Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4 Nations

Options
  • 21-10-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Can't wait for the start of this tournament this Saturday.

England's team looks very good. I love the fact that Widdop and Smith are in the halves together and Tomkins back at full back with Hall and Charnley on the wings. James Roby is out so I was a bit surprised to see Hogdson named ahead of Clark at hooker. George Burgess and James Graham at prop looks potentially brilliant too.

The Wallabies team takes an interesting shape with no Thurston, Hayne or Slater. It will be interesting to see how Jennings and Walker do in the centres and Cherry-Evans and Cronk do in the halves. Paul Gallen is another big loss. They aren't as invincible this year and NZ will be looking for a scalp.

They have Foran back in the halves with Johnson and with youngsters Taumalolo, Watene-Zelezniak etc in there adding youth to the experience of guys like Mannering, Kenny-Dowell etc it should be a good test match.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Looking forward to it too, just hope England can actually live up to their potential.

James Graham captains for the first game, excellent player, plays on the edge though.

First game is live on BBC 2 starting from 6.30am. Great shame they don't show the Australia Kiwi game on after it, or any of the games not featuring England. They are all on Premier/Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Yeah all the games are on Setanta as you say. Kick off in both games are 7am and 9:30am.

Graham is captain as O'Loughlin has a quad strain and won't be risked. Really think that England's pack is as good as the Aussie or Kiwi one and with the guys in the backline that they have, there is no reason they can't go very close in this tournament. Obviously Sam Burgess, James Roby etc are big losses but it can be argued that the guys that Oz are missing and SBW defection are even a greater harm to their chances.

Really looking forward to it and hopefully the long season the English lads have had added to the long trip doesn't greatly effect their chances. Although this time it's weighted in the southern hemisphere's favour (final in NZ along with Australia and NZ playing England at home), I'm saying pre-tournament that it will be England vs Oz in the final and a narrow, narrow win for Aussie.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Oz named a very exciting young side! Delighted for Mansour to get in on the wing. Am looking forward to seeing young Sione Mata'utia get a run soon. He's freakishly talented for a guy just 19!

Kiwi NZ another Panther wing Dallin Watene-Zeliniak being ruled out with a broken ankle following a beach mishap.

Oz named a very exciting young side! Delighted for Mansour to get in on the wing. Am looking forward to seeing young Sione Mata'utia get a run soon. He's freakishly talented for a guy just 19!

Kiwi NZ another Panther wing Dallin Watene-Zeliniak being ruled out with a broken ankle following a beach mishap.

Ah I didnt hear that he was out and referenced him at the top as someone I was looking forward to seeing. He was very good for the Panthers this year, big shame.

Come on England! Going to miss this, don't finish work til 0800,won't get home before the end. Might try and stay up and watch the Aus Kiwi game though, should be the better of the 2 games anyway.

• Advertisement

20 gone and England committing a lot of silly mistakes and giving Samoa the lions share of possession. They haven't threatened too much but England aren't getting their hands on the ball.

As I speak now England go over for their first try. Great break from Daryl Clark with pretty much his first touch and sends Shenton over! Hopefully that kick starts them now. If they just complete their sets regularly the Samoans should tire in the second half

A dropped ball and two penalties conceded and Samoa go over. 6-6 now and as I said, just silly mistakes keep gifting the Samoans the ball in dangerous situations.

Bombed it home, wish I hadn't, England have looked crap what I've seen of it.

The Samoans have scored two tries in a row from their dummy half off two quick play the balls. 22-20 to Samoa with just under 20 to go. Going to be an interesting last quarter!

Bombed it home, wish I hadn't, England have looked crap what I've seen of it.

Yeah they've just taken their foot off the gas since they went 20-10 up. Hopefully that rather fortunate try just there kicks them up a notch for the final 15.

• Advertisement

England back in front, less than convincing

Phew. Under the kick has cost Samoa

Don't think Aussies or Kiwis will be shaking in their boots at prospect of facing England.

Game on again.

Terrible tackling from what I've seen of England.

Wins a win I suppose!

Don't think Aussies or Kiwis will be shaking in their boots at prospect of facing England.

No but I do think England will improve from that. A lot of new combinations especially in the halves. That will blow off the cobwebs and with guys like O'Loughlin to come back too I think they'll give them both a scare.

Aussies in massive trouble here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

I think Chris Hill was really giving his all. Shame that England never used Hall and Charnley at what they do best.....on t'wing.Ryan Hall is turning into a bulldozer nowadays. Still, as was said, a win is a win is a win and England are probably goingto get into second gear next week. Worth getting up in the middle of the night(almost)? Yes, enjoyed it. Samoa really surprised me with their stamina this time round and may provide an upset later on.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Aussies in massive trouble here!!

Well that was a huge turn up, only caught the highlights but Kiwis looked very good.

Exciting, good games to start the tournament.

Yeah the Kiwis were dominant and they butchered a few open goals too. The Aussies will bounce back next week so it will be interesting to see how England deal with them, they'll have to step up on today's performance!

• Advertisement

Even earlier start Sunday morning, on from 4:30 am on BBC2. Highlights later the same day at 5:00 pm. If England play much better than the Samoa game and Australia as average as they did against the Kiwis we will have a cracker of a game. Don't think its going to pan out that way though, think the Aussies will win by 20 points. Disappointed they have gone back to a non-neutral ref but not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Even earlier start Sunday morning, on from 4:30 am on BBC2. Highlights later the same day at 5:00 pm. If England play much better than the Samoa game and Australia as average as they did against the Kiwis we will have a cracker of a game. Don't think its going to pan out that way though, think the Aussies will win by 20 points. Disappointed they have gone back to a non-neutral ref but not surprised.

Can't wait to see Sione Mata'utia getting his 1st Test.

Wayne Bennett earmarked this kid 2 years ago as the future of the knight, earlier this year said he's a future captain.

Made his debut two wks after turning 18. 7 games, a handful of tries and stellar performances and he's now a Kangaroo!

Watch out England!

Kiwis left it very late to snatch a win against the Samoans, they've been a revelation (to me anyway) this tournament.

England with a great chance to knock out the Aussies here. Super first half and they lead by more than a score at 12-4. Their defence has been rock solid

Also the jerseys both teams are wearing are eh interesting!!

England should have extended their lead at one end and Inglis nearly makes them pay but for an obstruction that calls the would be try back

55 gone and the Aussies are getting a bit worried. They've brought Bennie Hunt on the exciting half back for Brisbane and put him at dummy half. Cameron Smith goes to lock.

It pays of nearly immediately as Smith interchanges with Hunt and dribbles a kick in for Hunt to touch down. 12-10 now and very much game on

Aussie really finding their stride now. Cherry Evans splits the defence with a beautiful dummy and draws the last man and send Inglis over. 16-12 for Aussie now and England need to go back to attacking the gain line agains. They've been happy to probe the corners since half time and they have only really threatened the Aussie line once.

5 to go and australia looking comfortable in defence. Clark might be the best option out of dummy half. England not taking chances with offloads and finishing sets with high bombs that are being gobbled up by the australian back three

Luke Farrell with a chip through and Inglis makes a meal of putting it over the dead ball line. Ryan Hall gets a finger on the ball and in slow motion it looks like he's grounded the ball. In real time it looks like a knock on. There's only a minute left so this is pretty much the ball game.

Ruled no try and because he touched it, it's a 20m restart for Aussie and that's the game now. England will rue not really going for the throat in the second half like NZ did last week. Bare facts are if you don't score in the entire second half you're not going to beat Aistralia full stop

• Advertisement

Had to think that was their best chance in years to beat the Aussies, but just seemed to lack belief second half.

All on the NZ game now for England, but don't fancy their chances.

Advertisement