Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

All the best dude - smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Really hope you do yourself proud. This is what its all about. Will be following the splits with great interest. Can u remind me of ur pb , I think its 2:36 ?ish ? Anyhow you're commitment to training Is remarkable . Wishing you an eventless race in the best possible sense. Best of luck. Looking forward to race report but you can have a few pints first! Goodman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Brilliant time KU 2 33 07! Very consistent splits. Well done on the pb

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

Brilliant run Gary. A two min PB at that level must go down as one of your finest achievements. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Excellent running today KC. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

smmoore79 wrote: »

Thanks Stevo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Fantastic performance. 2 minutes is fairly massive. When was the last time you didn't PB in a marathon out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Well done krusty! Delighted for you and well deserved. Great time.
    .....you've well and truly reached base camp, and well entitled to thoughts of 'the Big one'....... Not that I would know, but to knock off a further 3 odd mins I imagine would be a mega-mega challenge but having read your training log over the years I for one think you can do it. Well done again. Take a right break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Well done Krusty. Amazing performance. It's inspiring how you continue to improve year upon year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Nice work Krusty. Really awesome time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Nice to meet you in McGrattan's yesterday, Krusty, and congrats again on your great result in Frankfurt! And for being nice enough to congratulate the rest of us slowpokes too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

We want a report, when do we want it, NOW😀😀:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Fantastic performance. 2 minutes is fairly massive. When was the last time you didn't PB in a marathon out of interest?

When he was pacing :D

Well done again KC.
    Savage stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done again KC, it was very nice to meet you yesterday. Looking forward to the race report! Good luck with the next training plan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great work Krusty.

Dare I ask, when is the epic race report expected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So where have I been for the last six days since the marathon? Well, I haven’t been drinking and gallivanting; that’s for sure (at least not since the first five days of drinking and gallivanting). I haven’t been writing this race report. I’ve been tired.. Really tired.. Work has been hectic. I’m looking around my home at all the stuff I’ve been putting on the long finger… before quickly looking away. I’ve been trying to get my head around a work trip to the US this weekend. So I haven’t been thinking about marathons or race reports. I also haven’t been running. Over the first 10 months of the year, I took just one day off running. Now I haven’t run since I crossed the finish line in the Festhalle on Sunday. That might explain why I’m so damn tired. But, I’m waiting for the hunger to come back and I won’t put on my shoes until it does. The aches and pains are largely gone. I’ve started looking forward, planning the races I’ll run next year, signing up for some, and getting in contact with race organizers for others. So perhaps it’s time to start looking backwards..

The trip to Frankfurt went very smoothly. Neil, Emer, James and I had arrived on Friday night, checked into our apartment and went for a wander to find some food. We weren’t feeling particularly adventurous given the late hour, so headed to the nearby shopping mall, and stopped at the first restaurant we came across - a Mexican fast food joint. Just as I took my foil-wrapped burrito and sneaky beer (the first in 3 weeks) over to a table, I spy someone waving in my direction - I didn’t recognize him at first given the change to his appearance, but it was none other than a clean-shaven Jebus, along with his buddy John, and partner Lorraine, also partaking of a sneaky burrito. After a quick chat, they were off and now satiated we headed home for a chilled night with a movie. Next day, we ran the pretzel run (bumping into Ger and running with him for a spell), grabbed our numbers and pacebands and headed home. A day of relaxing (probably eating a little too much pasta, Strudel, and ice-cream) and we hit the hay early.

Race morning: The morning of the race, we dropped out bottles into the ‘own nutrition’ area at the start line and headed back for some final nervous rest. Just like last year, I dropped in two 500 ml bottles (10km and 30km), with 250ml sports drink, 250ml water, and half an electrolyte tablet. We left the apartment at around 9:20am, dropped our bags off, and headed out to the start area. I was getting a little nervous at this stage, at the corrals were filling up and I didn’t want to be clambering over the fences to get into the start this year. Neil needed some form of warm-up so we jogged around the entry to the corral area, found a location for a sneaky final pee, and headed for the Asics corral. It was mobbed. We had already left it too late. We tried to pick our way through the crowds and made some progress, but it wasn’t enough. We were alarmingly far back - in line with the three hour pacers and the 3:15 pacers, and the thousands of assorted runners who didn’t give a crap where they started. We tried to squeeze our way alongside the barriers and made 10 feet, before being blocked by a wall of people. It was worrying, but there really wasn’t anything we could do at this point. It’s my only criticism of what is otherwise a very well organized event.

In terms of targets, I really didn’t have one. My goal had been to run as fast as I could, at a pace I hoped would be in the region of 5:45/mile. How long I could sustain this pace, I did not know. In some form of dippy wishful thinking, my Asics pace band read 2:29:50. I knew I couldn’t run that time, but much as you might still try to avoid walking on a crack, I harboured a secret hope that somehow, everything might just click and I might just turn out to be a way better runner than I think I am. In any case, I could track my splits by calculating the offsets from the pace-band. Neil was fully committed to a sub 2:30 and planned to run 1:15:xx for the first half, so we’d decided to run the first half together in a non-committal kind of way - both understanding that our targets and abilities are following divergent paths, but hoping to reap some mutual benefit from teamwork. That was before we lined up behind a couple of thousand other runners..

The start: “This...is...your...day…." The now-familiar refrain that marks the start of the race. It took almost 40 seconds to cross the start line and alarmingly, involved some walking. But eventually, we were through the start and...jogging… The first few miles were very frustrating, as we weaved our way in and out of the various groups, our progress often being entirely blocked and having to slow to easy jog pace. By the first km marker we were a minute down. A whole minute! That’s a minute that you just can’t recover over the course of a marathon. My watch beeped to signal the first mile, and I glanced down to see 5:56. At first I thought - ‘well, that’s not too bad’, but it just didn’t reconcile with being a minute down over the kilometer, so I knew the GPS signal was crap, as I had anticipated it would be. You know what’s not a good idea? Trying to pace yourself off a dodgy GPS signal, and a pace-band for a time that you can’t achieve. Well, I’d just have to do it old-school. For the time being at least, I had bigger concerns - getting through these crowds. Mile by mile the crowds thinned and gradually the pace picked up. Met a few familiar faces along the way (like Asimonov), and greeted a few runners in familiar or tri-colour singlets. By the first 5km mark, we were more than a minute off of pace.

The next few miles followed the same pattern, with both myself and Neil weaving through the crowds, but gradually, we were finding longer straighter patches to pick up the pace. We were still passing runners by the dozen, but at least it was easier to pass. Occasionally we’d exchange a few words, but largely we were just conserving energy while trying to pick up the pace to make up for lost time. By the 10km mark, though the split was faster, we were still more than a minute down on plan. I felt very comfortable, but we were now running faster than my planned marathon pace, and I feared that over the course of the race, this might be detrimental. At the 15 km mark, I slowed and then stopped, while trying to locate my drink (clearly there were many more runners taking advantage of the facility this year), but soon got back up to speed. We were still passing runners in their droves. Gradually, Neil started to open a gap on me, and the pace felt like it was in the 5:20s, so I wasn’t eager to chase him down. By the 20km mark, he was about 100m ahead. I silently wished him well, and hoped he managed to get the time he deserved for his training investment.

Half-way: I was very much on my own at this point. I was headed for the half-way point, Neil had disappeared into the distance, and I came across groups of other runners pretty sporadically. I had stopped looking at the rather useless paceband and the even less useful GPS watch, but did take the time to register my half way split, of 76:26, which was probably around 30 seconds slower than I’d ideally like to have been at the mid-point. From this point onwards, it was pretty much a case of putting the head down and getting the work done. I didn’t have that same sense of control that I’d had in the same race last year, but rather, was free-wheeling, feeling relatively comfortable, and hoping that I wouldn’t hit a gravel patch… Soon afterwards, I saw a runner pull up on the right, and spied a blond ponytail disappearing off the course to my left, and was saddened to realize that it must have been Maria Mac. I had expected to bump into her at some point during the race, as she has a tendency to go out hard and fade, but her move off the course suggested something pretty drastic. I hoped to see her again, but suspected that I wouldn’t. Over the next few kilometers, things got weird. There was nobody in front of me, and there was nobody behind me. I was in a big-city marathon, but I might as well have been running in the quiet surroundings of Moate Park in Roscommon, for all of the other people I could see. But for the occasional high vis jacket, I was on my own.

The 30km mark felt like it was a long time coming. It was quite a different experience to last year. There were no like-minded individuals to share the hard stretches. Occasionally, I’d catch a small group or a single runner, but there was no interaction - just a momentary acknowledgement as we passed, running at different paces. I was now gradually making my way through the field of female elite runners, and the occasional Kenyan pacer, jogging their way back to the finish line. I passed ‘Mona’ and her harem of male companions, Mona had won the national championships title in this same race last year, and in doing so had completely ruined my finish line video. I decided there and then that I’d pull my shorts into a tight wedgie and dance back over the finish line waving my arms in triumphant joy, while others struggle to cross the finish mat. Vengeance would be mine.

Stuff gets harder: Stuff got harder. I wasn’t watching my splits, but felt like I was slowing down. I didn’t want to look at the pace-band - was afraid of what I might see. I knew Neil’s buddy was waiting at the 34km mark, and I’d given him a bottle of water/sports drink, just in case. I still had most of my existing drink left, so waved him away, but it was great to see a familiar face, particularly as the effort level was rising sharply. All too late, I realized I’d missed an opportunity to find out how Neil was getting on. Had he passed by? How many minutes was he ahead? It didn’t matter. I’d find out soon enough. I was firmly back in the city once more, winding my way around the twisty course. I’d caught a couple of runners at this stage and unlike the others, they weren’t falling off the back and I was relieved for a change, to drop in behind another runner and let them drag me along for a while. Glancing back I could see that Mona and her friends were still in hot pursuit. Up ahead, a runner I recognized from the halfway point. One of the few who hadn’t drifted backwards - and I knew he had run the race I had wanted to run - he was powering on to the finish and looked strong and in control. We ran along a stretch of road, where runners passed in the other direction, heading towards the home straight. There it was - a U-turn in the road. All I’d have to do was take a sharp right and I’d be just 800m from the finish line. The thought was troublingly tempting.

We hit the cobbled street for the second time, and like last year, it hurt - it really hurt, but we were at the 40km mark, and a quick calculation suggested another 7 minutes of suffering. It didn’t matter how much it hurt, it was easier to keep going than it was to stop. All those miles - months and months of them, were finally paying off, as despite the urge to quit, the legs just kept turning over. The will was gone, the brain had switched off, but the legs just kept turning.

The end: Once more, I was in the lead, with the blue singleted frenchmen falling off the pace and dropping in behind me. We were still picking off runners here and there, those who had pushed beyond the point of return and were now facing a hellish stumble to the finish line. We turned the corner off Mainzer Landstrasse, and there it was… The start line. But it seemed sooo far away… Much further than I remembered. This wasn’t last year’s triumphant finish, where I had picked up the pace with each passing stride, almost violently charging towards the line. Instead, I was just holding on, willing the finish line to come to me. Finally, we went under the start line and took the sharp left towards the finish line. I had absolutely no idea if I was on target for 2:32, or 2:35. I hadn’t looked at the time since the half-way mark. I felt, more than reasoned that I hadn’t run as well as I could have. I headed into the Festhalle, and without having a time-goal to charge down, I resolved to savour and enjoy the atmosphere of the finish line… and it was fabulous… Eventually, I saw the clock… 2:33:40. I smiled… I thought of my brother.. I crossed the finish line. I didn’t know how long it had taken to cross the start, so still didn’t know what I’d run, but it was a PB. I hoped it was enough to take me under 2:33, a time I’d be pretty happy with.

I spied Neil sitting against a barrier in the corner, and he confirmed a 2:30:15. I was really happy for him, but knew he’d be pissed at those 15 seconds (and who wouldn’t be, coming so close to such a land-mark time), but at the same time, a staggering feat nonetheless.

For myself? a 2:33:07, just about a two minute improvement on last year’s time. When asked about it afterwards, both in Frankfurt and in MacGrattans in Dublin, I found it hard to be really enthusiastic about it. I declared that I was 67% satisfied with the result and that’s pretty much where I stand now. I felt that I had a faster run in me than a 2:33:07, but that’s what the results will show, warts and all. We made some mistakes and started very poorly, and I have little doubt that it affected my overall performance. In the early miles I wasted too much energy making my way through the crowd, and then worked too hard to claw back some of the time we had lost, running significantly faster than marathon pace and that impacted my performance in the second half. I was effectively hanging on, instead of running the race I wanted to run - the race I had run last year. My official splits show a 15 second positive split: 1:16:26 versus 1:16:41, but the truth is quite different as I expended so much more energy and covered so much more distance in the first half of the race. I also hoped that this race would serve as a launch-platform for a pop at a sub 2:30 next year, but sadly, Sunday’s result leaves a chasm that is just too wide to bridge in one training cycle. The good news is that I feel that there are improvement to be made just by being a little smarter - and that's like getting time back for free.

The afters: Met up with Jebuz and John soon afterwards, and it was brilliant to soak up their obvious joy with their respective results. Emer ran much quicker than expected (proper sandbagging!), and as a consequence, I almost missed her trek across the finish line, but I stumbled my way over to the finishing chute (cans in hand!), to see her cross the line in 3:54. Clearly the physical demands of the day and the toxicity of the beer had taken their toll, as I struggled to hold it together, watching Emer disappear into the festhalle. Bumped into Asimonov briefly, who was just a couple of mins shy of his PB - I'll be looking over my shoulder next year. We met up with Ger later that day and made up for the marathon focussed diet, at the Zu den 12 Aposteln, which was a great way to finish off an amazing day.

I’ve done Frankfurt twice now, and hope I won’t be back next year. I’ve seen enough of the tall glass buildings, the multi-million dollar sports-cars and broken lives scattered around the train-station. I've heard the catch-phrase "This..is...your...day" one time too many. I've had my fill of Mona and Lisa (I never did ruin her finishing video, but she only managed 2nd this year). It’s definitely time for a new city. Not too far away, but earlier, and hopefully one that brings a better start. It's time for Berlin 2016.
    Summary: 26.2 miles in 2:33:07, @5:51/mile, HR=158

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

it sounds like the race was a real disappointment, both not organising the start corral well, and not having the groups of runners at your pace to work with (wasn't that an attraction for you last year?) Those are both things that are going to make the race experience much worse for you, and a bad race experience makes you feel like it was a bad performance. But as you said, there is some time to be picked up there for free. i think it's far too soon to rule out a 2.2x target in Berlin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

So it takes you 2 more training cycles to break 2.30, it's 2 more training cycles doing something you throughly enjoy and are damn good at. What's wrong with that? You don't plan on retiring soon do you? At your level a near two minute PB is huge improvement, maybe get to the start a bit earlier next time and save the energy. This is like Donald Trump advising Abe Lincoln on how to be a good president I know but just my thoughts from reading your report.

smmoore79 wrote: »
    He was with me, with every step. At one point I looked down and there was only one set of footprints. That was when he carried me. :)
    Chivito550 wrote:
    When was the last time you didn't PB in a marathon out of interest?
    Umm.. Don't think I've ever failed to PB, when I've aimed for it in a marathon. There was one race - Boston 2012? where the starting temperatures were 26'C, where I didn't run a PB, but I'd decided that I wouldn't go for it before I started, given the temperatures. I did run a rebound marathon 5 weeks later in Kildare, and took a few minutes off my PB. In fact, the annual updating of the fridge magnet has become an important ritual for me and my daughter:

FD5AEB8A35A14833BBEDD580342D171C-0000325964-0003812415-00500L-847754F309234C8D8F3617D3D790B1AD.jpg

Some training cycles have not gone as well as others, and in the past, I have celebrated a 1 second PB (Chicago 2011 - again got very warm), and I only improved by 30 seconds between London 2013 and Dublin later that year. At the time, I was pretty convinced I was nearing my maximum potential - but it just goes to show that the only ceilings are the ones we architect for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Really enjoyed that report, Krusty (I'll even forgive your for using the word "architect" as a verb). :)

Your disappointment (or is it indifference?) comes across clearly. I won't try to talk you out of it because I don't understand it. I do think if you'd gotten a better starting pen position you'd have written a different report, even if the time ended up being the same. Either way it's a terrific performance.

It's a race that's on my list as I lived in the city for a few months way back when, and I will certainly be re-reading these reports when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Great report, I don't know much about running at that level but getting into an on pace group early is probably key - and was never going to happen from the back of that coral. All the same, you continue to help the rest of us recalibrate what is possible with dedication and hard work. Enjoy the break.

RayCun wrote: »
    it sounds like the race was a real disappointment, both not organising the start corral well, and not having the groups of runners at your pace to work with (wasn't that an attraction for you last year?) Those are both things that are going to make the race experience much worse for you, and a bad race experience makes you feel like it was a bad performance. But as you said, there is some time to be picked up there for free. i think it's far too soon to rule out a 2.2x target in Berlin...
    I certainly wouldn't describe it as a disappointment. If you squint your eyes closely while watching the finish line video, you might even notice that I even managed to smile briefly! I think Murph_D probably has it spot-on. If I'd started 20m behind the start line and finished in the exact same time, I'd be happy enough. The fact that I feel I may not have run to my potential because of some early poor judgement doesn't sit well with me.
    tang1 wrote:
    So it takes you 2 more training cycles to break 2.30, it's 2 more training cycles doing something you throughly enjoy and are damn good at. What's wrong with that?
    Absolutely nothing. I love running. One cycle would have increased the likelihood that it might happen. Two cycles decreases that likelihood. With every year, the intensity increases, commitment increases and age increases! I've been very lucky to avoid any serious injuries for the last few years. I'm not sure that I could climb back up to the same level, if I had to take a 3 month injury-related layoff. But... with inspirational runners like Mick Traynor, Mick Byrne and Pauric McKinney continuing to run fantastic times and lead the way, there's always hope.
    Asimonov wrote:
    Great report, I don't know much about running at that level
    Gerr'out'avit! The only difference between your time and mine is a couple of training cycles. I'm more impressed that you took a step back, and later returned to a point very close to your previous level of fitness. I'll always remember the great battle that never was - the Wexford half marathon in April '09, with both of us chasing down a sub 90 minute target. You finished comfortably under 90 minutes and I hobbled home as one of the last finishers in 2:21. I learnt a number of lessons that day!
    Murph_D wrote:
    I'll even forgive your for using the word "architect" as a verb
    Architect isn't a verb? Next you'll be saying 'mechanic', 'pilot' and 'engineer' ain't no verbs neither! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Great report, KC. You continue to inspire and impress - thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done on the PB and a smashing race report to go with it Krusty, the stars didn't quite align on the and yet you achieve what you achieved, great stuff altogether. Looking forward to the next year of logging !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

In your situation there is only one answer alcohol and Gary Raffertys Get it Right Next Time. That's two answers so I deserve a bonus. You Tube it (if your not already a fan ) and absorbed the lyrics. Night Owll also strikes a cord but I'm already drunk as you have probably guessed. Some of us are just not cut out for the ultimate moment of satisfaction when everything comes together and we dance with uninhibited joy. For us its the journey, lucky us. Well done you continue to be an inspiration, you moany hole bastard.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    In your situation there is only one answer alcohol and Gary Raffertys Get it Right Next Time. That's two answers so I deserve a bonus. You Tube it (if your not already a fan ) and absorbed the lyrics. Night Owll also strikes a cord but I'm already drunk as you have probably guessed. Some of us are just not cut out for the ultimate moment of satisfaction when everything comes together and we dance with uninhibited joy. For us its the journey, lucky us. Well done you continue to be an inspiration, you moany hole bastard.

Haha. Love it! Good tunes too, particularly at this hour of the morning when you can't sleep. The race report may have come across a little bleaker then I had intended, bur 68% satisfaction is a whole lot of satisfaction! I am indeed a moany hole though. I think I prefer to be dissatisfied, as it sets the scene and the tone for my next training cycle. I thrive more on a perception of failure than one of success. Even when I'm happy with a performance, I can successfully walk away 10 seconds later having convinced myself that it was crap. It's very Irish ('What. ..This old dress?!'), and it's a skill!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I love the fact that UP posted at 2.30am and edited an hour later, God only knows what was in the original :)

Well done KC on a great race. That's mad regards the start, I've had a few dodgy starts myself before and the feeling of frustration the first few miles is incredible. Honestly feels like a bad dream!

I've entered Berlin myself and seen you liking the 5k in Armagh and 10k in Highgate on Facebook. Looks like we both have a similar plan of action for another marathon assault next year :)

I love the fact that UP posted at 2.30am and edited an hour later, God only knows what was in the original :)
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. I think I'm glad I got the sanitized version!

Great stuff on the race front. Looks like we'll have to miss out on Charleville though, which is a bit of a shame. Throw in Ballycotton, and that's almost my entire race calendar for next year sorted. I've a feeling that the Highgate Harriers 10,000 might not be the easiest to get into, given the addition of the Olympic qualifier. I dropped the organizer an e-mail, and he's added me to the mailing list for registration announcements, which should be end of February, so fingers crossed.

BTW: I know it seems crazy early, but I set up a flight alert on Skyscanner, and had an e-mail in my inbox this morning about cheap Aer Lingus flights. They're still not selling seats for the return flight on Monday (until tomorrow), but if the flights are similarly cheap, I'll be booking in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I certainly wouldn't describe it as a disappointment. If you squint your eyes closely while watching the finish line video, you might even notice that I even managed to smile briefly! I think Murph_D probably has it spot-on. If I'd started 20m behind the start line and finished in the exact same time, I'd be happy enough. The fact that I feel I may not have run to my potential because of some early poor judgement doesn't sit well with me.

Absolutely nothing. I love running. One cycle would have increased the likelihood that it might happen. Two cycles decreases that likelihood. With every year, the intensity increases, commitment increases and age increases! I've been very lucky to avoid any serious injuries for the last few years. I'm not sure that I could climb back up to the same level, if I had to take a 3 month injury-related layoff. But... with inspirational runners like Mick Traynor, Mick Byrne and Pauric McKinney continuing to run fantastic times and lead the way, there's always hope.

Gerr'out'avit! The only difference between your time and mine is a couple of training cycles. I'm more impressed that you took a step back, and later returned to a point very close to your previous level of fitness. I'll always remember the great battle that never was - the Wexford half marathon in April '09, with both of us chasing down a sub 90 minute target. You finished comfortably under 90 minutes and I hobbled home as one of the last finishers in 2:21. I learnt a number of lessons that day!

Architect isn't a verb? Next you'll be saying 'mechanic', 'pilot' and 'engineer' ain't no verbs neither! :)

Hahaha, I was in that Wexford Half Marathon in 2009. I ran 1:49. Thrilled to know that I am 1-0 in Half Marathons raced against each other. Think I will be retiring with that winning record :D:D

Enjoyed that report. Honest as always. Nothing wrong with having mixed emotions with the run. You obviously know it was a great performance and will probably appreciate it more in the future when looking back. But it's the nature of the beast to not be fully satisfied. How else can an athlete improve, and find the motivation to improve when he/she thinks everything was 100% perfect? I think the fact that you aren't entirely over the moon despite running a 2 minute PB is the biggest positive of the lot. It means there should be more to come.

With the 2:29, I wouldn't be writing it off like that. I'd let your training tell you if it is on as opposed to your brain telling you it won't happen 11 months out. It might happen, it might not, but there's no way you can know just yet. So enjoy the PB for now, and closer to Berlin you'll be better informed on whether it is 2:29, 2:30 or 2:31 you will be targeting.

Main thing is to enjoy the PB. I know myself full well how rarer they become the longer you've been at it, so you've got to appreciate it and enjoy it when it happens.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hahaha, I was in that Wexford Half Marathon in 2009. I ran 1:49. Thrilled to know that I am 1-0 in Half Marathons raced against each other. Think I will be retiring with that winning record :D:D
    Here's the link to the results, just in case you want to frame it. :)
    I'm coming after your 400m PB next. ;)

This bloody tune has been stuck in my head all day:

Advertisement