamlined backup. By synching media separately from other phone content, we’ve lowered the overall time it takes to back up your phone. The backup file is also more compact, so it should take up less space on your computer.
    • Skip phone backup: If you don’t have enough room on your computer to store a phone backup file, you’ll now have the option to skip this step so you’re not blocked from updating your phone.

Now available: Zune 4.8 - Windows Phone Blog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Every time I see an update for zune, I think mango was just released... then read up on the net :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'd be very interested in a Nokia running WM7.

But there's a frustrating lack of clarity in regards to release dates, prices etc. nada.

I find 4.8 pretty underwhelming. Where is the App Management? Where are the Audiobooks?

I find 4.8 pretty underwhelming. Where is the App Management? Where are the Audiobooks?

You like to complain alot :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

You like to complain alot :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

While that is true, its a little justified here. I've had a WP7 since a couple of weeks after launch. And have had an 80GB Zune too. Neither have good/easy audio book support. The Zune requires 3rd party software that makes it near-impossible to add any audio books you didn't buy from Audible/Overdrive. And WP7 has no desktop audio book support at all. And the App Management thing kind of speaks for itself.

WP7 is the best Phone OS I've used, but it pains me to see the stupid mistakes that MS are making with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's the deal with Mango, I got all excited about it and then read up on it and was more than a little underwhelmed. Will existing Windows 7 phones/hardware be automatically eligible for upgrade to it, and will they be capable of running it ok? Or is there a new suite of phones coming out to match it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's the deal with Mango, I got all excited about it and then read up on it and was more than a little underwhelmed. Will existing Windows 7 phones/hardware be automatically eligible for upgrade to it, and will they be capable of running it ok? Or is there a new suite of phones coming out to match it?
    All existing phones will be able to upgrade to it, and there will be a batch of new phones available with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I updated the PlayTo app today - now it's called SmartShare. But when I start it, it tells me that in order to use it I've to update my phone to the newest version of Windows Phone. I'm running the developer version of Mango. Ouch. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

quad_red wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in a Nokia running WM7.

But there's a frustrating lack of clarity in regards to release dates, prices etc. nada.

So am I. As far as I can gather 'Sea Ray' will be announced sometime in October/November and will be fairly similar to the N9 hardware and price wise. It will most likely be after Christmas before we see it in Ireland though? I also read somewhere that Nokia is planning on following up Sea Ray with at least 4/5 more WP7 devices next year

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Guys,
    Just got an Omnia 7 :).
    Buddy of mine sent me a business card message this morning. The thing is I can't seem to open it. Its in the conversation view but there doesn't seem to be an option to open it :confused:.

Is stupid old me missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Did you configure MMS yet as message may be using that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have MMS working on mine (Omnia 7 aswell). I use the network profile changer app from the Samsung section of the marketplace to set the phone up. I think it need the mobile data connection turned on to work, not totally sure about that (don't use MMS very often).

I think MMS is separate from business card texts anyway, I don't think WP7 supports those (which is a bit of an oversight imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

windows phone will finally support tethering :D

Link

Trevor451 wrote: »

Link

My head just exploded with joy. brb.

Trevor451 wrote: »

Link

It had it in NoDo already. None of the carriers or OEM ' s bothered to enable it :(

• Advertisement

It had it in NoDo already. None of the carriers or OEM ' s bothered to enable it :(

That was different, you could edit the registry to enable USB tethering, this allows you to use WIFI tethering allowing up to 5 devices to use your phone as a WIFI hot spot. This is completly new in Mango :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement