Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Fattes wrote: »
    And so it starts, 70cm forecast for my home resort this week :) October and November snow is always exciting but no indication of anything but still nice to see.

Yup. Nice dumping of snow for west Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

cormee wrote: »
    Horrible experience if you aren't familiar with the slope you're on. I got caught in a white-out in Les Menuires once, it's very disorientating, I literally did not know whether I was going up, down, left or right, when I was moving - there's nothing you can use for a visual frame of reference.

Cool video though, yeah!

The mention of white out brought back this memory for me. Sept last year in Hintertux. The photo is from the middle station. If you squint really hard you'll make out the roof gondola station that takes you to the top a further 600m up. Now imaging coming down from the top on my board. Lucky I knew where I was going. ah good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Something to think about before you book for the season!!

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9269#.VEaMwSifOS0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

There's a lot of resorts I've still to visit so. Better get saving for the long haul ones haha

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

[skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9269#.VEaMwSifOS0[/url]

and I thought I was doing well! good to see engelberg makes the lists, well worthy.
    flaine, argentiere and la grave would be high on my list. have you ever skied Pontresina, sounds interesing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Only been to two, Trebble Cone in NZ and St Anton, where I'm off to again in Jan.

Lot of skiing still to do!

and I thought I was doing well! good to see engelberg makes the lists, well worthy.
    flaine, argentiere and la grave would be high on my list. have you ever skied Pontresina, sounds interesing.

Probably done about 30-34 of them, Ponteresina, is on the radar, might get down there this season now that I have less races and more me time

And so it starts!! Snow in the village and right the way to the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Les Arcs also got a dusting.

Yeah baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

La Grave has always intrigued me, would love to try it one day.

Great video about it: http://vimeo.com/15315278

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    La Grave has always intrigued me, would love to try it one day.

Great video about it: http://vimeo.com/15315278

Do it soon, the lift was built by an engineer who funded it himself, it is currently in financial trouble and may not be replaced when it's service life is up!!! I enjoyed it, but not really my cup of tea. It is a frightening place

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Do it soon, the lift was built by an engineer who funded it himself, it is currently in financial trouble and may not be replaced when it's service life is up!!! I enjoyed it, but not really my cup of tea. It is a frightening place

in my heart I know i'm not up to it, so i'll prob stay away to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

And so it starts!! Snow in the village and right the way to the top!

is that Engleberg Fattes?

sallymomo wrote: »
    is that Engleberg Fattes?

Yep early season snow, the valley will probably be green again this time next week.

The pic is one a friend sent me from Hintertux this am, apparently road our of tux closed due to avalanche risk!!

Yep early season snow, the valley will probably be green again this time next week.

The pic is one a friend sent me from Hintertux this am, apparently road our of tux closed due to avalanche risk!!

Yea I heard this morning that hintertux was closed. 80cm at the top. Is that photo from the village below?

Yea I heard this morning that hintertux was closed. 80cm at the top. Is that photo from the village below?

Photo was taken by Alex Leaf, he runs World Class skiing, its at village level 1,500 meters so still another 1,500 meters to the top of the lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

For those with the ski hol countdown - this app looks pretty good:
    http://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/news-previews/snowbound-free-snowboard-holiday-app.html

I'm on Android though, doesn't look like they support it

stevire wrote: »
    For those with the ski hol countdown - this app looks pretty good:
    http://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/news-previews/snowbound-free-snowboard-holiday-app.html

I'm on Android though, doesn't look like they support it

Had that on my iPhone last year but ditched it as it only showed one trip. Then I gave away the phone. Android now.

A nice inversion in the valley today

A nice inversion in the valley today

Nice photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Many folk here been to the Freestyle Fridays at the Ski Club? I'm looking at you Fattes!

Anyhoo, was in the snowpark in Les Deux Alpes a handful of times last year and wouldn't mind improving, how to land properly, try my hand on rails, before heading back in March. It says a helmet is required, just wondering would a bike helmet suffice, it has good back of the head protection.

The old thread on this says the features can be taken out by folk at other times too, is this still the case? Thanks!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68116934

fobster wrote: »
    Many folk here been to the Freestyle Fridays at the Ski Club? I'm looking at you Fattes!

Anyhoo, was in the snowpark in Les Deux Alpes a handful of times last year and wouldn't mind improving, how to land properly, try my hand on rails, before heading back in March. It says a helmet is required, just wondering would a bike helmet suffice, it has good back of the head protection.

The old thread on this says the features can be taken out by folk at other times too, is this still the case? Thanks!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68116934

Fobster how can I help :) Considering I was the one that established it 4 score and 20 year ago yep! Although these days sightings of me are rare :) Old age and to much saving the body for snow!

Friday nights will be between 10-45 people depending on the time of they year and weather!, Its a mix from ages 10-late twenties (Excluding me who is a tad older) Boarders and skiers about 50/50 split or close enough to that.

The only other nights you will see features is some Sunday evening after 18:00 and the odd college night on Tue. But with the newer box and rail that is rarer these days, as most people just come up on the Friday for the freestyle fix.

As for the Helmet, yep you need one and Ideally a ski one, if you don't have one I have a spare, just the impact dynamics are totally different between a bike landing and a ski/board landing! Drop me a PM and I can arrange to leave the spare somewhere for you to collect, I dont need it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Watched McConkey on Netflix last night.
    worth looking up :)

McKonkey, is a legend and anyone who skis has a lot to thank him for, his segment in "in Deep" & "Claim" are beyond words!

Had a productive race day today in the UK ! 1st place is always nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Glad I caught mcconkey because before I saw it I thought he'd got caught in a situation where he had to keep pushing the boat out just to get paid, which made me sad. In reality he just ****ing loved the stoke.

The ordinary skier and few words are good biopics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

a148pro wrote: »
    Glad I caught mcconkey because before I saw it I thought he'd got caught in a situation where he had to keep pushing the boat out just to get paid, which made me sad. In reality he just ****ing loved the stoke.

The ordinary skier and few words are good biopics too.

Also gnar really catches the spirit of mcconkey, great laugh

Not 1, not 2, but 3 big storms due in the next 8 days fingers crossed

http://wepowder.com/weblog/5411/PA-%231-Up-to-five-meters-of-snow%3F

Finally have a trip booked after 2 months of missed deals, numerous resort/hotel options, dates not suiting and people being indecisive. It's been tense haha.

Anyway, we had decided on Morzine and we were just waiting for somebody to confirm if he could go. With all the waiting they sold out so went back to square one. Silver lining though as we ended up DIY'ing it, same airport, same hotel and looking like it will come in €70 cheaper than the tour op.
    Only 3 of us this year, numbers are dwindling each year. Looking forward to it now, never been to Morzine or the Portes Du Soleil area.
    Just need to sort out transfers but there seems to be lots of options.

jvan wrote: »
    Finally have a trip booked after 2 months of missed deals, numerous resort/hotel options, dates not suiting and people being indecisive. It's been tense haha.

Anyway, we had decided on Morzine and we were just waiting for somebody to confirm if he could go. With all the waiting they sold out so went back to square one. Silver lining though as we ended up DIY'ing it, same airport, same hotel and looking like it will come in €70 cheaper than the tour op.
    Only 3 of us this year, numbers are dwindling each year. Looking forward to it now, never been to Morzine or the Portes Du Soleil area.
    Just need to sort out transfers but there seems to be lots of options.

Good job. It does get harder each year. When I started going it was a group of 8 or more all booked through the same operator. Now I go with 2 friends from 2 other countries which takes a lot of organising. Picking a date is easy. Flights/transfers/hotel that's the tricky part.

• Advertisement

Good job. It does get harder each year. When I started going it was a group of 8 or more all booked through the same operator. Now I go with 2 friends from 2 other countries which takes a lot of organising. Picking a date is easy. Flights/transfers/hotel that's the tricky part.

Makes mine sound like a walk in the park. Thing I find is that everybody 'wants' to go, but when it comes to getting a confirmation from them they can't commit. I don't hold it against them, at the end of the day everybodies circumstances are different but it can be frustrating when trying to organise a trip away.

Advertisement