Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calf Prices 2014

Options
  • 13-01-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭

Any news from the sales rings yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

sussed a few calf farms and AA and HE at the minute are running at E320 for 2-3 weeks old and about E370 for 5-6 weeks old but that price might calm down when the main calving starts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Reggie. wrote: »
    sussed a few calf farms and AA and HE at the minute are running at E320 for 2-3 weeks old and about E370 for 5-6 weeks old but that price might calm down when the main calving starts

Saw a BB bull make €450, while weanling LM bull was only making €800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

That's pricey, should come down bait doh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Was talking to a lad that was in Carlow mart today and said any cont. calves were making good money, said he saw one guy with smashing ch and lim calves sell from €480-570 had around 9 of them, didn't say anything about fr calves

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There will be a great demand for calves to drink milk with the superlevy problem, will keep calf prices good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

RobertKK wrote: »
    There will be a great demand for calves to drink milk with the superlevy problem, will keep calf prices good.

My Jex better all be born before Patricks day, they might make a score?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

my brother calves down early and gets good money for hes fr bull calves, one advantage of early calving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Although that has been the case in other yrs where there's a super levy looming, can't see it happening this yr, with the exceptional milk price coupled with the hammering the bull market is taking at the moment, think guys will continue to send the milk in and pay the fine instead of filling the yard with dairy bull calves. Having said that, I hope I'm wrong as I'll have a good few calves to sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Quota issues here. Come April you won't get 12c, for the milk the fr/ho bull calf will have consumed,consequently I will be selling the bull calves at 14 days. Add the losses and the problems of overcrowding the extra work and you would only be a busy fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

kevthegaff wrote: »
    my brother calves down early and gets good money for hes fr bull calves, one advantage of early calving

But has to feed the fresh calvers silage for longer, at an increased cost, and with the risk of them milking their backs off? I can't help but feel its false economy if that is the only reason he calves early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Heard a report from Carrigallen over the weekend.
    Dairy calves were making from €5 for Jrx to €120 for good Fr suitable for export. About 120 calves in total. I didn't hear what continental calves were going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Rho b wrote: »
    Dairy calves were making from €5 for Jrx to €120 for good Fr suitable for export. About 120 calves in total. I didn't hear what continental calves were going for.

Heard off a lad that was in bandon Monday said calves were a solid rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Jaysus for a few euros more you would have a beefy limo weanling .
    That lad has right thin fr legs on him too .
    The sad thing is if he went into a calf ring two clowns would probably get stuck into him and he would make close enough to the 650

simx wrote: »
    Heard off a lad that was in bandon Monday said calves were a solid rob

Can't understand why but your right, was hoping to pick up a few
    AA or HE early this year but I think I may hold out for another while as the prices are crazy at the minute. There would be no meat left on the bone at 22 months

moy83 wrote: »
    Jaysus for a few euros more you would have a beefy limo weanling .
    That lad has right thin fr legs on him too .
    The sad thing is if he went into a calf ring two clowns would probably get stuck into him and he would make close enough to the 650

Could be just pure chancing there too Moy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Could be just pure chancing there too Moy.

Half of them are alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Can't understand why but your right, was hoping to pick up a few
    AA or HE early this year but I think I may hold out for another while as the prices are crazy at the minute. There would be no meat left on the bone at 22 months
    Can't understand why anyone would buy calves just now, always overpriced at this time because the volume isn't there. Wait one month and the spring dairy calves will be out, then major drop in price, happens every year

Can't understand why anyone would buy calves just now, always overpriced at this time because the volume isn't there. Wait one month and the spring dairy calves will be out, then major drop in price, happens every year

Nah was just going to get them if they were going anyway right but alas they weren't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭limo_100

Rho b wrote: »

was in it was a complete rob. freisen bulls making up to 180. There was no angus or whitehead calves in it only a few blues they were beteen 420 and 500. weanlings were far better value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

limo_100 wrote: »
    was in it was a complete rob. freisen bulls making up to 180. There was no angus or whitehead calves in it only a few blues they were beteen 420 and 500. weanlings were far better value

Lot more buyers in calf ring compared to weanling bull too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭limo_100

Farrell wrote: »
    Lot more buyers in calf ring compared to weanling bull too

you could hardly stand in the ring it was that jammed. Im surprised the freisen bulls are making so much considering the beating there taking in the marts and factorys

limo_100 wrote: »
    you could hardly stand in the ring it was that jammed. Im surprised the freisen bulls are making so much considering the beating there taking in the marts and factorys

Guess people reckon they will be good money for them in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Its time to be getting back into the bull business me thinks ;)

Its time to be getting back into the bull business me thinks ;)

What ya hear

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What ya hear

Nothing I'd say, but a good business strategy is to do the opposite to what everyone else is doing :P

Timmaay wrote: »
    Nothing I'd say, but a good business strategy is to do the opposite to what everyone else is doing :P

That's what I do, so your saying I am being so smart for being so dumb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

What ya hear

I heard the world wants cheap protein

I heard the world wants cheap protein

Ah they ll get it out of holland and barretts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Timmaay wrote: »

Your sounding like Warren Buffet, "be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful"....

Advertisement