Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 84 - changing from UCD to Blackrock?

• 08-09-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭

Just a quick post to see if anyone knows whether the 84 is changing from going to UCD to Blackrock instead? A friend's workmate's son was told by a bus driver apparently!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Moved from Infrastructure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Cianos wrote: »
    Just a quick post to see if anyone knows whether the 84 is changing from going to UCD to Blackrock instead? A friend's workmate's son was told by a bus driver apparently!

Thanks

if that's true it could lead to them discontinuing the 45

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

84 meet 45! Kil/New to Blackrock
    With the 45a covering Oldcourt.
    T'is the future.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sadly,this somewhat incredible suggestion has indeed surfaced at recent Company Briefings on "The next Phaze".

It is at times like this that I am minded of Abraham Lincoln,s remark as he relieved General Burnside of his command...."Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory".

Perhaps this has more to do with IKEA's rumoured arrival to Cherrywood,when the original proposed frequent 84 service to that spot starts to make sense...or maybe it;s just the approach of Christmas... :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps this has more to do with IKEA's rumoured arrival to Cherrywood

if that happened it would be f***in epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If this is true I wonder will it continue to serve UCD and then follow the routing of the 17 to Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why would Ikea build a store in Cherrywood when they have one just up the road...

why would Ikea build a store in Cherrywood when they have one just up the road...

lolcats-funny-pictures-questionmark.jpg

If this is true I wonder will it continue to serve UCD and then follow the routing of the 17 to Blackrock.

After dumping at New park school, uturn and southbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine they feel that there is a market for both, especially with south Dublin being a prime market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm sitting on an 84 at the moment, and the driver was warning everyone getting on that it'd be moving to Blackrock in February.

Poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Raphael wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm sitting on an 84 at the moment, and the driver was warning everyone getting on that it'd be moving to Blackrock in February.

Poo.

Did the driver say any more info on what date and also the route it would be taking to Blackrock?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lolcats-funny-pictures-questionmark.jpg

In Ikea terms, Ballymun is "just up the road". They initially claimed one store the size of Dublin would sort the entire *island* out and so far they seem sort of right - Belfast is losing money; but Dublin's making insane profits.

They're definitely going to open another store in the Republic but Mallow was the main touted location. Cherrywood appears to be a Herald concoction.

Raphael wrote: »

Poo.

Its on the cards but no date yet. The guys are doing 46a adjustments at the moment, then 84/45 merger the 44/3 merger. So you cam relax for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Its on the cards but no date yet. The guys are doing 46a adjustments at the moment, then 84/45 merger the 44/3 merger. So you cam relax for a while at least.

Merging the 44 and the 3... That is a strange one!

The guys are doing 46a adjustments at the moment

thought they were all done and dusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Again I'd take all of this with a pinch of salt (no offence to our driver contributors).

Until firm plans are published on the Dublin Bus website, they are still rumours and in the past such rumours have been shown to be well wide of the mark. The company could be looking at a variety of options, but until they make a final decision and publish them in the public domain I'd take them with a degree of latitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That's from 4 months ago!

thought they were all done and dusted?

Its a tweaking of the trips that handover late around 9am-10am. A few minutes here and there.

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Merging the 44 and the 3... That is a strange one!

Enniskerry via parnell sq to Larkhill. Popped up at the last meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Whether they appeared at meetings or not - they're just still potential mergers. Until they actually confirm them on the website they could well not happen. We all know how plans can change!

That merger would make some sense retaining the 3 as a cross-city route - the original plan of terminating at Parnell Square left an awful lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

That's from 4 months ago!

woops! Friend sent it to me on FB last night /blaming someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeah, now that I'm at a keyboard and can expound, it did just seem like the driver had found out internally and was putting word out. I'm just hoping it doesn't change till it gets a bit warmer, so cycling is a nicer alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    Again I'd take all of this with a pinch of salt (no offence to our driver contributors).

Until firm plans are published on the Dublin Bus website, they are still rumours and in the past such rumours have been shown to be well wide of the mark. The company could be looking at a variety of options, but until they make a final decision and publish them in the public domain I'd take them with a degree of latitude.

Good sound advice,with the (very) active proviso that the Bray area changes are in the very final stages of negotiation.

These changes will,I'm afraid,be quite contentious and involve no small amount of potential for both internal and external conflict.

There appears to be,yet again a reversion to Local Area Networking with the Bray Area routes rather than an attempt to open up Bray to bus borne explorers from the far northern fringes of our Capital.....:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is speculated that it is coming down on the line on the 12th of February 2012.

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/public-meeting-organised-in-kilcoole-to-fight-the-cuts-to-the-84-and-45-bus-routes/

Just got this by reading the other article about Cllr Stokes. It is not surprising that SF held a meeting on this development last night.

EDIT* It now says they are putting on a protest outside Greystones Town Council on Tuesday 31st January.

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/protest-planned-for-dublin-bus-officials-visit-to-greystones-town-council-meeting/

I do want to make a few points about the secondary schools and Colleges, particularly in Blackrock, Cllr Stokes IMO is very wrong much here.

If the 84 does go down through say Mount Merrion Avenue, there is a wide range of schools including Sion Hill, Froebel College, Blackrock College, St Andrews College and Benincasa.

Most of these are within seconds walk from the bus stops on Mount Merrion.

A lot of these students I've seen use the 45 to get to Bray.

I say that especially for the students along Newtownpark Avenue including those from Newpark Comprehensive School, St Augustine's School, Hollypark and Guardian Angels NS.

There is also a new 3rd level college being built in Blackrock at the moment which would cater for those students mainly who do not have access to the DART.

Newpark, Andrews and BC would have a total of up to 2,000 students between the three of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Enniskerry via parnell sq to Larkhill. Popped up at the last meeting.
    Why?

The already-long routes aren't working out, just as predicted. Isn't it about time that the bus passengers stopped being so passive about the rearranging of the Titanic's deck chairs, so to speak, and steer the ship away from the icebergs...?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

He's calling for the 84 to run every half hour to Cherrywood in Summer time, that was the original plan before he whipped up the "wont someone think of teh students" hysterics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

Dublin Bus told me that they "are currently working through options, details will be announced on twitter, facebook, our website and in press closer to the time."

I wrote to the NTA who told me that any route changes would require their approval and that they hadn't received any such application yet.

The 45 service is too infrequent and unpredictable (every 45mins) to be of much use along Clonkeen and Stradbrook Roads (from the N11 at Cornelscourt to Blackrock) . Routing an hourly 84 along here would at least raise the frequency to 25mins. Add in some real-time displays and the service would be usable again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Where did you hear that they will be making 46a adjustments? What adjustments will be made? Will it be routing adjustments or frequency adjustments or both?

If the 45 and 84 are indeed to be merged as per the many rumors going around, they should at least have a half hourly or better frequency at peak times. While Clonkeen Road lies within close range of the 4 and 46a routes in certain parts, it still acts as a connecting road for Cherrywood, Cabinteely, Cornelscourt, Deansgrange and Blackrock. As such, there is a strong business case for a better service between these areas. I am aware that Clonkeen Road is serviced by the 63 bus route. However, it's alignment is, by and large, completely different to the overall purpose and routing of the 84 and 45.

In my opinion, the under-usage of Clonkeen Road by buses is one of the main reasons why buses aren't gathering strong loadings. I have said it before and I will say it again, skeleton routes or routes with a frequency of 45 minutes or lower will not do as well as ones that come every 30 minutes or more. This is simply because frequency sells. The 46a is a route that does well because it is very frequent. This is the exact same with the 145. The prospect of waiting at a bus stop for any more than 30 minutes is daunting and isn't exactly an incentive for people to use such a service. While Real Time Passenger Information and other timing mechanisms are a huge help, routes with a frequency of 30 minutes or lower don't offer the amount of flexibility as a route with higher frequency.

Advertisement