Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google fixed their Irish Map, now showing towns at 20km scale

• 15-01-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum so Mods please feel free to move.

About 2 months ago I sent a complaint to Google maps stating that their map of Ireland was not showing major Irish towns at the 20km scale level.

About a month and a half after the complaint the error seemed to be fixed.

Yesterday I just received an email from Google:

Hi 'whatever my name is',

Thank you for reporting this problem. We've reviewed your problem and you were right! The default view in Google Maps has already been updated to reflect your suggested change, as shown below.

Google maps for Ireland is not showing major towns at the 20km scale level. It shows tiny villages instead. Example at 20km scale, where is Ballina, Wesport, Tuam, Navan, Longford, the list goes no. This is a issue for tourists trying to see a place on the map. Towns should appear first, then villages.

Just want to let people know that Google do actually act on suggestions you send in. The system works :)

I kinda chuffed at this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its still not 100% though
    theres a whole swathe of Cavan/ Leitrim/Longford still quite unreadable

i.e. Longford town is on a par importance wise with "Faranyoggon" a kilometre out the road!!

Good to see that its not just Apple who can make a balls of mapping when doing it on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

its still not 100% though
    theres a whole swathe of Cavan/ Leitrim/Longford still quite unreadable

i.e. Longford town is on a par importance wise with "Faranyoggon" a kilometre out the road!!

Good to see that its not just Apple who can make a balls of mapping when doing it on their own.

They need to do a bit of work on the 50km scale level too. Just to make them consistent. Anyone want to send in the suggestion? They might get annoyed with me complaining again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

user1842 wrote: »

Just want to let people know that Google do actually act on suggestions you send in. The system works :)

they do indeed, though it can take time. I've reported a dozen or so issues. Even better in certain countries (NZ for one) they let you physically make the changes youself and review them. So you can add and correct roads and tracks etc :)
    they don't let you do that in Ireland for some reason though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Also Shankill is the the only label in Dublin apart from Dublin at the 100km range, then disappears and is replaced by Glenageary at the 50km and then this disappears again and is replaced by Bray and Blackrock at the 20km range

Advertisement