Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurolines Bus + Ferry

• 12-07-2012 4:50pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is the difference between the below options?

8711 27-Jul-2012 18:00 London Victoria Coach Station Holyhead - Dublin Ferryport Dublin (Busaras) Irish Ferries 28-Jul-2012 06:40
    Adult €25.00

871 27-Jul-2012 18:00 London Victoria Coach Station Holyhead - Dublin Ferryport Dublin (Busaras) Irish Ferries 28-Jul-2012 06:40
    Adult €36.00

They appear to have same times and details yet the first is 10 euro cheaper? I can't find any information relating to service 8711? Also the lowest fare advertised is 36 euro but 8711 shows 25?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Cheaper one gone now? You should have stayed schtum.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

devnull wrote: »
    What is the difference between the below options?

8711 27-Jul-2012 18:00 London Victoria Coach Station Holyhead - Dublin Ferryport Dublin (Busaras) Irish Ferries 28-Jul-2012 06:40
    Adult €25.00

871 27-Jul-2012 18:00 London Victoria Coach Station Holyhead - Dublin Ferryport Dublin (Busaras) Irish Ferries 28-Jul-2012 06:40
    Adult €36.00

They appear to have same times and details yet the first is 10 euro cheaper? I can't find any information relating to service 8711? Also the lowest fare advertised is 36 euro but 8711 shows 25?

The first option is an economy fare - which means it's non refundable, the price of 25 is only available if you are booking a return journey. Also this price is only available when booking two or more weeks in advance. Say's 5 days on the website but i'm pretty sure it is now 2 weeks.

The second option is a standard ticket and is amendable and refundable and does not require a return journey to be booked to get the price of 36

More info here https://194.106.151.95/EurolinesPublic/EurolinesPublicWebApp/tickettypedescriptions.asp

As for the service numbers I'm pretty sure 871 and 8711 are the same service just coded different on the website for the different ticket prices

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

The 871 service is served by 2 different buses. One of them is a Bus Eireann Eurolines bus and the other is a private contractor bus. The Bus Eireann bus is generally driven by a Bus Eireann driver onto the ship then the driver disembarks and a UK National Express driver picks up the bus in Holyhead. The Private contractor bus is driven all the way there and back by the same driver.

It shouldn't of made a difference to pricing though. The prices aren't tiered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Some interesting characters on the Eurolines. :D

Good service though for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Madworld wrote: »
    Some interesting characters on the Eurolines. :D

Good service though for the price.

"Interesting characters" — do you mean drunks, talking loudly and continuously for the whole journey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Louche Lad wrote: »
    "Interesting characters" — do you mean drunks, talking loudly and continuously for the whole journey?

The people who mainly use it are older Irish people who went over to England years ago. Consequently you often get the odd mad one on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

I only used it once (return) and had no problem with the other passengers. Feels a lot like an old folks home when you get on and there's a distinctive smell of ham and cheese sandwiches.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I booked different days anyway! The only reason I will be using it is I have need to travel to the UK and I cannot fly due to an injury I sustained a few weeks ago and medical advice.was not to fly for a couple of months under any circumstances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're in for a long sit from London. Done it 2 years ago myself. When you get on the ferry, try to find somewhere comfortable to lay down as soon as you can. A lot of the seating around the bar area offer no support at all even for sitting at casually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Anybody know if babies are chargeable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Anybody know if babies are chargeable?

Yes they are. Everyone on the bus needs a seat and children as well as infants are chargeable.
    Sail and Rail however is free for kids 0-5 inclusive and is a superior product if you can get the ferry in the morning or afternoon. For evening travel Eurolines is the only way to go as there are no trains from Holyhead until 04:25 in the morning off the night sailings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Madworld wrote: »
    The people who mainly use it are older Irish people who went over to England years ago. Consequently you often get the odd mad one on the bus.
    markpb wrote: »
    I only used it once (return) and had no problem with the other passengers. Feels a lot like an old folks home when you get on and there's a distinctive smell of ham and cheese sandwiches.
    Definitely a distinctive crowd of passengers alright in my experiences. :D

I'd say a lot of them aren't computer literate and are terrified by the whole saga of booking a Ryanair flight/hidden charges/baggage allowance/on line check in etc. Much simpler to go to Busaras and buy a ticket at the counter.

(...and, of course a few who have a fear of flying).

Another amusing thing is the amount of passengers who do not understand that the driver is required to take a 45 minute break on route. You hear comments like "Jasyus, look at him with his feet up. You think he'd get going now. Sure we got our cuppa tea and everyone's been to the toilet. What's he waiting around for?"

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Good article on the whole eurolines Dublin to London experience http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0616/1224318022223.html

Advertisement