Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuity stopped working

• 21-11-2014 7:21pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I downloaded Yosemite on my 2011 iMac and continuity worked flawlessly with my iPhone. Then out of the blue it stopped working.
    When someone phones me my iMac rings, I can accept their call on my iMac but their voice does not come from the iMac speakers and the mic on the iMac does not work either. I signed out and back in again from FaceTime on both devices, but no joy.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Tried the usual stuff like restarting both devices, turning off handoff and back on again, etc?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Zcott wrote: »
    Tried the usual stuff like restarting both devices, turning off handoff and back on again, etc?

Thanks of the quick response.

I have restarted both devices, signed in & out of iCloud too.
    The only place that I found handoff settings on my iMac was in FaceTime so I turned it on & off here too.

This website suggested turning on and off bluetooth on both devices, but if I turn this off on my iMac the I have no mouse so I didn't do that. Can't see how it would help anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Phone calls aren’t Handoff. They are both separate features of Continuity.

Try and make a regular FaceTime call (say from your Mac to your phone) and see if you experience the same issue. If so, then it’s most likely a problem with your audio settings. Like you have something connected which FaceTime is attempting to use for audio and the microphone. Click on the video menu in FaceTime and make sure it is set to use the internal microphone. And disconnect all USB devices.

If, however, FaceTime calls are unaffected, then it’s a problem with Continuity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Phone calls aren’t Handoff. They are both separate features of Continuity.

Oh, ok.
    Try and make a regular FaceTime call (say from your Mac to your phone) and see if you experience the same issue.

This works perfectly.
    If, however, FaceTime calls are unaffected, then it’s a problem with Continuity.

Right, it is a problem with continuity so.
    What should I try next?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It uses WiFi, so try restarting your router.

• Advertisement

It uses WiFi, so try restarting your router.

I am using Ethernet for the iMac. I will reset the router.
    My iMac rings when my iPhone rings and it is possible to answer the call from my iMac. The problem is that the mic & speakers on the iMac don't function when I do. I just have to make a scramble for the iPhone. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

I have found it to be buggy. Sometimes hand off only works one way. I found this procedure online that fixes it each time;

Turn off bluetooth on device that is not receiving hand offs
    Restart the other device
    Turn back on bluetooth on first device

It probably can be accomplished doing something else.

I wouldnt mind if I only had to do this once a week, but it seems to break every half hour at the moment!

I concede it could be something specific to my setup (router etc).

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Ps the call/sms through Mac always works, I am specifically talking about task handoffs within apple's apps.

2011 wrote: »
    I am using Ethernet for the iMac. I will reset the router.
    My iMac rings when my iPhone rings and it is possible to answer the call from my iMac. The problem is that the mic & speakers on the iMac don't function when I do. I just have to make a scramble for the iPhone. Hope that makes sense.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable and try connecting to the router using WiFi on the Mac and see if that fixes it.

I have found it to be buggy. Sometimes hand off only works one way. I found this procedure online that fixes it each time;

Turn off bluetooth on device that is not receiving hand offs
    Restart the other device
    Turn back on bluetooth on first device

It probably can be accomplished doing something else.

I wouldnt mind if I only had to do this once a week, but it seems to break every half hour at the moment!

I concede it could be something specific to my setup (router etc).

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Ps the call/sms through Mac always works, I am specifically talking about task handoffs within apple's apps.

Handoff uses Bluetooth and works very differently from other Continuity features like phone calls and SMS relay. It's not supported on either of my Macs, so I don't have any experience with it. Tbh I can't ever see either feature ever working very reliably given their reliance on Bluetooth and WiFi.

Advertisement