Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terry Pratchett - where to start?

• 19-03-2015 11:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

An old colleague of mine used to praise his stuff to the heights but Ive yet to indulge. What order should the Discworld series be read in? Or could I just jump to the acclaimed "Small Gods" for example?

A couple of people in the "RIP Terry" thread in After Hours posted up some charts with graphics, but they just confused the issue more! ;) His output was so prodigious it's hard to know where to start.

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I keep it simple and just read through them in order tbh. Guaranteed not to miss any subtle in jokes that way. I'm happy to jump between characters, storylines etc, keeps things fresh.

Realistically it doesn't matter that much where you start, you can pick up any of the discworld books and enjoy it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

Cool, so The Colour Of Magic and then The Light Fantastic etc?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah exactly. The Colour of Magic is a great book anyway!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I usually recommend Guards! Guards! as a starter for someone completely new to the genre as it's the start of a particular arc that I think is the best. Colour of magic is good jumping on point too.

I envy you. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Thanks My3Cents. They're the ones I dont understand though :) Perhaps I need to give them another (and closer) look.

Steve King wrote: »
    Thanks My2Cents. They're the ones I dont understand though :) Perhaps I need to give them another (and closer) look.

It groups the novels together into series and indicates the first novel in each series.

So you can start the of reading the Witches series with Equal Rites (as an example) and if you like the Witches you then know which other novels follow the Witches.

I read them all in Chronological order first time around then listened to most of them them in random order and have since gone back and read/listened to them all in the order suggested on the Lspace site. If I read them again (will leave it at least a year) I'll do it in the suggested Lspace order.

Ive just downloaded "The Colour Of Magic" and am already liking his style on the Foreward.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Those reading order guides are a bit ..... silly?

They're compiled by people who are planning their ideal re-read, and only really make sense as such. Start at book one, proceed to book two... Enjoy.

You lucky B'zugda-hiara. I'd love to have all those books unread in front of me. There should have been many more.

:(

endacl wrote: »

Yes it seems a bit strange to retroactively re-read them in a different order but even the Wiki page has a "Order To Read Books In" section.

Ok, "Colour Of Magic" .... Im going in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Steve King wrote: »
    Yes it seems a bit strange to retroactively re-read them in a different order but even the Wiki page has a "Order To Read Books In" section.

Ok, "Colour Of Magic" .... Im going in :)

Don't forget to sort out some in-sewer-ants first. And keep yer eye on Dibbler!

Edit: Anybody want to to make a bit of an aul' book club out of this? I started again with TCOM on the night Pterry passed away. I'm almost done with Book one, but happy to wait for you to catch up. Compare notes between a first time adult reader, a yet-again-one-more-time reader with the memory of the early teenager who read it the year it was published, and anybody else who wants to join in? As I mentioned on another thread, I have the last three sitting on a shelf, unread, because after TP announced his diagnosis, I knew there'd be no more. It'd be nice to have a little company when I get there...

endacl wrote: »

They're compiled by people who are planning their ideal re-read, and only really make sense as such. Start at book one, proceed to book two... Enjoy.

You lucky B'zugda-hiara. I'd love to have all those books unread in front of me. There should have been many more.

:(

I see them as fairly logical. Definitely no reason to read them in any order but if you find that you like a character, Vimes for example, then its handy to know which other Watch novels to look out for.

Advertisement