Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Typically Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Straight brown hair, back in a pony tail at the nape of their neck, with two shorter bits that curl around their ears and point at their chin. And f*cking terrible clothes.

That's the girls.

Do you know me??????? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

And me???

well we went out with the french one nyt, they were drinknin faster than us (well i dont drink that much) they were on their whiskey and coke, or bacardi and lemonade (??) showin us how its done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

funny this thread came up cos i just nearly lost the ****on rag with yanks claiming to be irish because they have red hair/green eyes and freckles.

wrong! they look like yanks with red hair/green eyes and freckles. tools.

dont most yanks claim to have irish blood in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Binomate wrote:
    Red hair,red beard,3ft tall, dressed fully in green with little cobbler shoes a hat and a pipe.

he said typical, not stereotypical;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

Aren't Irish people also very hospitable and welcoming??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

he said typical, not stereotypical;)

That is typical.There a big gang of all thoose little lads around me.Wait:eek: you can see them cant you?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Shure when Oirish eyes are a smilin'
    And the world oh begorrah is bright 'n' gay
    Shure the lilt of Oirish laughter
    Wouldn't it take yer heart away a-begorrah an' a-tooraloo

Hmm... most of this thread is as waffley as a waffle supremo... MAJD's description is scarily accurate of a significant proportion of Irish girls, though. What's with the ear curl? It's horrible! (Are they all trying to grow out their fringes eternally or what)?

we cant help it, its part of our heritage!!!

we cant help it, its part of our heritage!!!

lollers!

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    lollers!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Does anyone else think that the Irish are naturally attractive but this whole blonde highlights, foundation plastered all over the face thing ruins it.

And I think that counts for a majority of Irish women. The ones who dont go for all of that are absolutely beautiful, especially the hippy type girls.

Im glad our hippies have a sense of hygiene :)

simu wrote:
    MAJD's description is scarily accurate of a significant proportion of Irish girls, though. What's with the ear curl? It's horrible! (Are they all trying to grow out their fringes eternally or what)?

This is my excuse:
    I have shoulder length hair, I'm a systems Admin so during the day I could be doing absolutely anything (all you dirty minded people:- not a word!!!), so I can't stand my hair hanging around my face as it just gets in the way.
    Same as when I'm out & about, it blows around in the wind etc, & drives me mad.
    However, when I'm out, I love to wear it down, & if it was all the 1 length it'd be V boring & dull, so my hair is layered into my face to give it a nice shape (& it actually does look lovely when it's down)

Thus when tied up:- you get the ear curl effect!!!!

grasshopa wrote:
    Does anyone else think that the Irish are naturally attractive but this whole blonde highlights, foundation plastered all over the face thing ruins it.

Wowaweeawooaaa! A guy who doesn't like foundation??!? Eureka!!!
    I don't use foundation. It's actually bad for the skin in that it will cause you to have more spots - and you think you look like a dead hag without it which is so untrue!!!

*shakes grasshopa's hand in gratitude*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Vangelis wrote:
    Aren't Irish people also very hospitable and welcoming??
    Only to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Vangelis wrote:
    Wowaweeawooaaa! A guy who doesn't like foundation??!? Eureka!!!
    All guys hate foundation on a woman, unless there's some serious skin disease going on!

We're luke-warm about lippy.

But we consider mascara is a must.

We will look at your hair before your bust (proven physcological fact). Hair is the first thing a guy notices in a woman.

We will also check out your nails, but not before checking out your bust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mr.sparkle

Depends what part of ireland u got to. Different areas tend to look different. Depends on history of town etc. Norman towns tend to have more darker complections in my opinion.

All guys hate foundation on a woman

Not true!
    I think EVERYONE hates foundation when it's obvious as it's caked all over your face.
    I never wear foundation except if I'm going out on a Sat night & it's amazing the difference it makes. I don't wear it heavy, or I don't look like an oompa loompa but it hides flaws.
    I'm a V average ordinary looking girl by day, nothing remarkable at all. Even at night I wouldn't say I'm anything special to look at but I do look like a completely different person, thanks to foundation.

It's only hideous if you don't know how to wear it.

BTW, these posts are getting way off topic, mine included!!
    I think lots of people have hit the nail on the head when they've said what being typically Irish is, I don't know where's left for this thread to go!!!??????

BoozyBabe wrote:
    This is my excuse:
    I have shoulder length hair, I'm a systems Admin so during the day I could be doing absolutely anything (all you dirty minded people:- not a word!!!), so I can't stand my hair hanging around my face as it just gets in the way.
    Same as when I'm out & about, it blows around in the wind etc, & drives me mad.
    However, when I'm out, I love to wear it down, & if it was all the 1 length it'd be V boring & dull, so my hair is layered into my face to give it a nice shape (& it actually does look lovely when it's down)

Thus when tied up:- you get the ear curl effect!!!!

Oh, I wear ponytails most days too because of how windy Galway is but I don't get the ear curl. I also put them at different heights for variation!

@Dublin Writer: mascara a must? That surprises me tbh. Of course, maybe it is for the many Irish women who have fair eye lashes but I find it ends up blurring all aroud my eyes after a few hours - not nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

Gingerness :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

I think we look the exact same as the Brits. In Britain the upper classes tend to be better looking (bar Charles and Camilla). This is from experience of living over there, the toff birds are really hot, due to their fathers being loaded and marrying the best looking women, and producing good looking children.
    Over here it also seems like the more money you have the better looking you are (with some exceptions). It's a result of good breeding. The lower classes nowadays in Ireland (Dublin anyway), especially women, seem to be all seriously overweight, probably due to ignorance towards diet and exercise. Whereas moneyed folk seem to take care of themselves better thus looking better. So we of the British Isles all look alike really, our skin seems to be the pastiest and most blotched in Europe. Scandinavians, Germans etc. seem to have more sallow skin on a whole. In general I'd say we're a good looking race, if we had the diet and lifestyle of healthier nations (e.g. the mediterranean nations), there'd be a lot more pretty people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think we look the exact same as the Brits. In Britain the upper classes tend to be better looking (bar Charles and Camilla). This is from experience of living over there, the toff birds are really hot, due to their fathers being loaded and marrying the best looking women, and producing good looking children.
    Over here it also seems like the more money you have the better looking you are (with some exceptions). It's a result of good breeding. The lower classes nowadays in Ireland (Dublin anyway), especially women, seem to be all seriously overweight, probably due to ignorance towards diet and exercise. Whereas moneyed folk seem to take care of themselves better thus looking better. So we of the British Isles all look alike really, our skin seems to be the pastiest and most blotched in Europe. Scandinavians, Germans etc. seem to have more sallow skin on a whole. In general I'd say we're a good looking race, if we had the diet and lifestyle of healthier nations (e.g. the mediterranean nations), there'd be a lot more pretty people here.

You are implying that poor people are ugly? Or you confuse the ability to afford loads of make-up, nice clothes and regular trips to the hair stylist/manicurist/make-up artist with a person being good looking?

From my experience, a person's looks is not indicitive of their financial status and vice versa. Sure a richer person might have the money to dress better, but on a purely physical appearance level I don't think it follows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

I'm implying that poor people in Dublin look really unattractive nowadays because of their diet and the clothes they wear.

All guys hate foundation on a woman, unless there's some serious skin disease going on!

We're luke-warm about lippy.

But we consider mascara is a must.

We will look at your hair before your bust (proven physcological fact). Hair is the first thing a guy notices in a woman.

We will also check out your nails, but not before checking out your bust!

What if our civilisation collapsed and we lost our knowledge for how to make mascara, would you think all women would suddenly become ugly??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticwarriorjb

I think we look the exact same as the Brits.

NO WAY! Can't believe you honestly thisnk that. Couldent agree any less with this. It's blatenly easy to tell an English person from an Irish person. I just can't put my finger on what it is, but it's so easy. I used to live in London, and I remeber my first day in school in my new class, and without even hearing one of the kids voices I went up to him and asked are you Irish? He was like yeh what part are you from! and we became good friends. Only identifying that we were both Irish by the way we looked.

Also my mates from London who come over are always saying that it's blatenly easy to spot whos Irish and whos a tourist. Maybe It's because I appreciate Irish women more because I've lived in London most of my life. But Jesus the girls here are genereally very good looking! And It's funny that most of the men who complain about the way they look or act ussualy have Irish girlfriends themselves.:D

Nah, even poor English people look different to Irish ones - you'd see faces in England you'd never find here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

the track suit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Freckles.

Don't forget that in past times we controlled Scotland and they came over later to norn iron. So it's harder to separate us from the Scots, and the Atleantan theory / trading with spain would account for darker complexions on the west coast. But I suppose you could tell by the way we walk too - look at us at a foreign tourist trap - we stand out and not just because we have lobster red skin - the brits do that , but they dress more in shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Lisa burke from syynews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

On the whole, I'd say that the English and Welsh are better breeding stock than the Irish. They're not neccesarily better looking, they just have better skin and hair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement