Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I don't want the course I was offered...Help???

• 29-08-2013 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Okay lads so heres my story: I was offered my third choice course in college yet the one I really want is my fourth choice ( which I wasnt offered). Is there anyway I could change into my fourth choice course without taking a year out???? I just don't want to be stuck in a course I don't want....

Comments

Seaic wrote: »
    Okay lads so heres my story: I was offered my third choice course in college yet the one I really want is my fourth choice ( which I wasnt offered). Is there anyway I could change into my fourth choice course without taking a year out???? I just don't want to be stuck in a course I don't want....

Unfortunately not. The only way that could happen is if your course appears on the Vacant Places list on the CAO website. This is why listing the courses in Order of Preference was so important back in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

Unfortunately not. The only way that could happen is if your course appears on the Vacant Places list on the CAO website. This is why listing the courses in Order of Preference was so important back in June.

Yes but the irony is I didn't ever really want my third choice my mother made me put it down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Yes but the irony is I didn't ever really want my third choice my mother made me put it down

Please never admit to that in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

There'll be no come back there I'm afraid OP, unless the course shows up on the clearing list all places will have been offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

fewtins wrote: »
    There'll be no come back there I'm afraid OP, unless the course shows up on the clearing list all places will have been offered.
    The clearing list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Unless it comes up on the CAO vacant places list, I'm afraid you're out of luck! If you really don't want what you were offered, it'll be either take a year out and hope you have the points next year, or repeat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

The clearing list?

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=aboutVPL Click "Available course places"

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

If you don't want the course you were offered -
    you will Not get an offer of a place lower down on your CAO form (too late but it shows the importance of filling out the form in the order of your preference)
    You may get an offer of a higher one
    However your best bet is to look at Available/Vacant places to see if there is a course which you would like to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Please never admit to that in public.
    Actually, please do, Seaic.

I'm not being mean, I mean it.

Please come back to this forum next year when I'm ranting about putting courses down in Order of Preference, and not according to what the guidance counsellor or your mother wants, and not according to what points you *think* you might get, and not according to what college your friends are going to, but genuinely. in. the. order. you. would. like. to. be. offered. them.

When they're all rolling their eyes and saying "Randy's off again!", please come back and tell your story!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I strongly suspect the mammy fills out many people's CAO forms, as was the case in my day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 stommy

if i do first year in outdoor education and leisure in GMIT L7 can i transfer to first year in strentgh and conditioning L7 in LIT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Your best bet is to ask LIT.

Advertisement