Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cecelia Ahern - hack, PS, I hate you, you suck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

"P.S> I love you was a good idea but after the first chapter the writing fell apart How many times did we see "the girls giggled"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I think op is less about literary critic - more about plain old jealously.

Funny how he/she has dissappeared after 1 post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

so how do the functionaly illiterate get thru secondary school and exams?

• Advertisement

a bit off topic -I think English Lit should be a different subject from English optional for poets and dreamers.

I would add PS I love you to it as a reality check.

But where do the literati get the right to restrict literacy or indeed choose to impose their taste on the rest of us? Could it be that the Brontes would go unread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Yes, being Berties daughter opened doors, but that on its own wouldn't have been enough to make her as successful as she is.

i'm sorry but this is laughable. how many other first-time authors got a film deal on their work before they had even finished wrighting the bloody thing? of course she;s riding daddys success. it helps to be in the golden circle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

CDfm wrote: »
    I am serious and I think threads like this are very useful because they discuss how we look at things.For the literati Wuthering Heights is a classic and art. Yet the "Borstal Boy" is a lesson in a simple style as is PS I love you.

Who are these mysterious literati you speak of? :confused:
    Yes, for many people 'Wuthering Heights' is a classic and art, not just for those snobs in their ivory tower who are forcing their love of literature of the 'ordinary Joe'. :rolleyes:

People who become English teachers do so because they are fans and cant see why others cant share their enthusiasm for language and hate these books they love.Convincing themselves and others that the rest of us are thickos and philistines.

Why do you assume why people become English teachers? You don't know their reasons. You seem to have this idea that anybody who has passion for 'serious' literature is a snob who labels others as 'thickos'. It is simply not the case, for the most part, I would say. Perhaps you would like to believe this because it fits your view of boring and difficult literature being 'forced on the little guy'?

To be honest, I find your position a bit ridiculous. Surely if English teachers love literature, they will pass on their enthusiasm to show that these works can be universally- enjoyed, not just by intellectuals but by 'the ordinary Joe'. It is not about being snobby and being above everyone else- quite the opposite, I would say.

Not everyone is inspired by the same stuff - beacause Wuthering Heights is dark and dreary I dont like it. Its nothing to do with the descriptive narrative style -its a headwrecking story and mush.

Very much like Dirty Den in Eastenders Heathcliff shows up without explanation...................to seek revenge and wreak havoc............................

Of course not everyone is inspired by the same stuff- but if you don't give them a shot at difficult literature, how will they ever know if they like it or not? I think saying that " the man on the street will never grasp high literature anyway so don't bother putting it on the course" is actually far more insulting than asking that the 'average joe' try something more difficult than what they're used to.

Also, I thought you had a problem with the Brontes' work because of the 'over descriptive narrative', now you're saying it has 'nothing to do with why you don't like it'. I'm sorry but saying ''it's a headwrecking story and mush'' is not very convincing if you're trying to make a case against it being one of the best novels in the English literature.

I have a choice -lots of people dont - but the system should facilitate and give the ordinary guy the skills to read and enjoy what he wants if only for entertainment.

As donegalfella points out, basic literacy skills are already developed at primary school level. Should the 'ordinary guy' never be able to go beyond that?

Maybe I cant understand one end of a car engine from another or Know my ELCBs from my trip switches but the guys who do those jobs need functional literacy.

And they should have functional literacy from primary school- what's your point?

Also, why can't a car mechanic enjoy 'Wuthering Heights'? Is he too much of an 'ordinary joe' for all that high-falutin' rubbish? :rolleyes:

IF I find the content of a book on a bit of the flaky side or depressing - I wont fake liking it for kudos.

You don't have to 'fake liking it'.

You're demonstrating here why precisely you don't grasp what teaching literature and literary criticism is about.

It's not about fawning over the classics and looking down on people who don't share your taste- it's about the developing the critical skills to explain why or why not you don't like it in a more concise way than ''it's a head wrecking story''.

a bit off topic -I think English Lit should be a different subject from English optional for poets and dreamers.

But where do the literati get the right to restrict literacy or indeed choose to impose their taste on the rest of us? Could it be that the Brontes would go unread?

Why do you insist on labeling people as 'poets and dreamers' and 'the literati'?

Isn't it possible that everyone should get to enjoy great literature and not be pandered to with airport novels?

For example, I come from a very working-class family. I'm the first one to go to university. Fifty years ago , as a working class girl,I would probably never have gotten the chance to go to college and study great literature precisely because of this kind of thinking i.e. that I'm an ordinary Joe and I wouldn't get it anyway. I know this was the case with my older relatives.

And whatever you have against the Brontes, I think it's fairly laughable to suggest that they would go unread just because they're not taught in schools.

To be honest, I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time writing this as you haven't responded to my other posts. Oh well, I feel very passionately about this subject, and if it was ever decided to remove great literature from schools just because the 'ordinary guy' can't handle it, I think it would be a very sad day.

I lifted the label thickos from another literati. Donegalfella is the arch literati- and he has admitted to liking Yeats too.

But there is more to English then literature and I have no doubt that people enjoy the Brontes Wuthering Heights at that level.Fraustrated female living on the moor seeks psycho -it might say on Match.com

But the teaching of English is not just literature and thats my point -its functional literacy as well. Why shouldnt a lad not be able to read a football programme or the horescopes. English teachers do have a responsibility - and thats reading and writing.So what happens those who havent those skills after primary. If they are not up to standard send them back.

Im not saying a guy cant like these works. Im just saying I dont.I could never be enthused by it. Part of that is the drab storylines. I also cant get enthused by poets descibing flights of herons or woods in snow. But a dirty old greyhound dog winning a race might do it.

Im not saying the ordinary guy cant handle it or tackle it. Im just saying he may not want to and may prefer the car manual or a book about a greyhound or a footballer.

I have no problem with you liking those books as they are to your taste and as challenging and beautifully written as they are -to me they are headwrecking mush.

Its great that you like the stuff and have read all this great literature -and if its any concilation I dont like Eastenders either.I just cant get enthused.

I lifted the label thickos from another literati. Donegalfella is the arch literati- and he has admitted to liking Yeats too.

So what if he likes Yeats? :confused: How does this make him the 'arch-literati'? Tbh, I would be pretty annoyed at being labeled that way were I donegalfella.

You're just labeling people as this and that, not arguing your point sufficiently, in my opinion.

You're missing my basic point- it's not about being a literati or a 'thicko'- everybody should get the chance to at least try literature. And they won't get the chance if they have to deal with 'P.S. I Love You' instead of Shakespeare.

But there is more to English then literature and I have no doubt that people enjoy the Brontes Wuthering Heights at that level.Fraustrated female living on the moor seeks psycho -it might say on Match.com

Fair enough if that's all you got out of 'Wuthering Heights'. But just because others can see beyond a potential advert on match.com it doesn't make them snobs, or literary bores.

But the teaching of English is not just literature and thats my point -its functional literacy as well. Why shouldnt a lad not be able to read a football programme or the horescopes. English teachers do have a responsibility - and thats reading and writing.So what happens those who havent those skills after primary. If they are not up to standard send them back.

I'm not entirely sure you're familiar with the teaching of English at secondary level. That's not meant to sound condescending but it seems you don't know exactly what's on the course. For the Leaving and Junior Cert exams,Paper 1 is generally involved with functional writing (letters, newspapers, reviews, etc). Paper 2 is involved with poetry, literature, drama and all the rest. So, I believe both literature and functional writing is covered- so what's the problem?

Secondly, the lad in question can read about football or horoscopes at home. He doesn't need to come to a secondary school English lesson to learn how to do that.

In the case that people don't have reading and writing skills after primary school, I believe it is the fault of the primary school teacher. Taking Shakespeare off the Leaving Cert syllabus won't do a thing for kids who can't read and write after 8 years in school.

Im not saying a guy cant like these works. Im just saying I dont.I could never be enthused by it. Part of that is the drab storylines. I also cant get enthused by poets descibing flights of herons or woods in snow. But a dirty old greyhound dog winning a race might do it.

Im not saying the ordinary guy cant handle it or tackle it. Im just saying he may not want to and may prefer the car manual or a book about a greyhound or a footballer.

I have no problem with you liking those books as they are to your taste and as challenging and beautifully written as they are -to me they are headwrecking mush.

Its great that you like the stuff and have read all this great literature -and if its any concilation I dont like Eastenders either.I just cant get enthused.

That's fair enough if you don't like cerrtain writers, but you seem to basically arguing ''I don't like the Brontes / Dickens/ Shakespeare and I think Cecelia Aherne is better, therefore I think Aherne should be taught in schools instead''. This is not the basis for selecting texts for students to study nor should it be. It should not be about patronizing or pandering to students. It should be about challenging them and using more difficult literature to develop critical skills.

• Advertisement

Acacia wrote: »
    So what if he likes Yeats? :confused: How does this make him the 'arch-literati'? Tbh, I would be pretty annoyed at being labeled that way were I donegalfella.

I'm not entirely sure you're familiar with the teaching of English at secondary level. That's not meant to sound condescending but it seems you don't know exactly what's on the course. For the Leaving and Junior Cert exams,Paper 1 is generally involved with functional writing (letters, newspapers, reviews, etc). Paper 2 is involved with poetry, literature, drama and all the rest. So, I believe both literature and functional writing is covered- so what's the problem?

In the case that people don't have reading and writing skills after primary school, I believe it is the fault of the primary school teacher.

That's fair enough if you don't like cerrtain writers, but you seem to basically arguing ''I don't like the Brontes / Dickens/ Shakespeare and I think Cecelia Aherne is better, therefore I think Aherne should be taught in schools instead''.

You dont understand but he likes Joyce too.

But the Brontes and Shakespeare are period pieces and I cant see why they are studied TBH.

You dont understand but he likes Joyce too.

But the Brontes and Shakespeare are period pieces and I cant see why they are studied TBH.

Liking Joyce and Yeats doesn't make him a literati. That's just his personal taste. Just like liking Cecelia Aherne doesn't make one a bimbo.

I don't see how being a 'period piece' equates to them not being studied? Mozart is 'period music'- should he not be studied by music students? Perhaps they should study Beyoncé and Katy Perry instead. They are more accessible after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

For what, how bad books can be??

In any field of study as you go on you progress in knowledge etc etc. For example in Maths we learn how to add first, then a few bits, and then some algebra and some differentiation. It would be ridiculous if average secondary students were still learning to add, don't you think?

What your suggesting is that the kids learn to read at a basic level in primary school, and then they go onto to secondary school where there kept at the same level of basic shallow writing. Instead as they progress the books they read should become deeper and more literary like as that is what is called progress, which is one of the ideas of education.

Liking Joyce and Yeats doesn't make him a literati. That's just his personal taste. Just like liking Cecelia Aherne doesn't make one a bimbo.

I don't see how being a 'period piece' equates to them not being studied? Mozart is 'period music'- should he not be studied by music students? Perhaps they should study Beyoncé and Katy Perry instead. They are more accessible after all.

My point is that English study should be split between English language and english literature at school. As competence in one doesnt nesscessarily mean competence in the other.

Cecilia Aherne is more of a role model then the Brontes who all died young and only one married or had a relationship.Emo is as emo does. As a period book Wuthering Heights has its place but as english literature to influence young impressionable minds it should be consigned to the recycling bin with Peig.

Concider this.Despite all the efforts of people like you to promote a love of literature you promote a hatred of it and it is very elitist.What you promote is introspective rubbish which is only targeted towards other introspective people who like that sort of thing.

I use the car manual as an example - but when finishing secondary school can anyone actually write a description of a car radio operation with any precision?

Like it or not - you teach students not to understand literature for its merit only because its on the syllabus and the exam. Enough to get by. Yes I agree that literature has its place and the expression of higher thought is useful-but where is the fun?

turgon wrote: »
    For what, how bad books can be??

What your suggesting is that the kids learn to read at a basic level in primary school, and then they go onto to secondary school where there kept at the same level of basic shallow writing. Instead as they progress the books they read should become deeper and more literary like as that is what is called progress, which is one of the ideas of education.

You are unwilling to concider Cecilia Ahernes book on its own level.

I am suggesting that if you look at this as the lowest common denominator then for any student to go thru the secondary english programme and come out the other end without being able to read it is laughable.

For 25% of the adult population of Ireland not to have functional literacy shows how out of touch education is.Fail. By all means do your deep stuff but dont forget its also there fore the basics. You couldnt motivate me to read mindless drivel like the Brontes today.

But the reality is you are not teaching higher thought to these kids as they are not mature enough for it. If you were you would teach that Yeats was horny for Maud Gonne and got blown out. Really -the stuff taught in schools is far too heavy.Its "emo" as in emotional shoegazing stuff - a teenager might describe Keats as an "emo" poet.

The Sun story is a very good example - it is very concise and each sentence works - the most important at the start and bangs out key points in descending order of importance.Importantly it conveys a story of an individual loosing his temper and acting inappropriately.

So where is the moral. There isnt -just facts -it elimates speculation as to motives.What you see is what you get -but it does tell you it was emotionally charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I feel compelled to comment on this.

1) disclaimer: I have never read PS I Love You or any subsequent output. The last piece of chicklit which I read was probably something by Marian Keyes.

2) I have some opinions on English as it was taught when I was going through the system. Even if the details have changed, I suspect that the policy hasn't changed.

3) I have read Wuthering Heights. And Pride and Prejudice. And pretty much everything which Jane Austen has written.

4) I have read Othello plus Romeo and Juliet. I have heard of Christopher Marlowe.

Hindsight is very good in deciding what's good, great and what's not. Being popular is not evidence of being good or bad, it's just evidence of being popular.

What society considers as good changes not unlike fashion. Hence, literary styles change. There are many genres as well. As such, I think that discussion on what constitutes literature and what does not is an elitist argument. At the end of the day, what matters more is what you enjoy reading. Pride and Prejudice and its ilk remain popular not because it's good by any literary definition of the word good - if it was, you'd be bunching it in with Ulysses which in my experience is borderline unreadable - but because people still enjoy reading it. You could, if you were a fan of Emily Bronte, claim the same for Wuthering Heights. I thought it was tripe.

No one claims that PS I love you is anything other than popular fiction. Anyone who is arguing that it is not good literature is presenting a straw man argument. The key word here is "popular" and not "great". If you don't want to read it, if you don't enjoy reading it, you're still not really entitled to castigate all those who did or do. We are not, as it happens, writing a Junior or Leaving Certificate critique of the book, we are just paying or not paying as it may happen 10.99 for the damn thing. If you are going to read too much into it just because she is who she is and you want to apply a higher level of criticism to it, then I think you are firmly in the wrong. If another unknown 20 year old managed to write it, it would not receive the same hallowed criticism. In other words, giving it greater attention for literary criticism, you fall into the same hole as those you accuse of giving her greater attention just because she's famous. You're doing exactly the same thing.

I haven't read the book, remember, but a lot of people have, some liked it, some didn't. However, the same is true for nearly all of James Joyce's output. There is nothing special about that.

With respect to English as it is taught in secondary level schools, I have always thought that it should be split into two subjects, English literature and English language. There are a number of reasons for this: 1) as noted previously, we have a comparatively low literacy rate and 2) English is also a tool for communication. When I did Leaving Certificate English, 25% of the marks were awarded for your ability to write and 75% on the literature element of the course. This compared badly to the situation with Irish where I think the split was something like 40% to 60%. Still not ideal but at least it recognised that part of the issue with languages is the need to use them to communicate effectively. It was entirely possible to prep literature answers in a way which I do not think is so easy with developing your own writing skills.

That being said, Ireland has a comparatively high rate of interest in reading - our per capita book sales for example have been said to be higher than in the UK.

I think that a lot of people who attach importance to literary values - whatever they are - miss a key problem which a lot of the rest of us have with that importance - it's that not everyone agrees. I don't, per se, care too much what people read. I do care that they have the freedom, more or less, to read what they want to read without them being overly criticised for those choices.

I do think that it is beneficial for people to read at least one Shakespeare play in their lives but I also feel that there is some scope to broaden the novel section of the course and to encourage people to read and discuss other books beyond the prescribed reading list. If the English literature course is failing to do this, then we need to ask why. I suspect that elitism is a big problem. People don't like to be instructed to read worthy books, such as, for example, Charles Dicken. Prescription can be damaging. However, with respect to major historical literary books, if they are that good, they will stand up as they have done so far. A signal number of others have not.

For me, Jane Austen is pure chicklit - just because the term only existed in the 1990s and onwards doesn't mean that the concept does not predate it by a whole lot longer.

If you stand back from this and then imply that perhaps it would be better if people didn't read at all if all they want to read is something you can only find it within yourself to disparage, then perhaps you do not really get the point of reading. All it is - regardless of what you are into - is a method of diverting yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

You couldnt motivate me to read mindless drivel like the Brontes today.

You couldnt motivate me to take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

a teenager might describe Keats as an "emo" poet.
    Oh, come on!

I will arise now, and go to Innis Free,
    And in a small cabin there, listen to a Marilyn Manson CD.

LOL:p

Calina wrote: »

if it was, you'd be bunching it in with Ulysses which in my experience is borderline unreadable

With respect to English as it is taught in secondary level schools, I have always thought that it should be split into two subjects, English literature and English language. There are a number of reasons for this: 1) as noted previously, we have a comparatively low literacy rate and 2) English is also a tool for communication. When I did Leaving Certificate English, 25% of the marks were awarded for your ability to write and 75% on the literature element of the course.

For me, Jane Austen is pure chicklit - just because the term only existed in the 1990s and onwards doesn't mean that the concept does not predate it by a whole lot longer.

Calina - you put it a lot better then I could.I thought I was the only person who thought of Austen and the Brontes as chicklit.

I am just saying that to get into literature you have to like the books. I have read Joyce and agree its virtually unreadable-even when you decypher it you wonder why you bothered.

I do like literature and art and am quite well read. The thing is I dont really get off on the use of language or technique.

I havent read Marian Keyes but I understand she tackles an older demographic than Aherne and wonder why Aherne can attract such criticism. Maeve Binchy doesnt attract such criticism and she was a well known journalist when she first published.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Oh, come on!

Keats not Yeats.

Surely Emily Dickinson is the Emo Poet. I always liked Emily Dickinson. She was real. :( I feel a Funeral in my brain.

My point is that English study should be split between English language and english literature at school. As competence in one doesnt nesscessarily mean competence in the other.

It is split between language and literature study! Basic literacy skills are grounded in primary school, and then more emphasis is put on using these skills to deal with difficult texts in secondary school. However, language skills are also tested in secondary school (usually in the Paper 1 of the Leaving Cert and Junior Cert syllabuses). I already explained this. Are you just ignoring this because it doesn't fit your argument?
    Concider this.Despite all the efforts of people like you to promote a love of literature you promote a hatred of it and it is very elitist.What you promote is introspective rubbish which is only targeted towards other introspective people who like that sort of thing.

What do you mean by ''people like you''? I find it extremely insulting that you are lumping Donegalfella (and probably me too) into the narrow group of ''introspective elitists''. You're just spewing out riduculous generalsations now because you can't support your point.

Fine if you think literature is introspective rubbish. That doesn't mean it's only targeted at ''introspective people who like that sort of thing."

If you hate literature it's not the fault of those trying to promote it- it's just your own personal taste.

I am just saying that to get into literature you have to like the books. I have read Joyce and agree its virtually unreadable-even when you decypher it you wonder why you bothered.

The point of Joyce being virtually un-readable is because, as a Modernist writer, he was trying to push the boundaries of language and narrative.

But I suppose this doesn't matter to you as it's all just head-wrecking rubbish, I suppose.

Cecilia Aherne is more of a role model then the Brontes who all died young and only one married or had a relationship.Emo is as emo does. As a period book Wuthering Heights has its place but as english literature to influence young impressionable minds it should be consigned to the recycling bin with Peig.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief right now.

What does it matter if Cecelia Aherne is more of a role model than the Brontes? Not that it actually matters, but I think the Brontes are rather good models- for one thing, they were determined to write and publish their work, even though they had to write under male names. But maybe they should have focused more on getting a husband since that seems to be the most important thing.

How is it relevant that they died young ( it's not like they could avoid that! :mad:) or only one married? How does that mean their writing is in any worse than Aherne's?

''Young impressionable minds'' ? What a load of rubbish. So are students only meant to read happy-ever-after fairy tales? Y'know what, I read ''Wuthering Heights'' and I havn't wanted to hang a dog or open up coffins and lie down with the corpses inside them!

By the way, aren't you a Alice Cooper fan? I believe worried parents were saying he was bad for ''young impressionable minds'' back in the day too.

So let's see your case against the Brontes, thus far-

1. Their writing isn't based on real life (I refuted this but you've haven't responded- how surprising.)

2. They are bad 'role models'. :rolleyes:

3. The stories are 'head-wrecking mush'.

Well, so far I remain un-convinced that they should be 'thrown in the bin'.

Like it or not - you teach students not to understand literature for its merit only because its on the syllabus and the exam. Enough to get by. Yes I agree that literature has its place and the expression of higher thought is useful-but where is the fun?

We've discussed this ad nausem but your argument always comes back to either ''where is the fun?'' and the old ''elitist snobs'' chestnut. It's wearing a bit thin, frankly.
    I also love how you keep stating your opinion as though it were an un-disputed fact - ''like it or not''....:rolleyes:

I do like literature and art and am quite well read. The thing is I dont really get off on the use of language or technique.

Hold on, I thought you want more emphasis to be put on language rather than literaure in schools? Or is that only when it suits your argument?

What society considers as good changes not unlike fashion. Hence, literary styles change. There are many genres as well. As such, I think that discussion on what constitutes literature and what does not is an elitist argument.

How is it elitist? You're not necessarily saying one book is 'better' than the other. Just putting it into a different category. The likes of Aherne's books have their merits, just because I wouldn't class them in the same league as 'Ulysses' it doesn't mean it's not good in its own way- it's just different.
    At the end of the day, what matters more is what you enjoy reading.

Enjoyment of reading is important- however, school should be about expanding and progressing in knowledge, not just sticking with what you already know or are good at doing, just because you enjoy it more.
    Pride and Prejudice and its ilk remain popular not because it's good by any literary definition of the word good - if it was, you'd be bunching it in with Ulysses which in my experience is borderline unreadable - but because people still enjoy reading it. You could, if you were a fan of Emily Bronte, claim the same for Wuthering Heights. I thought it was tripe.

What is a literary defintion of 'good'? Does it have to mean 'unreadable'?

I don't agree with people being 'castigated' for reading Cecelia Aherne. I do however find it amusing that anybody who likes Joyce, Yeats or the Bronte's is a literary snob and are castigated for that.

At the end of the day, yes, we all have a different tastes. There is nothing wrong with students reading whatever they want at home. The problem here though is assuming that no students whatsoever enjoy 'literature' so we might as well take it off the course for something more 'accessible'.

But the reality is you are not teaching higher thought to these kids as they are not mature enough for it. If you were you would teach that Yeats was horny for Maud Gonne and got blown out. Really -the stuff taught in schools is far too heavy.Its "emo" as in emotional shoegazing stuff - a teenager might describe Keats as an "emo" poet.

How do you know that teenagers aren't mature enough for it? That is possibly the worst reason for taking literature off the course- based purely on the assumption that kids can't handle the themes in it. Don't underestimate teenagers. I feel you are grasping at straws here , really.

I was told that Yeats ''was horny for Maud Gonne'' in class- it influenced many of his poems. What is your point?

Your point about Keats is rubbish frankly- so what if he could be described as 'emo'? So what? Can poems only be about shiny-happy-people?

The Sun story is a very good example - it is very concise and each sentence works - the most important at the start and bangs out key points in descending order of importance.Importantly it conveys a story of an individual loosing his temper and acting inappropriately.

I already explained this. Students do study newspaper writing- both tabloid and broadsheet. Particularly with 'The Sun' and its ilk, attention is drawn to the exaggeration and sensationalism of the writing.

'King Lear' also deals with an individual losing his temper and acting inappropriately.

But I thought students would be too emotionally immature for this kind of stuff? ;)

Apologies for the triple post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

How is it elitist? You're not necessarily saying one book is 'better' than the other. Just putting it into a different category. The likes of Aherne's books have their merits, just because I wouldn't class them in the same league as 'Ulysses' it doesn't mean it's not good in its own way- it's just different.

Reading through this thread is a jumble of accusations that Cecilia Aherne's output is of no literary merit. This was not brought up by people who read her work but by people who disparage it for its lack of literary merit. If it was just being put into a different category, we would not be having this discussion.
    Enjoyment of reading is important- however, school should be about expanding and progressing in knowledge, not just sticking with what you already know or are good at doing, just because you enjoy it more.

Sorry. I thought school was supposed to encourage you to explore things further for yourself. The current English literature curriculum is about as successful in causing young people to do this as Peig was when I was studying Irish literature as a teenager. In other words, if school is about expanding and progressing in knowledge, in the field of English literature it appears to be more counterproductive than anything. Otherwise, we would not be having this discussion - again.
    What is a literary defintion of 'good'? Does it have to mean 'unreadable'?

I do not believe it should, no. But if something is unreadable - and it is fair to say that much of James Joyce's output is for the overwhelming majority of people such - I'd question the literary merit of an unreadable work. However, I am well aware that this is a heretical comment in the field of literary criticism.
    I don't agree with people being 'castigated' for reading Cecelia Aherne. I do however find it amusing that anybody who likes Joyce, Yeats or the Bronte's is a literary snob and are castigated for that.

Readers of Joyce, Yeates and the Brontes are not being castigated for being literary snobs in truth, they are being castigated for castigating popular literature. That is the overwhelming impression I have from this thread - that a number of people are negative about Aherne's output because it is nowhere near good enough for them. If they/you want to read Joyce or Yeats or the Brontes, that's fine.
    At the end of the day, yes, we all have a different tastes. There is nothing wrong with students reading whatever they want at home. The problem here though is assuming that no students whatsoever enjoy 'literature' so we might as well take it off the course for something more 'accessible'.

No, I think you are misinterpreting the problem here. I don't believe in taking literature off the course for something more accessible. I do, however, believe that the selection of literature leaves a lot to be desired. If you have a literature course that leaves a significant proportion of its students disillusioned and bored with reading, then clearly the course is not working. This doesn't mean replacing Silas Marner with the Da Vinci Code but it could imply replacing it with something like the Call of the Wild, for example. Or The Princess Bride. The question that arises is where does your literature course lead you?

If the answer is "nowhere" then something, somewhere is wrong with it.

I came away from school with a deep love of the work of Patrick Kavanagh and Robert Frost. I also came away from school with zero regard for WB Yeats. But fine, at this stage, you're dealing with a question of taste and not literary merit.

Advertisement