Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I'm just making others aware that Philips wouldn't be known for brilliant picture quality

That's a pretty sweeping statement - Philips are doing quite well in the TV awards at the moment and people have to take a range of issues, including budget, into account when choosing their kit. Take the hint - sniping here is not appreciated.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hmmm, activity on this thread again :)

Well, in that case I'll post a little update pic...
    15092008281.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

The Ritz wrote: »
    That's a pretty sweeping statement - Philips are doing quite well in the TV awards at the moment and people have to take a range of issues, including budget, into account when choosing their kit. Take the hint - sniping here is not appreciated.

Ritz.

Maybe they've improved as of late I just have a bad experience of a certain ambilight :(. Never particularly thought of them as a budget TV I've bought LGs and Samsungs for less than Philips for that very reason

Didn't know people were so sensitive not like I was suggesting go get an OLED....god I want an OLED

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@covey09 - ;)

@Hi Fi Keith - noted.

All,

I'd be happy to see an end to this lads - lots of scope for discussing kit on the relevant forums.

For the sake of the record, this thread is not an opportunity for folks to be "judge and jury" or pi$$ on anyones system or choices. If your comments get an adverse reaction from members here, the usual expected response is to apologise and retract. If you can't play nice, or if you don't know what playing nice is, this isn't the place for you. Happy to help you on your way if needed.

Ritz.

@smokingman

Now that's an Ambilight ! !

Ritz.

• Advertisement

@smokingman

Now that's an Ambilight ! !

Ritz.

Cheers dude, the build is back on the fifth or sixth page of this thread.
    I've tidied it all up a bit since the above pic, finally putting in the skirting boards and adding some trinkets to the walls but it's my proper den now :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mine has had a few changes as well..so latest pics...

Picture004.jpg

Picture018.jpg

mossym wrote: »
    mine has had a few changes as well..so latest pics...

Hate it when drool gets on my keyboard..... :eek: ;)

@mossym,

Loving the size of that room, and the dark wall - is it black ?

Ritz.

@mossym,

Loving the size of that room, and the dark wall - is it black ?

Ritz.

cheers mate, those chairs you can see are less than half way down the room, tehr eis a ton of space still behind, but just not enough for a pool table unfortunately

it's not black, but i did want a very dark color for behind the screen to make teh screen as bright as possible and improve the contrast..so it is a really dark brown, it's chocalate colr i think from the crown indulgence range. i'll try and find a picture of it in daylight so you can see it properly. the light shade on the side walls works very well with it

• Advertisement

this gives a better idea of the screen wall color, this is an older picture so a lot of things have changed

IMG_0011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

@ HiFi Keith, we still await pics of your set-up. All you have showed is a pic of a stand.
    I must take some of mine and post them.

@mossym,

Very effective, and the size of the room gives me the green-eyed jealousy. I have a dedicated room the size of a garage and would dearly love to have a bigger room. I guess i'm lucky to have a dedicated room at all, but still......./dreamy noises......./

Ritz.

@ronaneire,

Please see my comments earlier on the thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62462662&postcount=125

I'm sure we wouldn't want to see baiting or the like.

Thanks,

Ritz.

@mossym,

Very effective, and the size of the room gives me the green-eyed jealousy. I have a dedicated room the size of a garage and would dearly love to have a bigger room. I guess i'm lucky to have a dedicated room at all, but still......./dreamy noises......./

Ritz.

Ritz the dedicated room should always be the priority, it's much more important to have a dedicated room than a big shared room..i just insisted on both when we were house hunting, and even then we bought a half built house where i could dictate the size of my room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

@ronaneire,

Please see my comments earlier on the thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62462662&postcount=125

I'm sure we wouldn't want to see baiting or the like.

Thanks,

Ritz.

I had posted the comment before I had gone to next page :o
    Don't worry it was a once off comment and not meant in way to take the pi$$.

Ronan

@ronaneire,

No problem, we're all good.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My listening setup:

MRoom.jpg

The TV is in another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

cnocbui wrote: »
    My listening setup:

I like. Very nice.

Damn, I must get my act together for my 2 channel room.

Must also photograph my AV cupboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

My listening setup:

nice setup. Ever consider upgrading to the 802D? Those look like the N802's but I cant see clearly enough near the plint to be sure. Any problems with the speakers so close to the rear wall? The 802's are not rear ported if I recall.
    What DAC unit are you using?

I considered a pair of second hand N802's and 803D's last year but ended up going for a pair of Usher Audio speakers instead.

• Advertisement

nereid wrote: »
    I like. Very nice.

Damn, I must get my act together for my 2 channel room.

Must also photograph my AV cupboard...

Thanks. It takes time, sometimes.
    viperirl wrote: »
    nice setup. Ever consider upgrading to the 802D? Those look like the N802's but I cant see clearly enough near the plint to be sure.

Yes, they are the N802's. When I bought them s/h, I still had a pair of 1980's vintage B&W 802 FS's which I had thoroughly enjoyed for 20 or so years, so I had the opportunity to compare them side by side.

What absolutely stunned me was how little of an improvement the N802's were. A noticeably better bottom end and slightly clearer top end but I am not sure the midrange was much improved at all.

If the 802D's are audibly better, I doubt it would be by much, given the degree of progress in the previous two decades. I have listened to a pair of 802D's and they did not strike me as being any better than what I have, but humans don't have much of an audio memory so It was an almost pointless exercise. The one and only way to tell would be to get a pair of each side by side but that would be a near impossibility.

So I am very happy with what I have.
    Any problems with the speakers so close to the rear wall? The 802's are not rear ported if I recall.
    What DAC unit are you using?
    No real problems that I have noted. I know they are not ideally placed but the doorway to the room is just to the right of the rightmost speaker. If it were out from the wall any further than it is, it would be an obstacle to navigation.

There is no DAC other than the one in the iPod. I can't hear a difference between DAC's I have compared so I doubt it is a worthwhile area for expenditure.

I even listen to compressed tracks mostly. ;)
    I considered a pair of second hand N802's and 803D's last year but ended up going for a pair of Usher Audio speakers instead.
    Intriguing.

Would they be the CP-8571 dancer series?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Mossym - class set-up! Certainly one of the nicest on here, and well up there with those on AVF. Kudos.

I wanted to paint my TV wall a dark colour too, like this mock-up:

SittingRoomTVWallHigh-Brown.jpg

But that was pushing it with Mrs M - I got my way with buying it all, so I'm still a very happy camper :D

P4287437.jpg

PA141812.jpg

In time I'll get one of those black casing kits for the Wii, and a PS3 Slim will fit nicely in the middle shelf on the left (Santa, are you peeping in on this thread?). I'll also get a wireless controller bar thing for the Wii, and sort out some storage for all the controllers/games, etc.

My Harmony One will control the PS3 when I get it because I'll get the Logitech PS3 adapter too.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

There is no DAC other than the one in the iPod. I can't hear a difference between DAC's I have compared so I doubt it is a worthwhile area for expenditure.

DAC technology is always improving and they have measurable differences too. The digital to analog stage is crucial and poor implementations can have out of band frequencies geting mixed in with the audio. I would say its an area definitely worth keeping an eye on.
    I even listen to compressed tracks mostly. ;)

well, lets not go there or Ritz will be waving the banning stick in my direction! :D
    Would they be the CP-8571 dancer series?

yes, those are the speakers. The 803D's sounded terrible in my room with considerable bass boom on certain notes. No such problems with the Usher's plus they had a more relaxed top end which suit my listening tastes. I'll try to get a pic up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

well, lets not go there or Ritz will be waving the banning stick in my direction! :D

He's gonna need a bigger stick!

DAC technology is always improving and they have measurable differences too. The digital to analog stage is crucial and poor implementations can have out of band frequencies geting mixed in with the audio. I would say its an area definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Measure vs 'hear.' :rolleyes:

I did carefully constructed listening tests between my iPod, reasonably high end CD player and an el-cheapo region free DVD player and neither I, nor my children could hear a difference between the sources. I have recently acquired a snazzy new phone with a 3.5 headphone jack so I might give that a whirl too sometime but I suspect it will be a similar result, though I will keep an open mind as usual.
    No!, surely not. ;)
    yes, those are the speakers. The 803D's sounded terrible in my room with considerable bass boom on certain notes. No such problems with the Usher's plus they had a more relaxed top end which suit my listening tastes. I'll try to get a pic up soon.
    Do get a pic up. They are a very smart looking speaker from pics I have seen with what looks like first class cabinetry.

Don't go inhaling those Be diaphragms. ;)

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Mossym - class set-up! Certainly one of the nicest on here, and well up there with those on AVF. Kudos.

I wanted to paint my TV wall a dark colour too, like this mock-up:

But that was pushing it with Mrs M - I got my way with buying it all, so I'm still a very happy camper :D

In time I'll get one of those black casing kits for the Wii, and a PS3 Slim will fit nicely in the middle shelf on the left (Santa, are you peeping in on this thread?). I'll also get a wireless controller bar thing for the Wii, and sort out some storage for all the controllers/games, etc.

My Harmony One will control the PS3 when I get it because I'll get the Logitech PS3 adapter too.

Mark
    cheers mate. the color in your mock up is very similar to the color on my wall...

is that a denon amp i spy under the shelf?

the harmony's a re a god send, i'm on my second, have a 1000 now, had an older model before that

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

AVR-2309, indeed. I haven't run the calibration yet, but I'm really enjoying it anyway. I also considered the 1909 when I was buying, but I decided I definitely wanted the extra HDMI in.

Of all my AV gear, the one item I get most excited about is the Harmony. It's not such a big deal today, really, but I marvel at its convenience and simplicity.

Mark

Mark#1 wrote: »
    AVR-2309, indeed. I haven't run the calibration yet, but I'm really enjoying it anyway. I also considered the 1909 when I was buying, but I decided I definitely wanted the extra HDMI in.

Of all my AV gear, the one item I get most excited about is the Harmony. It's not such a big deal today, really, but I marvel at its convenience and simplicity.

Mark

big denon fan myself, there's a 3808 powering my system, ahtough i am thinking of adding a separate power amp for the fronts.

anyhow, nice system

@Mark#1,

Give the calibration a whirl, you could be pleasantly surprised at how effective it is. Before getting the Onkyo with Audessey, I used to calibrate my system with a sound meter and a test tone disc, which was nerdy fun, but not as geeky convenient as Audessey !

Ritz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Melvinjames18

very impressive:eek:
    I wish I could have such cinema in my house:(

Advertisement