Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books that you have read which did live up to the hype

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

marienbad wrote: »
    American Pastoral by Philip Roth . Quite simply stunning. Will live long with me.

Roth is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I thought animal farm was a master class, short, simple and very enjoyable.

A clash of kings is also one of the most exciting books I've ever read. By no means a classical writing style but the story and characters are so compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Thirded! :) Fantastic book.

I don't think having to study it will take that much of a shine off it. I had to study Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm for school, and if anything, I enjoyed them more for it, especially LotF. It was nice having the added depth teased out for us, probably would've missed a lot of it if I was left to my own devices.

When I read this I was googling a book called 'thirded'

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

A Conspiracy Of Dunces. It was forced on me by a friend, and I laughed my way through it - loved it, and not just for the humour. I, in turn, foisted it on a couple of other friends. They pronounced it to be utter crap. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

marienbad wrote: »
    American Pastoral by Philip Roth . Quite simply stunning. Will live long with me.

I read this work around the year 2000, and I still think about it regularly. A brilliant piece of writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Animal Farm
    Dracula
    The Lord Of The Rings
    Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Suas11 wrote: »
    Animal Farm

Dracula
    The Lord Of The Rings
    Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

Orwell had great ideas but he was a very poor writer. 1984 bored me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Dracula actually surpassed my expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

I thought "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

To Kill A Mockingbird and Dracula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

SarahBM wrote: »
    Dracula actually surpassed my expectations

Same here. It's one of the few 'classics' I've read that I loved.. And despite the whole vampire thing being done to death since, it has aged fairly well.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I thoroughly enjoyed 1984 once I finally got around to reading it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Roth is a genius.

Read 'The Plot Against America' a few years back. Most excellent I thought. Fascinating alternative history.

Cormac McCarthy's 'Blood Meridian' is sublime.

Dracula and Frankenstein both superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The kindly Ones by Jonathan Litell. Huge and tough going at times but truely a uniquely remarkable book.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kindly_Ones_%28Littell_novel%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I must second Charles Dickens, particularly Great Expectations. I loved that novel the first time I read it.

Anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez has always lived up to my expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I felt both of these were fantastic books.

The Fault in our Stars

Still to this day Adrian Mole will always be my favourite. Adrian himself is an annoying whinge-bag but the other characters are fantastic (I adore his mother)

I am about to start What Maisie Knew which I did not realise was a classic until I bought it. I loved the movie but it had been modernised for that. I will be interested to see how the story was originally written.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The Count of Monte Cristo
    The hobbit
    The lord of the rings
    Catch 22
    American Gods
    Crime and punishment

All surpassed expectations for me. There are of course others that totally disappointed me but that's for the other thread :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Montefiore

Catch 22 is the literary equivalent of The Office for me. People tell me I should love it. But it's three jokes and one profound truth spread over 400 pages.

It's not a new book, but Red Plenty by Francis Spufford was one of those weird books that require you to turn over to another page while forming opinions about the subject matter as you read. It has fiction, fact, high farce and feeling all in a really lovely set of interconnected short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Infinite Jest, even after reading the outpourings of affection from every corner of everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Wonder by RJ Palacio - recommended by a friend at work. Really is a wonderful book. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I felt both of these were fantastic books.

The Fault in our Stars

Still to this day Adrian Mole will always be my favourite. Adrian himself is an annoying whinge-bag but the other characters are fantastic (I adore his mother)

I am about to start What Maisie Knew which I did not realise was a classic until I bought it. I loved the movie but it had been modernised for that. I will be interested to see how the story was originally written.

I love the Adrian Mole books too . I also throughly enjoyed Sue Townsend 'the queen and I' and I loved 'the woman who stayed in bed for a year'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

Lisha wrote: »
    I love the Adrian Mole books too . I also throughly enjoyed Sue Townsend 'the queen and I' and I loved 'the woman who stayed in bed for a year'.

I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭sudzs

Before I Go to Sleep... mother of god! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides . Just an astonishing book

The Martin Bora novels by Ben Pastor , A German officer in WW 2 investigating murder and fighting a war . A really original series and very well written . Nothing black and white here including the main character . No easy answers 'Good German' in this one .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Has anyone read The Girl on the Train? It's a New York Times bestseller. Just curious if it lives up to the (considerable) hype.

Advertisement