Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to close pier A or B in T1 in its entirity for the time being. Could see problems with the tenants in the retail units though...

Actually, brain is failing me here - isn't there a prefab extension on one of the old piers?
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    That has to close when the new pier on T2 opens.

Well that was one of the conditions of the extension on planning permission.
    Which pier is it on though?

I only use the sodding airport about 20 times a year with multiple airlines out of every pier... and I can't remember the layout!
    sdonn wrote: »
    It's in between pier A+D

The prefab extension is actually at the end of what was pier D (now gates 1XX) and is used (as far as I've seen) exclusively by Ryanair.

The former piers A and B (now gates 2XX and 3XX respectively) are to be refurbished once Terminal 2 opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

KC61 wrote: »
    The prefab extension is actually at the end of what was pier D (now gates 1XX) and is used (as far as I've seen) exclusively by Ryanair.

That prefab is due to come down once T2 opens

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Got an e-mail today about the trials that I had signed up for a while back. I'm going on the last trial date which is the 18th October. There are five trial dates listed from mid-August to mid-October, building up in numbers each time. The last trial date will have a max of 1500 people involved.

Hopefully this should give them enough information to sort out any problem in their systems. I would assume that if the trials go successfully we are looking at an opening date sometime in November.

Unfortunately looking at the regulations for the other trials you are forbidden to bring cameras or take pictures with mobile phones. I'm not sure why, apart from potential security issue, but those are the rules.

Anybody else involved in one of the trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

yup the wif is going in september.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

bg07 wrote: »

Link
    As I said just a few posts above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

bg07 wrote: »

Link

I know - I was just telling MYOB where it was. It is not between what were piers A and D as someone else suggested, but rather an extension of pier D.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm taking part in the Terminal 2 trials today. We're just waiting to get brought to T2 at the moment. Will give you all an account of how it went later. :)

Well, I've just finished up the Dublin Airport T2 trials today.

We were waiting for ages in the Red long-term car park before the trials proper got started. Then we were taken to the ALSAA building where we were registered, briefed about what to expect and served tea/coffee. There were about 400 people involved in today's trial and a good cross section of people - young and older, parents with children and a couple of disabled people.

Terminal 2 is a very, very impressive building.:) When it opens later this year it will wow a lot of people used to the mish mash and mess of Terminal 1. Our trial group were requested to rehearse a departure to the boarding gate and then an arrival routine. The check in area is very easy to use and impressive, but the oversized baggage belt which I had to use (we were all given luggage to use at check in and collect in the baggage collection hall) was difficult to find and needs better signposting.

You then proceed up two flights of escalators to go straight through security and then onto the baording Pier (Pier E). We also cleared US customs and immigration as T2 will be handling all transatlantic flights when it opens.

T2 is a very "clean" building - there's little to distract you from when you check in until when to when you board your flight. True, the duty free shops and eateries are only being fitted out but my impression is that they want you to get to your gate with as little hanging around as possible on the way.

The toilets were impressive - and are well located and numerous - but the hand dryers are problematic - they're built into the wall and difficult to see. They should have used the Dyson airblade type dryers.

There was a draw for 5 iPods (which sadly I didn't win:() and a draw for €5,000 for the volunteers of all the trials. We also got a goodie bag when we finished the trial with a few bits and bobs courtesy of the DAA.

All in all, it was well worth taking part in. I feel priviliged to have used Terminal 2 before it opens.:cool:

Looking forward to my trial after reading this. Mind you with 1500 people it should be a bit more hectic.

Were you asked for feedback on your experience as opposed to just letting them see what problems they encountred?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, I've just finished up the Dublin Airport T2 trials today.

We were waiting for ages in the Red long-term car park before the trials proper got started. Then we were taken to the ALSAA building where we were registered, briefed about what to expect and served tea/coffee. There were about 400 people involved in today's trial and a good cross section of people - young and older, parents with children and a couple of disabled people.

Terminal 2 is a very, very impressive building.:) When it opens later this year it will wow a lot of people used to the mish mash and mess of Terminal 1. Our trial group were requested to rehearse a departure to the boarding gate and then an arrival routine. The check in area is very easy to use and impressive, but the oversized baggage belt which I had to use (we were all given luggage to use at check in and collect in the baggage collecion hall) was difficult to find and needs better signposting.

You then proceed up two flights of escalators to go straight through security and then onto the baiording Pier. We also cleared US customs and immigration as T2 will be handling all transatlantic flights when it opens.

T2 is a very "clean" building - there's little to distract you from when you check in to when you board your flight. True, the duty free shops and eateries are only being fitted out but my impression is that they want you to get to your gate with little hanging around on the way.

The toilets were impressive - and are well located and numerous - but the hand dryers are problematic - they're built into the wall and difficult to see. They should have used the Dyson airblade type dryers.

There was a draw for 5 iPods (which sadly I didn't win:() and a draw for €5,000 for the volunteers of all the trials. We also got a goodie bag when we finished the trial with a few bits and bobs courtesy of the DAA.

All in all, it was well worth taking part in. I feel priviliged to have used Terminal 2 before it opens.:cool:
    Are there adequate food (read:bars) near the gates, or are they all located nearer to the security screening as is the case in T1.
    There is one exception of a cool bar in T1 with a roof garden that I was in last time, but not sure exactly what pier it is in?!

• Advertisement

Jayuu wrote: »
    Looking forward to my trial after reading this. Mind you with 1500 people it should be a bit more hectic.

Were you asked for feedback on your experience as opposed to just letting them see what problems they encountred?

Yep, we were given two very short questionnaires to answer - one about departures and the other on arrivals, rating the facilities such as check in, passenger screening/security, ancillary facilities, boarding gates, baggage reclaim, etc.

We also were given imaginary passenger names for the boarding routine rehersals - I was Ralph Wall en route to Cincinatti on Delta flight 7949.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

OisinT wrote: »
    Are there adequate food (read:bars)
    Haha!
    Jayuu wrote: »
    Anybody else involved in one of the trials.
    Yep, but on September 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Any word on an opening date?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JupiterKid wrote: »

Same as Pier D, then. Useless things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Same as Pier D, then. Useless things.

to be fair, this isn't the UK or France..
    people in Ireland take any opportunity to vandalise things
    I can completely understand their logic here,
    not saying that you can't vandalise these in-built dryers, you can I'd imagine,
    but I'm sure they are more difficult to vandalise.

Its the very same reason why we can't have underground pedestrian walkways on busy road junctions, vandalism and violent attacks, there are just too much scumbags in Ireland so everything we do muct be predicated on what is the best way to get around the scumbag problem in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

to be fair, this isn't the UK or France..

This is the only line of your post that has any truth in it..The Dublin Bikes, for example, havn't even had a single one defaced!!(http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0809/1224276416971.html}

The same can't be said for their French counterparts and don't even get me started with England...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111487751

eia340600 wrote: »
    This is the only line of your post that has any truth in it..The Dublin Bikes, for example, havn't even had a single one defaced!!(http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0809/1224276416971.html}

The same can't be said for their French counterparts and don't even get me started with England...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111487751

don't come up with this - oh I'm Irish so I have to defend the indefensible to be patriotic! A 2minute google search would have contradicted your point
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/free-bikes-scheme-is-hit-by-vandals--after-just-one-day-1885887.html
    ...after just one day!!!!!!!!

I myself went to use one of those bikes outside the Custom House, and the whole gear cog thing had been vandalised on the back wheel - and thats just my experience - I'm sure many have similar experience.

oh and let me guess, there are no scumbags on the Luas red line either....:rolleyes:

FFS, we are the only country in Europe that I'm aware that have so many scumbags that we can't even have cow statues
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/8484/Antigraffiti-team-to-fight-cow.2777738.jp

Personally I've never had any problem with any of the Dublin Bikes that I've used. While obviously there is going to be a certain amount of vandalism, no matter what country one lives in, it would seem to have been nowhere near the levels that were predicted when the scheme was first introduced.

I'm not saying that we should somehow celebrate this over other places but lets not be too quick to put ourselves down either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

don't come up with this - oh I'm Irish so I have to defend the indefensible to be patriotic! A 2minute google search would have contradicted your point
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/free-bikes-scheme-is-hit-by-vandals--after-just-one-day-1885887.html

I myself went to use one of those bikes outside the Custom House, and the whole gear cog thing had been vandalised on the back wheel - and thats just my experience - I'm sure many have similar experience.

oh and let me guess, there are no scumbags on the Luas red line either....:rolleyes:

FFS, we are the only country in Europe that I'm aware that have so many scumbags that we can't even have cow statues
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/8484/Antigraffiti-team-to-fight-cow.2777738.jp

Totally agree, there is a lot of mindless vandalism that simply wouldn't happen on the same scale in London, Paris or New York.

Apologies mods
    didn't wish to bring the thread off topic,
    but I do think that we should be less critical of the facilities at Dublin airport
    given the clientéle in this country,
    and it needed to be said.

Irish people need to see the likes of Broombridge train station before they criticise the authorities of being minimalist!

The designers of Terminal 2 are being pragmatic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Don't know why my link didn't work last time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0809/1224276416971.html

Think I'll be believing the slightly more reliable printer.

It's unlikely any vandalism will hit T2.None hit T1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Apologies mods
    didn't wish to bring the thread off topic,
    but I do think that we should be less critical of the facilities at Dublin airport
    given the clientéle in this country,
    and it needed to be said.
    Get real. We're talking about an airport monitored by security and CCTV, with thousands of people passing every spot per hour, and a middle-class clientele. Not a dark deserted underpass.

There won't be any vandalism in T2 and the Dysons were probably not chosen as they are complex to install - they require a drainage pipe (I inquired in my workplace as to why we weren't using them and that is the answer I received).

Also, the Herald article (would you trust them?) about bikes getting vandalised after one day did not sound confident that it was actual vandalism and all other articles I've seen have said that there is no vandalism. NB: Much of the bike theft in Paris et al is due to a network of bike smugglers operating from Eastern Europe. The bikes end up in Russia and similar places! I'm not making this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

D`Peoples Voice said......
    Its the very same reason why we can't have underground pedestrian walkways on busy road junctions, vandalism and violent attacks, there are just too much scumbags in Ireland so everything we do muct be predicated on what is the best way to get around the scumbag problem in this country.

Nowwhere is this more directly proven that in leafy Blackrock Co. Dublin,where we have just spent a small fortune on junction "Improvements" which included removing the highly sensible and well used "freeflow" left turn slip from Merrion Avenue onto Rock Road (Citybound)

In it`s place we have the (now obligatory) constant phase pedestrian lights and a heap of terracotta paving just awaiting the weedgrowth.

In the haste to construct this public open space,we had to surrender the underpass which allowed persons to cross from Blackrock Park to Merrion Avenue and vice versa.

Yes indeed the old underpass is now history,airbrushed from the reality of Dublins infrastructure because it could be described as unpopular as pedestrians preferred to take their chances above ground....assisted by the refulas of the Local Authorities to make such death defying activity impossible by erecting a few metre`s of barrier....Thats planning for ye !!!

Spaceweek posted :-
    Much of the bike theft in Paris et al is due to a network of bike smugglers operating from Eastern Europe. The bikes end up in Russia and similar places! I'm not making this up!

Indeed you`re not Spaceweek as recently we discovered that Fingal Co Co discovered that it`s wheelie bin`s were seeing active service in the former Eastern Bloc countries also......I wonder how much Ryanair would charge for a Wheeliebin ??

http://www.dublinpeople.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=1122&Itemid=49

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

spacetweek wrote: »
    There won't be any vandalism in T2 and the Dysons were probably not chosen as they are complex to install - they require a drainage pipe (I inquired in my workplace as to why we weren't using them and that is the answer I received).

The in-wall units the DAA are using in Pier D are drained also, the description makes the T2 ones sound the same.

I'm off to the US on Tuesday - too bad it isn't open yet :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm going Friday week, wonder would it be open by then!?

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I'm going Friday week, wonder would it be open by then!?
    No, IIRC November is the grand opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

OisinT wrote: »
    No, IIRC November is the grand opening.

Forgive me - when in Nov is the IIRC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

doubt it will be that grand an opening in november. id expect it to be a limited opening with just a few flights operating out of there to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement