Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connecting Laptop to TV

Options
  • 20-09-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

I need to connect my laptop to my TV set.

My laptop has only VGA output.

My TV has only HDMI ports, and Component.

I need to transmit Video (high res as possible) and sound.

Is it possible to Get

A VGA to Component
    3.5mm Audio to the Red/White that go with component.

Or:

A VGA/3.5 in one cable converted to HDMI.

I think those two above are my only options, but has anyone got cables that actually worked? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

This should handle the video end though I'm not too sure about what resolutions you could use. Component is capable of 720p and 1080i but can your laptop output those resolutions is the question.

There are VGA > HDMI converters but they aren't cheap !! Don't buy the cheap ones available on eBay, they're fakes and don't work.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The audio is the least of your problems, you can buy a 3.5mm jack to RCA (phono) red and black plugs in any shop selling AV accessories, Maplins or PC World will have them. You'll need this cable whether you use HDMI or component on the TV because the VGA port on the PC doesn't output audio.

CC399-12_LR.jpg

The only variable is the length, 1.5m is the standard but you can buy longer if you look. Don't pay stupid money for gold plated cables if it's only PC sound, pay about 12 euros and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

12 euro ?!! You should get these for under a fiver in most stockists. Online they are about 2 euro including postage from this company.

Ken

Advertisement