Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anyone know what happened to the Dublin Bay 21s or do they still exist? A brand new one up on apollo duck

http://yachts.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=386065

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

neris wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the Dublin Bay 21s or do they still exist? A brand new one up on apollo duck

http://yachts.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=386065

http://afloat.ie/blogs/sailing-saturday-with-wm-nixon/item/26886-is-the-new-dublin-bay-24-the-best-way-forward-for-old-classic-yachts?

Here's a VERY long article about the DB24's (which I'll confess to only having skimmed through), with a bit of a ding-dong regarding the DB21's in the comments section.

The original fleet have rotted in a field/yard somewhere in Wicklow.

I never saw the 21's afloat, but was in the NYC when the 24's came in from their last race in Dublin Bay before being shipped to France. They were real beauties.

Possibly the one for sale is something to do with Roger Bannon - he of the plastic Mermaid a few years ago that caused such a stink. (It's also possible that that is confirmed or not in the article which I haven't read!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The link on Apollo D is from Tiernan Roe a boat builder so I think the add is for him to build you one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I crewed on Arandora (she sailed from the Irish then) a few times waaaaay back – she was always known as the ‘Banana boat’ because of her colour. Euphanzel I remember from the George, she wintered on the forecourt, our plastic boat required a couple of sundays, Euphanzel was a labour of love to refinish the hull & caulking after a season’s racing. They were great fun to sail and have beautiful lines. Jockeying for the line you’d see them really hard pressed, right over and an acre of keel on view, enough to have a party on.
    I got my very first bank loan as a result of a discussion about DB24s. Mr. Buckley, Manager AIB Dun Laoghaire, a gentleman of refined sailing taste, had old photos of them and 21's on his office walls. My comment that they now were Bermudan rigged and no longer gaffers led to a long conversation about sailing and a cup of tea. Eventually ’…to see me about a loan? Just write the cheque dear boy, we will look after you.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A couple of photos from my 'archive' - one, sail no. 44 is a Glen, same designer as the DB24 and DB21. The other is I think a DB21, clarification welcome!

• Advertisement

I saw a very odd looking site earlier today while out for a cycle in the wicklow mountains. On one of the back roads up from Blessington lake to the Sally Gap I passed a house and saw somthing pointy and at an angle from behind the trees. Thinking it was a caravan I cycled on and as I passed the house had to do a double take as the caravan was actually a 25-30ft yacht turned upside down with the keel and rudder still on it and what looked like a very good paint job. Judging b the keel shape Id say she have been early 70s IOR crusier racer. Couldnt get back to get a photo as I was going down hill but just the middle of the wicklow mountains was an odd place to have your boat turned upside down

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I hope you guy's are all ok and best wishes to the person involved.
    Sailor treated for spinal injury after Dublin Bay rescue.... http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sailor-treated-for-spinal-injury-after-dublin-bay-rescue-649495.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Oh flip.

Best wishes to the injured sailor and to all involved. Hope a full recovery is made.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Best wishes to them for a full recovery

That's a boat I sail on and a pal of mine.

He's fine, being kept in overnight for observation, very battered and bruised but no serious injury, thank God.

Thanks for the good wishes!

• Advertisement

Not a nice experience breaking a mast and injury makes it worse. Hope hes ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Got an update from the race office today:
    There are no spinal or major injuries, he was kept in overnight in Vincents for observation & everything is hopefully looking positive for an early release today. Our best wishes go to him and hopefully see him out again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

Second Sigma 33 rig failure this year, we know of. Very untypical.

ahun wrote: »

Third.

One dismasted on the Liverpool-Isle of Man ISORA night race, shortly after leaving Liverpool, and another one while delivering to Holyhead for another ISORA race.

They're fantastic boats - the one that dismasted on Sunday has been to Spain and Norway in recent years - but disaster can strike the best of us at any time.

ETA - now I'm thinking that the delivery one was last year.....

ETA (2) - nope, was this year, in May. I'm not totally losing it, yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad to hear he is doing well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ahun wrote: »

Perhaps the Sigma fleet is all becoming a certain age where things start to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oystercatcher

I hear that Sean O'Regan of Vespucci, of the white sails fleet in Dun Laoghaire slipped on the pontoon and damaged his ankle yesterday. Did anyone hear how he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We was out there moving sails from the boat and came across him laid out on the pontoon, helped moving his car home he went off in an ambulance to Vincents, have not heard any news yet, but will let you know if I hear anything.

I hear that Sean O'Regan of Vespucci, of the white sails fleet in Dun Laoghaire slipped on the pontoon and damaged his ankle yesterday. Did anyone hear how he is?
    Vexorg wrote: »
    We was out there moving sails from the boat and came across him laid out on the pontoon, helped moving his car home he went off in an ambulance to Vincents, have not heard any news yet, but will let you know if I hear anything.

Dearie me, best wishes to Seán, I know him from his C3 days - hope it's/he's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Just heard that he is okish. 2 breaks one below the knee and one at the ankle, some damaged ligaments and a pile of strong painkillers.

May not he helming for a while.

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    Just heard that he is okish. 2 breaks one below the knee and one at the ankle, some damaged ligaments and a pile of strong painkillers.

May not he helming for a while.

:eek:

WTF happened? How could you do all of that to yourself by tripping/slipping on a marina pontoon :confused:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    :eek:

WTF happened? How could you do all of that to yourself by tripping/slipping on a marina pontoon :confused:

Friend of mine jumped off a docked 60 footer a few years ago in DL marina. Jumped right onto a mooring cleat broken ankle & damaged ligaments. He is very accident prone though

neris wrote: »
    Friend of mine jumped off a docked 60 footer a few years ago in DL marina. Jumped right onto a mooring cleat broken ankle & damaged ligaments. He is very accident prone though
    Jumping I can understand. Met Sean today and he said he literally just slipped, one leg went one way and the other.... well, the other :eek:

Scary how easily an injury can happen.

He seemed in very good form though, fair play to him. He won't be seeing any more of the Turkey Shoot though!

Might be of interest to some of you.

Could be the end of cheep fuel "Brussels says we can't let private craft use cheap fuel" http://www.todayfm.com/EU-sues-Ireland-over-yacht-fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Fcuk Brussels, seriously, the EU has gotten to the point where they're no longer helping anyone, they're just meddling.

Time for the government to grow a pair and tell europe to F Off. They are really scraping around in brussels now for new laws to dream up.

A now you sailors get free wind and cheep fuel while us powerboaters have to pay top whack for our fuel so it only seems fair. :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seriously, how can anyone justify reduced duty diesel for pleasure boats when people pay full duty on fuel for their cars for going to work and the like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Why do the EU care about how much fuel is taxed here?

Advertisement