Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

JHet wrote: »
    So out of the box this is basically no use if you want it to transcode media to different devices around the house in 720/1080p but perfectly usuable as a nas to play media off devices that can transcode natively, or as a storage/backup solution of course ;)

It will transcode fine. I have no problem playing 720p DVD rips to the TV, while streaming music to my phone. I also run a software PBX and home automation software from the same box.i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

positron wrote: »
    My bad. I think he actually said 12 in Liffey Valley, not Tallaght (I mix up these two very often enough :o).

Liffey Valley is a bit out of my way, I think I will let this pass. If anyone want to send their 2GB module to a good home, please PM me. :pac:

I have a 2GB ECC module I would be happy to pass on. PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

Elara list the 11th as the date for being back in stock, hopefully they will as would like to order locally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

says 27th now

Hyzepher wrote: »
    says 27th now

Damn... Hard to know what to do, currently using a Q8300 with GTX 560 as a DVBlink tv / Plex server but current case has no space for additional HDDs bar one drive and runs a bit hot so this would be ideal for seperating the NAS / TV Tuner server functions for nearly the same price as a new case decent new case but am worried about the the CPU will handle HD streams from DVBLink as I have 6 Tuners (3 x DVB-T / 3 DVB-S2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Damn... Hard to know what to do, currently using a Q8300 with GTX 560 as a DVBlink tv / Plex server but current case has no space for additional HDDs bar one drive and runs a bit hot so this would be ideal for seperating the NAS / TV Tuner server functions for nearly the same price as a new case decent new case but am worried about the the CPU will handle HD streams from DVBLink as I have 6 Tuners (3 x DVB-T / 3 DVB-S2).

How is it hard to know what to do when the device is €130??? :)

As it's a server it's plenty fast for I/O. Someone should be able to post benchmarks - I would, but unRAID isn't known for it's write performance (I'm getting ~35 MB/s over Gigabit Ethernet. Should be at around double that on a standard setup. The SATA bus should be the bottleneck rather than Ethernet.

I would only be concerned if you were transcoding multiple streams as the processor isn't really up to the job, but if you're just using it for storage it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

gerryk wrote: »
    I have a 2GB ECC module I would be happy to pass on. PM me for details.

Thanks a million. I'll PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Any one found good deal on the 16GB (2x8GB) Dimms for the N54L?
    I got mine today, and with 2GB I can't even install ESXi as it needs 1.9GB and I've only 1.87 :(

I saw that both CMV16GX3M2A & KVR1333D3E9SK2 are recommended but are both expensive (worth the price I'm sure).

Also,in Currys/Pc world i see that each Integral 8GB is about 50 Pound Stering in the UK (as opposed to 13.99 for the 4GB

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Any one on Dublin South side has the 2GB ram free?
    I'd like to set up ESXi 5.1 and make sure that it works on my N54L before I buy 16GB.
    If it's not great I'll get 8GB in Pc World and will install physical Windows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

arikv wrote: »
    Any one on Dublin South side has the 2GB ram free?
    I'd like to set up ESXi 5.1 and make sure that it works on my N54L before I buy 16GB.
    If it's not great I'll get 8GB in Pc World and will install physical Windows.

The specs state that the max ram is 8GB. Has anyone gotten it to read more that that? I'd of thought it was a motherboard limitation if something like that is stated.

• Advertisement

The specs state that the max ram is 8GB. Has anyone gotten it to read more that that? I'd of thought it was a motherboard limitation if something like that is stated.

There is a list of modules known to work over on the N40L wikia page

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Memory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no, it's doable. :)

https://www.google.ie/search?q=N54L&oq=N54L&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=N54L+16gb

quite often, these things are specced out before bigger sticks are available, so they are only tested with up to a certain amount.

I have a HP ML110 G6 and that stated on the specs that it would only do 8gb, but was happy enough with 16gb.

my new challenge is an ML150 G6 with 12 DIMM slots that says the max it will take is 12x 4gb for a max of 48gb, so we might have to see if we can do better. :v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I am almost sure I have 16Gb of ram in mine. Its not been on of late but I'm fairly sure I picked some ram up off crucial that worked fine with it.

stimpson wrote: »
    How is it hard to know what to do when the device is €130??? :)

As it's a server it's plenty fast for I/O. Someone should be able to post benchmarks - I would, but unRAID isn't known for it's write performance (I'm getting ~35 MB/s over Gigabit Ethernet. Should be at around double that on a standard setup. The SATA bus should be the bottleneck rather than Ethernet.

I would only be concerned if you were transcoding multiple streams as the processor isn't really up to the job, but if you're just using it for storage it's perfect.

Ordered one on Misco.ie which has them in stock for the same price as going via server plus. Damn bargain alerts...

Ordered one on Misco.ie which has them in stock for the same price as going via server plus. Damn bargain alerts...

Yay! Welcome to the club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

stimpson wrote: »
    Yay! Welcome to the club.

Mines just in and next to me here at my desk. Can't wait to get it home and set up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I've 16 gigs of Crucial in my 54, no problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Lads,

Recently bought the 3TB of this and I was wondering what anyone here might have to say about opening it up and sticking the drive into my microserver?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The HPG7 N54L - AMD Turion with a 250GB drive is ~ €91 after cashback, this thread is so long i don't know if it has been posted here already. Thought it was worth pointing out.

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Allyall wrote: »
    The HPG7 N54L - AMD Turion with a 250GB drive is ~ €91 after cashback, this thread is so long i don't know if it has been posted here already. Thought it was worth pointing out.

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp

The link shows price as £160 ex VAT = £192 with 20% VAT with £100 cashback that's still £92 (~€110) not including shipping.

Am I missing something?

I think the misco.ie price is slightly better at €103.23 (after cashback)

Don't know if I can resist buying one of these much longer.

The price from servers direct seems to be going down everyday.

fran426ft wrote: »
    The link shows price as £160 ex VAT = £192 with 20% VAT with £100 cashback that's still £92 (~€110) not including shipping.

Am I missing something?

I think the misco.ie price is slightly better at €103.23 (after cashback)

Don't know if I can resist buying one of these much longer.

Yeah, i hadn't noticed/paid attention to the ex Vat..

I cannot stand Misco. Wild horses beating me with machine guns couldn't push me with a car into buying from them.
    HAYTE is an understatement for my disdain of them.

What about buying it from Amazon for £153.64 (€181)
    and emailing promotions@out-bound.co.uk with your claim form completed, and proof of purchase, to get the cashback?

+£11 shipping. That works out at €81, or ~€94 if you want to include the shipping as part of the price.

Not sure they would be a recognized HP Partner

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Not sure they would be a recognized HP Partner

Amazon are, but would that seller be counted as Amazon?

HP Online Partners (UK)

Yeah, i hadn't noticed/paid attention to the ex Vat..

I cannot stand Misco. Wild horses beating me with machine guns couldn't push me with a car into buying from them.
    HAYTE is an understatement for my disdain of them.

and emailing promotions@out-bound.co.uk with your claim form completed, and proof of purchase, to get the cashback?

+£11 shipping. That works out at €81, or ~€94 if you want to include the shipping as part of the price.
    In order to get the cash back you have to buy from an authorised seller and I don't think amazon are. I got my server from servers plus in the UK. Used the discount code which you will find a couple of posts back for free UK delivery along with parcel motel and the total will come to €102ish after cash back. Absolutely no hassle doing it this was and quick delivery. Also read a few complaints on hukd about severs direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

just bought two of these. will use them for my college project.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

What RAID setups does the BIOS Support.

Looking at putting on Vsphere and not sure how to go about the RAID setup

If anyone has a spare stick of Ram for it i would be most grateful.

johnybean wrote: »
    In order to get the cash back you have to buy from an authorised seller and I don't think amazon are. I got my server from servers plus in the UK. Used the discount code which you will find a couple of posts back for free UK delivery along with parcel motel and the total will come to €102ish after cash back. Absolutely no hassle doing it this was and quick delivery. Also read a few complaints on hukd about severs direct.

The post above yours, Amazon are an authorised seller.

But i don't know what way it works for the seller using amazon as a platform.

I doubt they could offer it, but if they could also, using amazon, then it is a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement

The post above yours, Amazon are an authorised seller.

But i don't know what way it works for the seller using amazon as a platform.

I doubt they could offer it, but if they could also, using amazon, then it is a lot cheaper.

If you take the shipping into account (And why wouldn't you) then it works out €8 cheaper then servers+. The £154 server that you linked to is being sold by Bora Computers in Germany so I dont know if that will effect your ability to claim cash back.
    At the moment
    Serversdirect are £128 + Delivery after cashback
    Servers+ are £103.95 after cash back once you use Parcel Motel and free UK delivery code MSFREENDUK
    Dabs are €131 including delivery (assuming you get the cash back, no mention of it on their website but the are mentioned on HP site as being authorised sellers)
    Elara are €109 after cash back but wont have stock in until after the offer ends (September 30th)
    Ebuyer are £159 + Delivery (I'm not 100% sure on final cost here because I had nothing but grief trying to order from them previously, so much so that I just cancelled the order)
    Insight are £259 + Delivery (Don't know what happened here because they were one of the cheapest when the offer last ran back in July)
    I cant think of any more authorised sellers (someone else may know) but as I said earlier, I can definitely recommend Servers+ as that is who I used and I had absolutely no problems with them

Advertisement