Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Michael Roche was number 7, Sean Irish was number 10 if i'm not wrong, Jack Laffan was 24, think Gus Flynn was 23 thats all i could see god knows who else, it's a bit wrong to do that to people who want to watch out for upcoming talent in our county

I agree. The organisers should go and have a word in the ears of the selectors. Dont know what they think they are playing at when they do such stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I would not mind where they play ie number 2 as you say playing full forward etc so long as they wear the numbers given to them. This is a squad game tournament etc. If players are not wearing the numbers given to him it makes it harder to identify the player that impresses and you could say in the years ahead I saw him play Tony Forristal in 2011 or what ever.

Agreed. The numbers were all changed for the game against Tipp, a game we last by 4 or 5 points. We just weren't able for Tipp in the physical stakes and their taller players fielded everything. Can't make the final now, between KK and Tipp in the last game for that. We've our last game against Wexford for the wooden spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Don't think Dunne will take the Waterford job. And he said brick wasn't a centre back. Think he got that one wrong.
    got 2 agree with dunne there ,brick a very good centre back but midfield is the spot for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

got 2 agree with dunne there ,brick a very good centre back but midfield is the spot for him

You misunderstand. He said Brick didn't tick the right boxes for centre back. He got that very wrong, Brick is as good as any centre back in this country faoi láthair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I heard the u16s are through to the final thingy in Thurles tomorrow against Cork.

Anyone know where I could find out the team or any details about anything?

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    I heard the u16s are through to the final thingy in Thurles tomorrow against Cork.

Explain please :D

Explain please :D

Like, the u-14 competition was in Waterford, the u-16 was in Tipperary? I think? :P

Wait Ill find links..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ballygunner beat Tallow 2-18 to 0-06 in Fraher Field earlier. Sounded like a complete non-event, Gunners were leading by 10 at HT.

Daysha wrote: »
    Ballygunner beat Tallow 2-18 to 0-06 in Fraher Field earlier. Sounded like a complete non-event, Gunners were leading by 10 at HT.

Not suprised to be honest. Ballygunner very talented team and a level above Tallow really.

D'ya know if/what Thomas Ryan scored? :)

• Advertisement

You misunderstand. He said Brick didn't tick the right boxes for centre back. He got that very wrong, Brick is as good as any centre back in this country faoi láthair.
    of course he is brick is probably as good as any goalkeeper in country but midfield is where hes best. its no wonder we dont cross de line [sept 5th]eg take ken mc grath probably one of the best forwards in country but moved to centre back ,ok it worked out ok but was he replaced with a forward of same calibre

of course he is brick is probably as good as any goalkeeper in country but midfield is where hes best. its no wonder we dont cross de line [sept 5th]eg take ken mc grath probably one of the best forwards in country but moved to centre back ,ok it worked out ok but was he replaced with a forward of same calibre

Ken is a way better centre back than a centre forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

deise_girl wrote: »

Yeah some good news anyway as the Tony Forristal team didn't do much and I heard the U15's in that Tipp tournament didn't do too well either (strange considering that would have been the team that won the TF last year). Would also be interested in any team lists if anyone has anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

There's a display of photographs by Annie Brophy in Christ Church at the moment and I thought this one might be of interest to posters here:

Frankie-Walsh-and-family-500x375.jpg

Not a scene often captured in Waterford!

Ken is a way better centre back than a centre forward.
    but was he replaced with a forward of equal ability

but was he replaced with a forward of equal ability

True, but as anyone that would have seen him play today, he is best suited a little further out the field.

Weekend results:

Group 1
    Ballyduff Upper 1-18 Stradbally 0-11
    Fourmilewater 1-13 DLS 1-13
    Lismore 5-14 Abbeyside 2-13

Group 2
    Ballygunner 2-15 Tallow 0-6
    Roanmore 1-12 Passage 1-11
    Mount Sion 1-14 Dungarvan 2-11

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Great result for Roanmore does this guarantee them senior hurling next year or what way they fixed, De La Salle were lucky from what i've heard Fourmilewater hit a good few wides

Great result for Roanmore does this guarantee them senior hurling next year or what way they fixed, De La Salle were lucky from what i've heard Fourmilewater hit a good few wides

Curtosy of PTH2009 from an earlier thread:
    The top 4 teams go through from each group

The draw for the Quarter finals are as follows

1st Grp A vs 4th Grp B
    2nd Grp A vs 3rd Grp B
    3rd Grp A vs 2nd Grp B
    4th Grp A vs 1st Grp B

Then the semi final is an open draw i think.

Relagation is similar

5th Grp A vs 6th Grp B
    6th Grp A vs 5rh Grp B

The 2 losers play off and loser goes down.

In group 1 Stradbally are certain of finishing in the bottom 2, and Abbeyside will join them if they fail to beat Fourmilewater.

In group 2 next weekend it's a straight knock-out. The winners of Tallow/Roanmore and Passage/Dungarvan go into the quarters, the losers into the relegation playoffs. Draws favour Tallow and Dungarvan.

DLS, Mount Sion, Ballygunner and Lismore are all into the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Thanks for that Daysha,

• Advertisement

Was at the Fourmile V DLS game and the Abbeyside v Lismore game.

Fourmile hit 15 wides and DLS hit 10 apparently. Some bad wides probably cost Fourmile, but their skill levels are very good. Jamie Barron hit 1-2 from play in the first half (none from play second half) I think in total he scored 1-5 or so. Moran was taken for 3 points by Alan Lawlor, he seemed to be a good ways off for those points not sure what the strategy was there. Michael O'Gorman was the most impressive on display in my view. John Mullane was well shackled, I'd say he hit no more then two points. Liam Lawlor played quite well. Shane Walsh went through phases of seeing very little ball, but would say he scored around 3 points. Most of De La Salle's points game from set pieces. Eoin Madigan is a beast, 1-1 I think he scored, his point was phenomenal. I think Fourmile got the best of the midfield battle. De La Salle's corner back Doherty (think it was Doherty) did well. Fourmile played a two man full forward line, hence there being less space. Kept the score down on both sides. Would agree that they probably left it behind them, as they were 3 points up at halft time and led for practically the entire game. Highlight of the game was either Madigans point or a great point from Jamie Barron in the first half on the bank side, as he tore past the defence and fired over on the run.

I was 20 minutes late for the other game and would you believe Abbeyside were 2-6 to 1-3 up. No idea who got the goals up to that point. I think the sun and wind had a big impact on the game. In the first half the sun was in the Lismore backs eyes and they were against the wind. Patrick Hurney was getting on some great balls and driving through but his striking was terrible, he showed some good skill though but no end product. I thought Shane Bennett was very good at wing back for Lismore. Paudie Prender went centre back and looked good there. Maurice won a lot of ball and his goal on the stroke of half time to leave them only 3 down (2-10 to 2-07) made all the difference.

On the resumption he made some fine catches and got some good scores. Abbeyside fell apart when Stephen O'Keeffe drilled a ball across from the stand touchline to the edge of the parellogram where John Prendergast showed great skill to get the ball in his hand and blast to the net. Then Dan put John Heneghan through for a goal, which he took well. Not sure who scored the last Lismore goal I must say, didn't have a programme. Highlight of the match was a fine point from substitute Paul Fennessey for Lismore. Back turned to goal he got on the ball and hit it without turning from about 45 yards or so just left of goal. It soared high and never faltered, straight as you like, great point.

All in all, an entertaining day in my opinion. I feel sorry for anyone who witnessed the farce that occorred in Croke Park today.

True, but as anyone that would have seen him play today, he is best suited a little further out the field.
    not talking about 2 day but about 6/7 years ago

In group 1 Stradbally are certain of finishing in the bottom 2, and Abbeyside will join them if they fail to beat Fourmilewater.

In group 2 next weekend it's a straight knock-out. The winners of Tallow/Roanmore and Passage/Dungarvan go into the quarters, the losers into the relegation playoffs. Draws favour Tallow and Dungarvan.

So there will be relegation semi finals this year? That's interesting.

For me, I think it'll be De La Salle, Lismore, Fourmilewater and Ballyduff Upper

Haven't seen much of group 2, but I think Ballygunner and Mount Sion will be joined by Tallow and Dungarvan which would mean the quarters would be as follows;

Ballygunner v Ballyduff Upper
    De La Salle v Dungarvan
    Lismore v Tallow
    Mount Sion v Fourmilewater

But nothing is ever clear cut in sport.

Relegation is a straight game between the bottom side in each group. The fifth place teams have nothing to play for after next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice to see Jason Ryan on The Sunday Game tonight. Putting himself across very well too

Was at the Fourmile V DLS game and the Abbeyside v Lismore game.

Fourmile hit 15 wides and DLS hit 10 apparently. Some bad wides probably cost Fourmile, but their skill levels are very good. Jamie Barron hit 1-2 from play in the first half (none from play second half) I think in total he scored 1-5 or so. Moran was taken for 3 points by Alan Lawlor, he seemed to be a good ways off for those points not sure what the strategy was there. Michael O'Gorman was the most impressive on display in my view. John Mullane was well shackled, I'd say he hit no more then two points. Liam Lawlor played quite well. Shane Walsh went through phases of seeing very little ball, but would say he scored around 3 points. Most of De La Salle's points game from set pieces. Eoin Madigan is a beast, 1-1 I think he scored, his point was phenomenal. I think Fourmile got the best of the midfield battle. De La Salle's corner back Doherty (think it was Doherty) did well. Fourmile played a two man full forward line, hence there being less space. Kept the score down on both sides. Would agree that they probably left it behind them, as they were 3 points up at halft time and led for practically the entire game. Highlight of the game was either Madigans point or a great point from Jamie Barron in the first half on the bank side, as he tore past the defence and fired over on the run.

I was 20 minutes late for the other game and would you believe Abbeyside were 2-6 to 1-3 up. No idea who got the goals up to that point. I think the sun and wind had a big impact on the game. In the first half the sun was in the Lismore backs eyes and they were against the wind. Patrick Hurney was getting on some great balls and driving through but his striking was terrible, he showed some good skill though but no end product. I thought Shane Bennett was very good at wing back for Lismore. Paudie Prender went centre back and looked good there. Maurice won a lot of ball and his goal on the stroke of half time to leave them only 3 down (2-10 to 2-07) made all the difference.

On the resumption he made some fine catches and got some good scores. Abbeyside fell apart when Stephen O'Keeffe drilled a ball across from the stand touchline to the edge of the parellogram where John Prendergast showed great skill to get the ball in his hand and blast to the net. Then Dan put John Heneghan through for a goal, which he took well. Not sure who scored the last Lismore goal I must say, didn't have a programme. Highlight of the match was a fine point from substitute Paul Fennessey for Lismore. Back turned to goal he got on the ball and hit it without turning from about 45 yards or so just left of goal. It soared high and never faltered, straight as you like, great point.

All in all, an entertaining day in my opinion. I feel sorry for anyone who witnessed the farce that occorred in Croke Park today.

He got four, three from play and one from a free.

So there will be relegation semi finals this year? That's interesting.

For me, I think it'll be De La Salle, Lismore, Fourmilewater and Ballyduff Upper

Haven't seen much of group 2, but I think Ballygunner and Mount Sion will be joined by Tallow and Dungarvan which would mean the quarters would be as follows;

Ballygunner v Ballyduff Upper
    De La Salle v Dungarvan
    Lismore v Tallow
    Mount Sion v Fourmilewater

But nothing is ever clear cut in sport.

Lismore and Tallow could make a great game. Would have all up that side of the county out if it was played as as double header with the Ballyduff Upper game.

He got four, three from play and one from a free.

Hit plenty of wides too under pressure.

Lismore and Tallow could make a great game. Would have all up that side of the county out if it was played as as double header with the Ballyduff Upper game.

I don't. Something similar to Lismore's game today I'd say. To be honest, if those fixtures come to pass, the only one I'd see as a potentialy good game and close would be the Fourmile v Mount Sion game. Though I suppose, nothing is certain in sport, but that would be how I'd see it based on this years eveidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford Senior Hurling Championship 4th Round

Sunday August 28

Fourmilewater 1-13 De La Salle 1-13

This was a game which Fourmilewater should have won comfortably, but a combination of poor shooting and poor second half tactics allowed county and Munster champions De La Salle to come from behind to snatch a late draw. Hurling, apparently, has been given much more emphasis this year in the eternal tug-of-war between FMW and the Nire, and it showed, as the Ballymacarbry-based outfit got stuck in from the off and, combining well, they repeatedly tore holes in the De La Salle defence.

They got a tonic of a start when corner forward and county minor star Jamie Barron flicked cleverly to the net in the second minute after full forward Shane Walsh had created the opening. Despite playing against a stiff breeze, FMW dominated the first half exchanges and went in at half time 1-8 to 1-5 ahead, De La Salle’s goal having been scored half way through the half by Eoin Madigan who was put in by Jake Dillon.

De La Salle raised their game on the restart and quickly restored scoring parity before FMW came back strongly, but some terrible shooting from out the field with the wind at their back meant they made little impression on the scoreboard. Amazingly, FMW left both Jamie Barron and Shane Walsh in the full forward line where they watched shot after shot from out the field sail over their heads. In all, FMW had ten second half wides to De La Salle’s three. FMW persisted with their interpassing game right to the end, and while they did create enough scoring chances to win the game handily, either they should have mixed it by sending in more ball to the full forward line or should have brought Barron out the field where his shooting accuracy could have been put the better use.

It was nip and tuck for the last ten minutes with both sides trading points and, with time running out and FMW a single point ahead, Kevin Moran came up the field to win a free which Brian Phelan converted to tie up the game at the final whistle.

FMW: Conor Ryan; Tomás O’Gorman; Rory Rice; Liam Walsh; Maurice O’Gorman; Liam Lawlor; Shane Lawlor; Seamus Lawlor (0-1); Brian Wall; Michael O’Gorman (0-1); Alan Lawlor (0-3); Craig Guiry; Shane Ryan; Shane Walsh (0-3); Jamie Barron (1-5, 3 frees). Subs used: Justin Walsh; Richie Fenton.

De La Salle: John Coady; Kenneth Byrne; Ian Flynn; Michael Doherty; Brian Phelan (0-4, all frees); Kevin Moran; Conan Watt; Eddie Barrett; Dean Twomey; Páidí Nevin (0-1); Jake Dillon (0-2); David Greene (0-1); Eoin Madigan (1-1); John Mullane (0-4, one free), Lee Hayes. Subs used: Stephen Daniels; Shane McNulty.

Lismore 5-14 Abbeyside 2-13

Looking at this final score, it is hard to believe that, after just ten minutes, Abbeyside led by no less than nine points, 2-5 to 0-2. They got off to a brilliant start, with Mark Ferncombe and Mark Gorman getting on the end of defence-splitting passing moves to fire to the net in the first five minutes. However, playing against the wind, Lismore clawed their way back into the game, with Maurice Shanahan giving them a lifeline with a goal from a 20 metre free after 20 minutes. At the other end, Abbeyside missed some very straightforward chances, including two Richie Foley frees and a bad miss by Podsie Hurney who allowed Brendan Landers to deflect his point-blank shot from close range over the bar. Then, with virtually the last puck of the half, Maurice Shanahan flashed the ball to the net from close range after an Abbeyside defender failed to clear his lines, leaving the half-time score Abbeyside 2-10 Lismore 2-7.

Playing with the wind in the second half, Lismore quickly reduced the deficit to the minimum, but then the game went through a 15-minute spell without a score at either end before Lismore finally equalised. Abbeyside, who continued to miss easy chances, then regained the initiative before being rocked back by a blistering shot to the net from John Prendergast following an excellent crossfield ball by Stephen O’Keeffe. Lismore followed up with another well-crafted goal by John Heneghan, and whatever chance Abbeyside had of getting back into the game was lost when Mark Ferncombe missed an absolute sitter from the edge of the square. In the closing stages the Cathedral Town men put the icing on the cake when substitute Dave Bennett billowed the net having been set up by Dan Shanahan.

Following this game one was left wondering again at the shabby treatment meted out to Maurice Shanahan by Davy Fitzgerald over the last two years – treatment which may have been very costly indeed for Waterford’s hurling fortunes. In this game he was absolutely heroic, repeatedly winning the ball and carrying the game to Abbeyside. Despite receiving some heavy treatment, he ended up with a scoring tally of 2-5, and was involved in virtually every Lismore attack of note. Another key feature of the game was the superb catching and striking of young Paudie Prendergast, who lined out at centre back despite wearing No. 13.

The standard of hurling in this game was generally quite good, but Lismore’s ability to win primary possession and their greater desire, coupled with Abbeyside’s bad shooting, made them very deserving winners in the end. I think it was Dave Bennett who got the super point near the end which Mountain Lad attributed to Paul Fennessy.

Lismore: Brendan Landers; Eoin Bennett; David O’Gorman; Shane Heaphy; Shane Kearney; Paudie Prendergast; Shane Bennett (0-1); John Prendergast (1-2); Ray Barry (0-1); Stephen O’Keeffe (0-1); David Howard; Maurice Shanahan (2-5, 1-2 frees); Peter O’Keeffe (0-1); Dan Shanahan (0-1); John Heneghan (1-1). Sub used: Dave Bennett (1-1).

Abbeyside: Daryl Ryan; Gavin Breen; Shane Briggs; Maurice Power; John Phelan; John Hurney; Eoin Enright; Seán O’Hare; James O’Mahoney; Gary Hurney (0-2); Richie Foley (0-3, 2 frees); Patrick Hurney (0-1); Mark Gorman (1-2, 2 frees); Mark Fives (0-2); Mark Ferncombe (1-3). Sub used: Patrick Lynch.

In the other games played over the weekend, Ballygunner and Ballyduff Upper had easy wins over Tallow and Stradbally, respectively, Roanmore edged Passage out by a point while Dungarvan came from well behind to force a draw with Mount Sion.

In the final of the Arrabawn Under-16 hurling tournament in Thurles today, Cork beat Waterford by (I think) 1-19 to 1-11. I missed the first half as the game started at 12 noon despite being advertised for 12.30 on the Munster GAA website. Cork led at half time by 1-12 to 0-5 having played with the wind. The second half was evenly balanced (including on the score board) but Waterford lacked a cutting edge up front and never looked like closing the gap significantly. The fact that they played two full forwards for most of the second half despite playing with the wind didn’t help. Waterford had some good hurlers but a lot of them seemed to be affected by the occasion (or perhaps their efforts on Saturday). This fair play to them for getting to the final and keeping Waterford at the forefront of underage hurling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement