Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Ski

• 29-09-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We are thinking of going skiing (2 adults and 1 child) this Christmas, and just putting a shout out to see if anyone here has done same and has some recommendations.
    Experienced skiers, and looking for maybe catered chalet, partying not important
    Thanks as always

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Sorry, no chalet recommendation, but I would shout out for a Christmas ski holiday. It's magical, without all the stress that I let myself get sucked in to here, shopping, menu planning (potatoes at least 4 ways, naturally:rolleyes:), cooking, etc.

Have skied for Christmas several times - but I'm a creature of habit and always go to the same hotel. http://www.gamsleiten.net/en/hotel.html

The celebration is really only one day. The pistes close early (about 3) Christmas Eve and everyone gathers in the hotel for a Christmas banquet about 6, there's carols etc and the candles on the Christmas Tree are lit. Santa arrives on a sleigh before dinner with presents for the children.

I would guess most other hotels would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Stanford Chalets in Megeve and Hotel Chalet d’Antoine Megeve are both excellent, not the cheapest resort in the world but a pretty place, a cheap lift pass and super scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Hey,

Also thinking of going on Xmas week. Looking online Andorra (Hotel Arsinal) is great price but will there be enough Snow for skiing at that time? Would we better off going for Austria?

It's only myself and wife and we've never been skiing before so it's not like we need the best of the best but we're both looking forward to it.

All advise welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

G2DG wrote: »
    Hey,

Also thinking of going on Xmas week. Looking online Andorra (Hotel Arsinal) is great price but will there be enough Snow for skiing at that time? Would we better off going for Austria?

It's only myself and wife and we've never been skiing before so it's not like we need the best of the best but we're both looking forward to it.

All advise welcome.

Theres always a bit of a risk, Austria barely had any snow for xmas last year going by reports, in fact most of Europe was a bit bare. Obviously the higher up places would be more snow sure but i dunno how nice they are for a christmassy feel.

Em this winter is an El Nino year isnt it, is that supposed to be good for europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Thanks all for the input ;)
    I'm still looking at options, but Snow, or poss lack of is putting me off. Megeve looks nice, but again snow seems a gamble at Christmas.
    Really fancy it, but more research to do, and time running out.
    Any further thoughts welcome ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

stackerman wrote: »
    snow seems a gamble at Christmas.

The Kithzbul, tourist board until 1995, refused to spend money on advertising the resort, for Christmas as they couldn't guarantee snow!!!

The more snow sure options are below, but even they are not snow sure!!

Obergurgal, Solden, val thorens, Saas Fee, Zermatt

Advertisement