Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

did dermot aherne not bring in legislation that you where allowed use approriate force to protect yourself in your own house

Not to my knowledge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Everyday people get arrested for drink driving, shoplifting, assault, public order, burglary, possession of drugs etc, many of them will be displeased. Many of them will have Internet access and some will vent their fury through faceless angry messages on sites like this, there have been some excellent debate here but clearly some people are beyond debate and have agenda's. Not all by any means but I reckon some posters have been caught foul of the law and are angry cause the got caught, stay the right side of the law and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

did dermot aherne not bring in legislation that you where allowed use approriate force to protect yourself in your own house

Yep, unless the the burglar is blaspheming, in which case you are advised to dive headlong through the nearest window.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Everyday people get arrested for drink driving, shoplifting, assault, public order, burglary, possession of drugs etc, many of them will be displeased. Many of them will have Internet access and some will vent their fury through faceless angry messages on sites like this, there have been some excellent debate here but clearly some people are beyond debate and have agenda's. Not all by any means but I reckon some posters have been caught foul of the law and are angry cause the got caught, stay the right side of the law and you'll be fine.

Thats exactly what i said.
    Agendas but little to back them up.
    One of them even accused me of being a Garda just because i didn't agree with his criticism which was probably totally unfounded because he didn't go into the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

I can't get over the bitterness and begrudgery there is in this thread.

Fair enough if you don't like the approach of the Garda Unions but EVERYBODY is trying to survive. The days of rich Gardai who may also have a farm 'back home' to supplement their income is long gone. It can be a pretty ****e job from what I have observed from friends..and in reality the pay is not what you read/hear about, far from it.

Not just particular to this topic but in general I find a reverse snobbery is emerging in Ireland from people who feel they have less then their neighbour..it's almost like, well if I can't have it, I have the right to begrudge you it and say what I like about you..

All this kind of talk reminds me of Ireland in the 80's where people had to leave the country to do well and make money without criticism.

Begrudgers like to keep others in check because if they don't their own inadequacies become apparant. Be open to listening to the real facts in relation to other peoples pay and circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

Thats exactly what i said.
    Agendas but little to back them up.
    One of them even accused me of being a Garda just because i didn't agree with his criticism which was probably totally unfounded because he didn't go into the details.

i would bet my life that 90% of the people on here who are backing the gardai in there quest to mantain a better lifestyle than the common muck that they are supposed to serve, is either married, related or a member themselves of the fine upstanding organanisation that is the gardai suichana. strange that very few ordinary hard working decent folk hold the gardai in the same high estemm which they see themselves

and their first thought is to go straight onto the internet to bad mouth the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

i would bet my life that 90% of the people on here who are backing the gardai in there quest to mantain a better lifestyle than the common muck that they are supposed to serve, is either married, related or a member themselves of the fine upstanding organanisation that is the gardai suichana. strange that very few ordinary hard working decent folk hold the gardai in the same high estemm which they see themselves
    ever think that its a REFLECTION on the type of people YOU are friendly with:mad::mad: and that you hang around with !!!Maybe WE ARE the normal hardworking decent folk on this thrend and you are the MINORITY :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: BTW I am neither a garda , married or related to a garda :o:o IM just a normal ordinary decent working person :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ah cmon I have never been in trouble with the police but I recognise that the police force has some bad elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

You sound like you have seperate and personal unresolved issues with the Gardai. Try not to let it cloud your judgement. Life is too short and the decent ordinary hard working people of Ireland come in all guises. :)

• Advertisement

your the one calling people common muck, I know from walking the beat and dealing with people and incidents that the vast majority of people of all classes are decent, there are pricks in all classes in fact if anything the upper classes can have a higher percentage of pricks, I don't make a god of anyone and I deal with everyone the same.

Well you must mix with strange people yourself because i do not find that at all. Nor am i related to a garda. I do not believe the common people of Ireland to be "muck" either and i am one of the common people.
    Get it off your chest lad as it is eating away at you and making you bitter. Why don't you call into your nearest Garda station and have a chat with someone. Tell them how you feel about them and maybe he will talk it through with you over a wee cup of tea and a bun. Don't be afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Gardai are a reflection of society of course, hence a few bad apples and a few in debt.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

cordub wrote: »
    ever think that its a REFLECTION on the type of people YOU are friendly with:mad::mad: and that you hang around with !!!Maybe WE ARE the normal hardworking decent folk on this thrend and you are the MINORITY :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: BTW I am neither a garda , married or related to a garda :o:o IM just a normal ordinary decent working person :D:D:D
    strange but ive worked in loads of different jobs with loads of different people from loads of different walks of life some who went on to become gardai and the general feeling about gardai ranged from at best apathy through to supicion and mistrust to a complete hatred. sure i can tell stories of things the gardai done which where good and decent and involved common sense but unfortunately for every one of these there are three times as many where they done themselves no favours. but all this aside it still comes down to the fact that a normal gardai wage should be the same as any other general worker

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

endae k nny I think all of us normal people out here have you sussed , ;););) get rid of those chips before they drag you down too far ;);)

strange but ive worked in loads of different jobs with loads of different people from loads of different walks of life some who went on to become gardai and the general feeling about gardai ranged from at best apathy through to supicion and mistrust to a complete hatred. sure i can tell stories of things the gardai done which where good and decent and involved common sense but unfortunately for every one of these there are three times as many where they done themselves no favours. but all this aside it still comes down to the fact that a normal gardai wage should be the same as any other general worker

Just more of the same innuendo and supposition.
    You are again scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    Have you got anything concrete at all that someone on here could check out?
    Of course as everyone said there are bad apples but your barrel is full of them.

Well you must mix with strange people yourself because i do not find that at all. Nor am i related to a garda. I do not believe the common people of Ireland to be "muck" either and i am one of the common people.
    Get it off your chest lad as it is eating away at you and making you bitter. Why don't you call into your nearest Garda station and have a chat with someone. Tell them how you feel about them and maybe HE will talk it through with you over a wee cup of tea and a bun. Don't be afraid.

somebody should tell you that they let women join the gardai now. have even seen some driving squad cars. as for the cup of tea and a bun i have spent a halr hour at the window just waiting for them to appear how long would i have to wait for tea and a bun

Just more of the same innuendo and supposition.
    You are again scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    Have you got anything concrete at all that someone on here could check out?
    Of course as everyone said there are bad apples but your barrel is full of them.

i could write a book and i am just an ordinary joe soap. imagine if i was a criminal, a lawyer, a garda, a teacher or a nurse somebody who came into contact with the gardai a lot. but sure if i did half the people wouldnt believe it and the other half probably have seen it all themselves

somebody should tell you that they let women join the gardai now. have even seen some driving squad cars. as for the cup of tea and a bun i have spent a halr hour at the window just waiting for them to appear how long would i have to wait for tea and a bun

So you have gone to speak to them. Good. Thats the first step. Get it all off your chest now. I bet it was worth the little wait.
    I'd say women were a very welcome addition to the Garda force.

So you have gone to speak to them. Good. Thats the first step. Get it all off your chest now. I bet it was worth the little wait.
    I'd say women were a very welcome addition to the Garda force.

i have spoken to them on manys an occasion and have nearly always came away with a smile on my face.

• Advertisement

i have spoken to them on manys an occasion and have nearly always came away with a smile on my face.

Had they a big grin too? I bet !!

Had they a big grin too? I bet !!

dont know, i dont have eyes on the back o me head.

dont know, i dont have eyes on the back o me head.

When your parnoid you don't need eyes in the back of your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

When your parnoid you don't need eyes in the back of your head!

Sorry to be pedantic

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

fighterman wrote: »

now I'm paranoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 molequidgallus

i already said there is never a time when i would ever want or need the gardai thats just stating the facts you might not like them but that your problem im over forty have never needed them never been caught as you put it and never been in court. but i could give you a list of things about the gardai which i could list that have happened to me first hand and stories told to me by reliable people i trust, that would show the gardai up for what they truly are and most people who are not gardai or not married or related to one would sit thinking yes what a bunch of overpaid arrogant muppets

Here Here end a eknny:cool:

They are muppets, I'm currently getting the book thrown at me by a copper from whitehall garda station. For running an amber light he is now trying to do me for Allegedly driving under the influence of cannabis. His detective skills failed to observe enough for a spliff flying out the window as i ran the amber light. Its a farcical charge that will probably cost me my licence & there is nothing I can do about it as far as solicitors have told me. They deserve what they get. Falsely accusing me because he could get a smell in the car and no evidence is outrageous and now I'm going to loose my licence because his powers of observation failed him. Its outrageous, they only serve and protect their own & that shower of b@stards above their little blue circle in the golden circle.:mad:

They are muppets, I'm currently getting the book thrown at me by a copper from whitehall garda station. For running an amber light he is now trying to do me for Allegedly driving under the influence of cannabis. His detective skills failed to observe enough for a spliff flying out the window as i ran the amber light. Its a farcical charge that will probably cost me my licence & there is nothing I can do about it as far as solicitors have told me. They deserve what they get. Falsely accusing me because he could get a smell in the car and no evidence is outrageous and now I'm going to loose my licence because his powers of observation failed him. Its outrageous, they only serve and protect their own & that shower of b@stards above their little blue circle in the golden circle.:mad:

Oh right
    So firstly he was right you were driving under the influence but you threw the spliff out the window before you were pulled over so he doesn't have evidence?
    Mmmmm

How is that falsely accusing you?
    You did it, you admit doing it, you destroyed the evidence but you still committed the crime
    Not only is driving under the influence illegal but also, in case you hadn't noticed, failure to stop at an amber light when you have time & space to stop safely is also illegal!

Funny how most Garda bashers are actually criminals :rolleyes:
    And make no mistake, if you are convicted that makes you a criminal!!!!!!!!!!

(As a side note i didn't think you'd lose your licence for a first offence, have a few points already do you?)

just as I thought, I rest my case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 torrentgallus

I am a re-reg. look at me go.

• Advertisement

AS I said enough for a spliff out the window!! Not A spliff, enough for one!! There is a difference, one is rolled, smoking or ready to be smoked!!
    The other isn't rolled or ready to be smoked!!
    Yes I got 2 points for running the amber light so technically when it comes to court i will have 2 points. And I'm looking at a farcical ban!!

did you re-register after a ban?
    naughty

reported

Advertisement