Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I thought I was the only one who despised Ray&Jenny as a couple, and when the baby came along, and he never shut up about it, it wound me up. Even the others in the office (who actually like him) are really sick of all the baby talk.

As someone said Ian O'Doherty is the only good thing about Ray's show. I'm really sick of his pointless crusades, whether is VAT on condoms or ESB meter readers. And Ray picks his playlists, and as I've ranted on here before, he plays the same crap every day. Whats his obsession with indie cover versions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 timisaprick

well he is still better then Ruth Scott talking about Jigs n' reels in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've been thinking about this for a while (20 seconds or so) cos i'm listening to d'arcy now... I've decided that the 100% worst thing about the Ray D'Arcy show is the people who text in and ring in, esp. after some new cover song has been recorded, they're nearly fighting each other to give the best review ("That was brill", "best ever", "pure class" are regulars)... I presume that its more that whoever picks which texts to read out only picks out these types as opposed to negative ones but there should def. be some diversity in the opinions from the listeners that are aired... As far as i can see, the vast majority of texts read out go along the same lines as D'Arcy thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Agree with the Ray D'arcy sentiments, sounds like a nice enough bloke but he's become unbearable since hes developed his Tommy Tiernan infatuation(circa 2003).

But to the people who think Tom Dunne is "ridiculously" good last week Pighead would strongly disagree. The lad is just too nice, just once i'd love to hear him say "For fcuk sake Will would you ever should up you stupid cnut" or "Well that song was a ball of ****e".

Being the presenter of the countrys most listened to Alternative station you'd think he's have an edge but no he's just Mr Nicey Wicey. No offence Tom, you're a lovely fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Haven't had the patience to listen to D'arcy for 12 months or more. He irritates the hell out of me. Come to think of it, Martin King and Tim Kelly wreck my head on Today FM as well. I would sooner listen to re-runs of the Angelus than try and bear any of those 3!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

i have two words for all the presenters on the below list- brains and wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

I can't stand Jenny Kelly with her fake D4 bullsh*t accent. She's the reason the show has gone to sh1te, sleeping her way to the top.

His popularity is decreasing fast - I wonder how he'll take it when the next poll shows his ratings drop. I suspect it will affect him a lot cos he's into his 'man of the people' crap.

The lowest point was his 'inteview' with Gerry Adams when he told him vat on condoms was 21%...what the fook was that about

Moncrieff is great and I preferred Tom Dunne too.

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead would strongly disagree

I know you think it's really cool referring to yourself in the third person, but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I wonder did anybody see the full result of the Meteor awards best dj, it was a text poll, D'arcy won it but I dont know how he finished ahead of Tom Dunne who I think is streets ahead of him. D'arcy is becomming too much like that ass Ryan on 2fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

sleeping her way to the top.

Yep, the only reason that Jenny Kelly slept with Ray Darcy is to get to "the top" - nothing to do with her own merits as a producer/on-air contributor. Also nothing to do with the fact that she and Ray actually want to be together. God forbid a woman would succeed without using her sexuality. :rolleyes:

Also, Pighead is a regular contributor to Boards and it's clear that he's comfortable enough with himself not to feel the need to do stuff that makes him feel "cool".

Now if Pighead regularly trolled - like you do - then he'd deserve to come in for criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Let's keep it on topic and civil folks. Thank you.

EDIT: Hint! Hint! For those of you who don't get it (Not looking at a post directly after mine) this is a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I know you think it's really cool referring to yourself in the third person, but it's not.

Actually, it is ... Pighead is one the more entertaining characters on boards!
    Diceicle wrote:
    Its still a million times better than Fenton (how the hell is he still on air? He's from the smashy and nicey school of Djing!)

PMSL. One of the best quotes on boards in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I hate that lad , hes a right little mickey man . I have to turn over when that super valu advert with him in it comes on. EEJIT:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I hate that lad , hes a right little mickey man . I have to turn over when that super valu advert with him in it comes on. EEJIT:mad:
    Total agreement there mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

Ray has gone downhill to much, however is better than most muppets on at the same time as him ( except maybe Noel Shannon on kfm!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

I worked in a shop where we listened to Today FM all day until the last word came on....then the manager would switch over to 2FM until 6.

I no longer work there....

BTW That Ray Foley show is easily the most annoying show ever.

The roll-call at the start makes my skin crawl...who are the idiots that text in crap like "sorry i cant make it today,im driving a digger from Lixnaw to Tralee"

As for D'Arcy....rubbish but his competion is Gerry Ryan.That makes him bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

gerocks wrote:

BTW That Ray Foley show is easily the most annoying show ever.

exactly he's so ****e

As for D'Arcy....rubbish but his competion is Gerry Ryan.That makes him bearable.

true .. gerry thinks hes a know it all god

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Thankfully I have the godlike position of radio channel selection at work. Ray D'Arcy is..... "off the air".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I used to really like Mr D'arcy but since he's become a daddy he's just got so boring. The other day he was on about how he couldn't get parsnips on Sunday and had to change his whole menu because of it...who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

magnumlady wrote:
    The other day he was on about how he couldn't get parsnips on Sunday and had to change his whole menu because of it...who cares?

Seriously?! Jaysus...... That's about as interesting as, well .... talking about not being able to get parsnips 'of a sunday' .....

He's on here in work, but to be honest I don't listen to what he is rambling on about. But enjoy most of the music he plays.
    I can't stand Jenny Kelly with her fake D4 bullsh*t accent. She's the reason the show has gone to sh1te, sleeping her way to the top.

I think you'll find she has a lot of valuable experience. That might explain why she is in that position now ....

Jenny Kelly Bio - TodayFM ---- >> http://www.todayfm.com/goout.asp?u=http://itof.fimc.net/showdj.asp?djid=19661

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Ray Darcy is no Gay Byrne nor will he ever be lol

So said Gareth "love the show" O'Callaghan recently in the paper! :)

Dudess wrote:
    Yep, the only reason that Jenny Kelly slept with Ray Darcy is to get to "the top" - nothing to do with her own merits as a producer/on-air contributor.

AH HA HA HA HAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAA

'merits as a producer'

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

Ah jaysus that's a good one

The fecking Emperor's new clothes!!!!!!!!

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

That's the best I've heard in a long time

Jenny Kelly Biography
    Jenny was raised in South county Dublin. She attended St Joseph of Cluny at Primary level and Newtown School in Waterford at Secondary level. After leaving school, Jenny went on to study Theatre studies in Trinity College Dublin. Although she did not catch the acting bug, it wasn’t long before the call of radio was heard and she volunteered her services to Dublin South Community Radio and ended up presenting a weekly half hour arts programme. It was this experience that led her to a job in RTE in 1994 – working in 2FM – eventually she was given the opportunity for her first National broadcast - From the world's biggest, fastest roller coaster! In 1997 she joined East Coast Radio co presenting The Breakfast show and producing their mid morning show. At the beginning of 2000, She moved to Today FM working in music programming with Phil Cawley and Tim Kelly. That all changed in September 2000 when Ray D’Arcy joined the station and The Ray D’Arcy Show began… 5 years later Jenny remains working as show Producer along with been Co-Presenter on Fix it Friday.

Height
    5’5” (same height as Ray!)

Eye Colour
    Green

Hair Colour
    Currently blonde(ish)

Born – when/where
    May 1972, Dublin

Star Sign
    Taurus

Trivia
    Her face is modelled on John Merrick's aborted brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The fecking Emperor's new clothes!!!!!!!!

Hardly the case here considering the following information, which you posted. There's years of experience there and nothing to indicate she might have shagged her way to the top.
    Jenny Kelly Biography
    Jenny was raised in South county Dublin. She attended St Joseph of Cluny at Primary level and Newtown School in Waterford at Secondary level. After leaving school, Jenny went on to study Theatre studies in Trinity College Dublin. Although she did not catch the acting bug, it wasn’t long before the call of radio was heard and she volunteered her services to Dublin South Community Radio and ended up presenting a weekly half hour arts programme. It was this experience that led her to a job in RTE in 1994 – working in 2FM – eventually she was given the opportunity for her first National broadcast - From the world's biggest, fastest roller coaster! In 1997 she joined East Coast Radio co presenting The Breakfast show and producing their mid morning show. At the beginning of 2000, She moved to Today FM working in music programming with Phil Cawley and Tim Kelly. That all changed in September 2000 when Ray D’Arcy joined the station and The Ray D’Arcy Show began… 5 years later Jenny remains working as show Producer along with been Co-Presenter on Fix it Friday.
    Trivia
    Her face is modelled on John Merrick's aborted brother

Nice - she's no Kate Moss, therefore she's a monster. And if she is that hideous, it's surprising that she's managed to get all those shags to get to the top, as you've said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I switched off from him a while back. Anytime I turn him on now he's talking about his daughter.

Tom Dunne should take over his show permanently, he was brilliant when he filled in for Ray recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Is it just me or is Ray Darcy becoming the new Joe Duffy. Always banging on about how everything is wrong and if they did it my way blah blah blah... holier than thou etc. He has become a boring parody of every self important radio jock ever to have lived. I suppose if people tell you, you are great all the time (which he was) it changes you and you start to believe your own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Have to agree,
    I was a big fan of the show , have been listening since the first day but lately
    the show is gone terrible.
    I don't know if its to do with the fact that the team has been broken up but
    its not the same.
    He does seem to go on a bit about society and whats wrong and how to fix it etc...
    I listen on Fridays for fix it Friday but even that has run its course I think.
    Thank god for Phantom.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Have to say i'm beginning to tire of the pontificating that he goes on with; i think to be honest the 'sad single bloke with no girlfriend' was a lot funnier than the 'happily settled down with a child' bloke...

Obv I can't stand GRyan on the other channel so it looks like i'm gonna have to countenance listening to Radio 1...

oh jesus...is this what is has come to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Have to say i'm beginning to tire of the pontificating that he goes on with; i think to be honest the 'sad single bloke with no girlfriend' was a lot funnier than the 'happily settled down with a child' bloke...

Obv I can't stand GRyan on the other channel so it looks like i'm gonna have to countenance listening to Radio 1...

oh jesus...is this what is has come to...

Totally agree, he's so smug now that he's a dad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I'm so glad I found this thread :D

I frickin despise the Ray D'Arcy show and all its 'Smugness'

Unfortunatly most of my work mates have Today FM on all the time and its usually what I get stuck listening to.

That whole crew are the Smugest people in the country.

On a journey from Dublin to Limerick a while back the radio in the car was stuck on Today FM. Had to listen to them drone on about some competion they were dreaming up about the sexiest Male builder in Ireland. It was the highest level of airwave pollution I've come across...then I had to listen to Ray Foley....seriously people I've read funnier suicide notes :(

It also breaks my heart when D'Arcy plays a really good song as he trys then to own the song with his smugness.

When I can I tune straight to NewsTalk thank God for that station.

I'm so happy I'm not alone in my aboration of the 2 Rays. I was beginning to think people were being brainwashed.

I'd give my left nut to be a radio DJ...I'd show the feckers how play some decent tunes and to axe the traffic and news.

Traffic reports should be kept to a minimum (e.g Traffic is sh1te. stay in bed) and News bulletins should only be every 3 hours.

i'm glad I got that off my chest :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement