Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Such an epic, epic game. I keep finding myself stopping and looking around at the share scale of whats going on before bulets and my screen going red brings me to reality (gaming reality anyway). Like when I was on Palaven's Moon, looking at Palaven in the background being attacked and then turning to see a reaper right beside me, something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Grendels wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to use voice commands in ME3? I've tried calibrating the Kinect, but the game hasn't responded to any voice commands so far, and the microphone icon doesn't show up in the game. Does the game need to be set up in some special way for this to work?
    Go to the narrative options in the menu and you have to actually turn it on.

It works really well, way better than the demo. You sound like a total nob saying "ashley - concussive shot" but you get over it. You dont need to shout or anything just speak in your normal voice. I still use buttons for shep powers but now that I have free control over my squadmates its like they are an extension of my powers now. I have an adept class but at any time I know I can use a concussive shot and the likes at will and with no slow down of the radial menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Grendels

Thanks, hightower1! It is pretty responsive - makes for an immersive experience.

Anyone know how to check the achievements from the Normandy. You could check them in ME 2 in the captains cabin but can't find it in ME 3.
    And the fish feeder is 25 grand!! Bring back Chambers! I also upgraded the M8 to level 5 and can't upgrade any more. Are the next 5 levels done by finding 5 more M8's in the field?

AH FFS!!! I googled 'Mass Effect 3 wallpaper' to give my PS3 a new background only to see a pic of Tali without her mask!!! I don't know if it is fan art or the real thing but in case it is real, avoid looking for ME 3 images. Ball sack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

man, i'm 17+ hours in and only at tuchanka now!

Actually i would be close to you on hours played but i restarted because i didnt wanna be a soldier for the 3rd time in the ME series so i spacebared alot of conversations on the second play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Finished it last night after just over 26 hours of play and really loved game/series up till last 15 minutes,
    from when you when you are heading onto the Citadel, to the talking with Illusive Man, to the I have to say horrible choice of 3 endings in my case. I get that you are making him a legend but I was just expecting something different.
    I know there is a perfect ending with Shepard still alive but after watching it online, it still didn't do it for me! Don't know guess I was expecting something different

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Good game, terrible ending strewn with **** choices, lack of imagination basic flaws in logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So it begins.

My main problems with the ending:
    - A game that has been driven by characters, races, civilisations and difficult choices tries to shoe-horn some weird philosophical decision into the final moments.
    - The crucible made no sense whatsoever, it ended up just being a weird magic thing that could do pretty much anything, or something. What?
    - Despite it supposedly counting as winning (we beat the reapers) you don't really feel like it.
    - The ending was really abrupt, with a sudden change of pace and tone that came out of no where, dumping new concepts on you and then the credits roll.
    - It feels a bit like all the decisions you made along the way meant nothing in the end.
    - We don't get any sort of epilogue showing what happened the world or the characters we knew, except one nonsensical scene with the Normandy crashing somewhere. Why was it racing along ahead of an explosion through a relay instead of in a fleet fight with Reaper capital ships? Why were the team members that were with me when Harbinger shot us suddenly on the ship some how?
    - The synthetic Reapers have to kill all organics because if they don't then we run the risk of synthetics killing the organics? THAT's the over arching plot here? Even though EDI has shown she can coexist with the Normandy crew? Even though in some games the Geth and Quarians can become allies?

My biggest problem, though, is that it didn't need to be this way. It would have been so, so easy to make this much better.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    AH FFS!!! I googled 'Mass Effect 3 wallpaper' to give my PS3 a new background only to see a pic of Tali without her mask!!! I don't know if it is fan art or the real thing but in case it is real, avoid looking for ME 3 images. Ball sack!

It's fan art. There is a screen capture of what she supposedly looks like without the mask out there, but it's not the one you found. The in-game one is actually a photoshopped stock image and a lot of people were complaining about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, so think I'll do an about-turn, and pick up this game afterall. No point leaving a story unfinished if I enjoyed the first two parts. Plus I want to continue my courtship of Tali :P so I think I'll unsubscribe from this thread lest I read things I don't want to know.

*presses the big red button*

Zillah wrote: »
    sheehy83 wrote: »

It's fan art. There is a screen capture of what she supposedly looks like without the mask out there, but it's not the one you found. The in-game one is actually a photoshopped stock image and a lot of people were complaining about it.

Ah thanks for clearing that up man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I don't normally ever play multiplayer, but I've read you need to in this to up your readiness rating in the single player? That doesn't make me happy. Enjoying the game otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

danthefan wrote: »
    I don't normally ever play multiplayer, but I've read you need to in this to up your readiness rating in the single player? That doesn't make me happy. Enjoying the game otherwise.

Ditto but the MP is decent enough.

The one game I played felt more like an extension of single player, it was like Horde mode, but the context is that you're clearly out Cerberus agents. I'm not happy about having to do it, but I got 4% extra readiness from one game, so hopefully it'll fill up fast. Annoying though, as I have a strength of 6,000 or so, but only 3400 is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

The decisions in this game feel like they have so much weight. The Rachni, the Collector Base... They seemed like simple decisions compared to the proposition i just got from the Dalatrass. It really feels like you've got your back to the wall, and you might have to choose paths you normally never would.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

This game really makes Garrus shine as a character, his *moment* in the citadel shooting cans on the roof was one of the best cutscenes in the game. Including awesome joke by Garrus for the fans of the series at shepherds expense.

If I have any complaint so far its:
    none of the mass effect 2 characters join the normandy from what i've seen so far. Sure Garrus returns but he's been around since 1 and I am just at meeting Talia so she might join too. But none of the ones introduced in 2 joined. Which forces my hand to bring Garrus on every mission cause he's the only one apart from me that knows any of them and gets all the good lines from it (cracking jokes at both Jack's and Grunts expense)

And one more spoiler:
    by the way with the exception of mordin and thane I understand that all the ME2 characters you cross in side missions can either live or die depending on their loyalty from that game and not this game. which kind of sucks cause naturally I think everyone probably finished all their missions in mass effect 2 before going into this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Started it last night, played through the first mission proper
    raiding the Cerberus base to nick their Reaper tech
    and went through a couple of multi-player rounds.

Kinda disappointed with how the story has started. I spent the whole of the second game putting together this elite band of kick-ass mercenaries, commandos, agents, spies and psychos
    and now when they're most needed they've all ****ed off without any explanation as to why. It was only an hour into the game before it's revealed that events taking place now are now six months after the end of 2. When I got back aboard the Normandy I expected them all to be there, only for them to be replaced by a meat-head Mexican. So now there's this whole "we're putting the band back together" feel about everything.

Multiplayer is surprisingly decent, if clunky and I don't think it's ever going to challenge the the likes of GoW's Horde mode or Black Ops Zombies for wave-based multi-player thrills. Still, it's a lot better than I expected it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kinda disappointed with how the story has started. I spent the whole of the second game putting together this elite band of kick-ass mercenaries, commandos, agents, spies and psychos
    and now when they're most needed they've all ****ed off without any explanation as to why. It was only an hour into the game before it's revealed that events taking place now are now six months after the end of 2. When I got back aboard the Normandy I expected them all to be there, only for them to be replaced by a meat-head Mexican. So now there's this whole "we're putting the band back together" feel about everything.

Yeah its the downside to dlc and expanded universe in other media, quite a bit of stuff went down between the vanilla me2 and me3.

Kotaku or someone did a guide on what one should read/play to be best prepared for ME3.

personnally though I didnt get the dlc or read any of the books or the iphone apps or anything and I must admit for the most part Bioware have done a well enough job not losing me. They get around details like the shadow broker without bother and continue on so it all seems to work fine.

except on the point of Arrival (the DLC that bridges 2 and 3)

they really spend no time at all on the events of arrival but there may be a codex entry on it somewhere.

And I guess that's sort of where you might be a bit lost too.

I kind of cheated and had read a wiki on arrival.

On the issue of DLC
    Its strange that if you start a completely new shepherd events in the main me/me2 games are generated for you (you destroyed the collector base, you freed the rachi queen or not etc) but any DLC content is acted as if you were never involved in them. So you didnt help overthrow the shadow broker or shut down project overlord etc. The only one I am fuzzy on is Arrival, I'm not sure if the game is working from the idea that my shepherd was involved or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not sure if I should trade metal gear for this :mad: grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so whats yer verdict on the game? still pissed over the day 1 dlc :mad: but might try to get around to playing it over the next few weeks if its good

• Advertisement

so whats yer verdict on the game? still pissed over the day 1 dlc :mad: but might try to get around to playing it over the next few weeks if its good

Absolutely fantastic until the last ten minutes. Alt/F4 just before the final scene and pretend that is where the story ended.

I'm annoyed about the DLC, but mainly because, like Zaeed in ME2, there's no real development with the character. You get a few cut scenes but you can't really talk to him later on, and the character is ripe for exploration.

What is annoying is that soundtrack is a 691MB zip file of .wav files.

I'm loving this game, but I'm avoiding the main storyline as much as possible for now. There's something surreal about trying to set Joker up with a robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I bought this game yesterday I really want to play it but want to tidy up my ME2 saves first. How does it play if you don't import saves?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

In Mass Effect 2 there were missions and assignements. How can I tell if I am on a Main Mission or Side Mission?

Notorioux wrote: »
    In Mass Effect 2 there were missions and assignements. How can I tell if I am on a Main Mission or Side Mission?

the mission will say priority before the mordin name. Same goes for dlc missions, well it does for from ashes anyway.

Edit: I meant Mission name, not Mordin name. Jaysus, I have mass effect on the brain!!

How many romances can you have? Everyone seems to be hitting on me. I've got liara from ME1, Miranda from 2, and I just told Kaidan yes, because he was first to ask.. Hoping for a Jersey Shore-esque throwdown on the Normandy.

Healium wrote: »
    How many romances can you have? Everyone seems to be hitting on me. I've got liara from ME1, Miranda from 2, and I just told Kaidan yes, because he was first to ask.. Hoping for a Jersey Shore-esque throwdown on the Normandy.

I dunno, as I haven't done much with it (Ash has my heart and my ME2 'romance' was Shep staring at a picture of her!) but on an ME2 playthrough, I had 3 people at the right stage, and I got nothing. They must have gotten on (or indeed off!) without me :)

Ah, you can only have one. Pick somebody, and everyone else's dialogue changes. Liara just had a go at me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Basically you can't get it wrong, you can have different outcomes but they will reflect your in game persona from all 3 amazingly well.

:eek:

Losing Earth is getting in wrong!*

*I don't know if you can or not as I have not finished the game!

I agree with you post, it's great that you can have so many outcomes as a result of a decision you made in ME 1.

Tis pretty cool if you think about it.

Advertisement