Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tragic yet worrying scenes in waterford last night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

LorMal wrote: »
    Yes, numerically 18 is viewed as an adult. Were you a fully mature and totally responsible adult at 18?

No I believe I would not have been. I also believe I would not have been throwing bottles at guards houses in the early hours in the morning either whether I was 8, 18 or 88.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Yes, numerically 18 is viewed as an adult. Were you a fully mature and totally responsible adult at 18?

I am not condoning his behavior but:
    1. He has died in a tragic accident
    2. He was very young
    3. His family must be devastated

You should not judge. You don't have the full facts. His actions do not warrant his death. You should certainly not call him 'a scumbag'.

Ok this is probably 50% correct.

Because in the same way you should not label somebody alive a scumbag you shouldn't label somebody dead a scumbag when you don't know the circumstances of the events.

The fact that the person in question is dead is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I am not condoning his behavior but:
    1. He has died in a tragic accident
    2. He was very young
    3. His family must be devastated

You should not judge. You don't have the full facts. His actions do not warrant his death. You should certainly not call him 'a scumbag'.

I knew right from wrong when I was 4, never mind 18

1. No tragic would be if the man they bottled died, killing yourself while escaping from a crime is darwinism.
    2. I'll give you that, he was, well done
    3. Also true, but society as a whole are better off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Arra jaysus a "Man-hunt?!?" The young lad didn't murder anyone. Lock him up alright for a few years fine, but he didn't kill anyone. Too late now anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Zulu wrote: »
    Sigh. This young man, went with a group of other men to a familys home to terrorise them at night time. Children should be able to sleep safely in their homes.
    While I'm sure you would have the same sympathetic attitude if they came at night to your house, to your children, I certainly wouldn't.
    They, when confronted, didn't choose to run off. They threw a bottle at the fathers head. That man could be in the morgue this morning, but thankfully he isn't. These men didn't care less for his life or the life of his wife or family, and you have have the audacity to question our sympathies; to ask us to look into the mirror? Pffft. Jog on.

Quote me where it says they deliberately went to this house to terrorise anyone

• Advertisement

I hope the bus driver and all passengers were ok.
    As for the two who stole the ambulance. Hopefully the got a good battering when they crashed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Arra jaysus a "Man-hunt?!?" The young lad didn't murder anyone. Lock him up alright for a few years fine, but he didn't kill anyone. Too late now anyways.

But they had intent to do serious harm to the man.

Live by the sword, die by the sword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lighterman wrote: »

Yeah, they were probably canvassing on behalf of the "I'll fuckin' glass ya" party".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

TheDoctor wrote: »
    As for the two who stole the ambulance. Hopefully the got a good battering when they crashed

Stealing an Ambulance is well below the belt, A nasty thing to do, Isn't it ironic that they then had to helped by the same people whom they stole from..

• Advertisement

Isn't it unfortunate other ambulances were available. Imagine the irony if they'd died because they stole the only ambulance in the area.

I think we can all agreed that it is a complete and utter co incidence, that a day or two after a colleague in their gang was arrested that this group happened to, by chance I must add. To be accidentally throwing glass bottles which slipped out of their hands at of all houses that of a senior garda.

To cap off this hilarious sequence of co incidences when this senior garda appeared from this house which they had accidentally targeted. One of the gang members dropped a bottle which accidentally hit the senior garda on the head.

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah, they were probably canvassing on behalf of the "I'll fuckin' glass ya" party".

Or they could have been acting the clown outside the house and was confronted by the owner who incidentally was a guard

Or they could have been acting the clown outside the house and was confronted by the owner who incidentally was a guard

....then bottled said guard when he came out.....but boys will be boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Nino Brown wrote: »

Was there some independent witness to this or something?

Nino Brown wrote: »

That seems to be the case but who said the deceased did it. Just because he a group where 1 individual threw a bottle does not make him guilty or a scum bag and certainly does not deserve to die.

If on the other hand he did throw the bottle he deserved a severe sentence but again not death

drumswan wrote: »
    Was there some independent witness to this or something?

No but we believe the guard didn't hit himself on the back of the head with a bottle so by process of elimination we can conclude that it was the gang. Unless you want to throw out some theories as to how it happened?

That seems to be the case but who said the deceased did it. Just because he a group where 1 individual threw a bottle does not make him guilty or a scum bag and certainly does not deserve to die.

If on the other hand he did throw the bottle he deserved a severe sentence but again not death

Guilty by association. No one forced the deceased man to go to the house last night.

I think we can all agreed that it is a complete and utter co incidence, that a day or two after a colleague in their gang was arrested that this group happened to, by chance I must add. To be accidentally throwing glass bottles which slipped out of their hands at of all houses that of a senior garda.

To cap off this hilarious sequence of co incidences when this senior garda appeared from this house which they had accidentally targeted. One of the gang members dropped a bottle which accidentally hit the senior garda on the head.

Jaysus imagine that.you seem to be right
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/update-senior-garda-not-deliberately-targeted-in-waterford-incident-where-young-man-died-630708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Its the usual little internet fantasy-violence circlejerk from boards' keyboard warriors, plenty of daily mail reading types on here love to revel in this stuff

Not talking about this incident specifically in the following but:

It's your attitude that has criminals getting free benefits and support even after getting convicted. It's not always someone else's fault...sometimes people are just bad people. Sure sometimes it is a poor up bringing etc. but everyone has a concious so everyone is responsible for their actions good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Zulu wrote: »
    Sigh. This young man, went with a group of other men to a familys home to terrorise them at night time. Children should be able to sleep safely in their homes.
    While I'm sure you would have the same sympathetic attitude if they came at night to your house, to your children, I certainly wouldn't.
    They, when confronted, didn't choose to run off. They threw a bottle at the fathers head. That man could be in the morgue this morning, but thankfully he isn't. These men didn't care less for his life or the life of his wife or family, and you have have the audacity to question our sympathies; to ask us to look into the mirror? Pffft. Jog on.

That's all well and good. But for everyone to be in the thread circle-jerking at the fact that this lad, who did something wrong, died after it is pathetic!

His death is not an appropriate "punishment" for what actually went on. All your hyperbole isn't going to change that!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Also like to point out I don't think anyone said "he deserved death" but some people said they have no sympathy...there's a bit of a difference.

Yes and like my comment they too are also speculating. "may not have been"

Also like to point out I don't think anyone said "he deserved death" but some people said they have no sympathy...there's a bit of a difference.

A massive difference that some simpletons have yet to grasp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Not talking about this incident specifically in the following but:

It's your attitude that has criminals getting free benefits and support even after getting convicted. It's not always someone else's fault...sometimes people are just bad people. Sure sometimes it is a poor up bringing etc. but everyone has a concious so everyone is responsible for their actions good or bad.
    Wtf are you banging on about?

Some gurrier kid was killed and all anyone seems interested is cheerleading his death on the internet. Nobody seems in the least bit interested in the circumstances around how he died.

Based on this single isolated incident probably not. But what do-gooders always seem to forget is that if this guy is associating with these thugs, and throwing bottles at a garda's house, this wasn't his first rodeo. I wouldn't be surprised if it is later revealed that he has an extensive criminal history. And I have no doubt he would have continued his life of crime, possibly resulting in death to somebody.

Would it be right for the state to execute him for these crimes, no. But If he managed to die as a result of them he won't get the slightest bit of sympathy from me. Its one less criminal for society to worry about.

Wtf are you banging on about?

Some gurrier kid was killed and all anyone seems interested is cheerleading his death on the internet. Nobody seems in the least bit interested in the circumstances around how he died.

I look forward to someone pointing out this cheerleading that is going on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

A young guy died, a life lost that could have been rewarding and productive. Haven't we all done things in our youth that could be considered anti-social?

old hippy wrote: »
    A young guy died, a life lost that could have been rewarding and productive. Haven't we all done things in our youth that could be considered anti-social?

Not assault no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That's all well and good. But for everyone to be in the thread circle-jerking at the fact that this lad, who did something wrong, died after it is pathetic!
    Whats pathetic is the posters defending this person.
    To accuse people of "circle-jerking" because they point out the bloody obvious is pathetic. (The obvious being: people aren't sad to see bad things happen bad people.)
    His death is not an appropriate "punishment" for what actually went on. All your hyperbole isn't going to change that!
    His death wasn't a punishment. He wasn't punished by anyone (other that fate). Get over yourself and get over your moral outrage. Take comfort in the fact that this person won't ever assault you, in/at - for the pedants - your own home, with your children.

Christ on a bike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement