Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Prestige: Are you paying attention?

You'd imagine a film with an average of a twist per minute (approximation) would lose some of its power after a first viewing. Not so with The Prestige: it's astounding how well crafted the story is. Even lines of incidental dialogue are carefully considered in the lead up to the film's final prestige. After a few years, I was still surprised at just how many twists and turns there are - reversals upon reversals. It's a film much more effective than the book it's based on, and full of great visuals (I love the shot of Bowie just standing there after his machine appears to have failed while Serkis drags Jackman away).

A film that breaks its own rules by giving away the secret: and one of cinema's finest rug pulls as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You'd imagine a film with an average of a twist per minute (approximation) would lose some of its power after a first viewing. Not so with The Prestige: it's astounding how well crafted the story is. Even lines of incidental dialogue are carefully considered in the lead up to the film's final prestige. After a few years, I was still surprised at just how many twists and turns there are - reversals upon reversals. It's a film much more effective than the book it's based on, and full of great visuals (I love the shot of Bowie just standing there after his machine appears to have failed while Serkis drags Jackman away).

A film that breaks its own rules by giving away the secret: and one of cinema's finest rug pulls as a result.

love that movie, gets better every time i watch it. "it was the look on their faces"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I consider to be my most favourite film of all time. Unbelievable. You've hit the nail on the head there Johnny with everything you've said. Think I might go watch it either today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

I bought the thin red line blu ray in HMV yesterday. The transfer is excellent both picture and audio quality and is included in the 2 for €22. Not everybodys cup of tea but I really liked it in the cinema.

B9F1D8F06D0C49F2AC6D0A2EB8E97F55-0000336305-0002355969-00500L-E741E020FEE046D89631354972D4D5A9.jpg

Looking forward to Mallick's next movie the tree of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

The Prestige

Fantastic movie one of my favourites, one of the most intelligently put together films i have ever seen

My own addition watched lately is jacobs ladder another fantastic movie in the same vein as the prestige, i rewatched it the other night having seen it numerous times and i still pick things up in it that i had not noticed in previous viewings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Casablanca - great theme night in the Sugar Club was a nice excuse to finally sit down and watch this masterpiece in its entirety.

I'm sure anything I can say about this film has been written thousands of times before in the many decades it's taken me to catch up :P But the cinematography is gorgeous, the atmosphere engrossing, the writing razor sharp, the performances iconic.

The final "Here's looking at you kid"? Spine. Tingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The mist - one of the few recent films that could be considered a 'classic'. The Dead can dance music is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OniKen

The this week i watched terminator 1 and 2, robocop 1 and the die hard trilogy... now im watching the series 'monster' but thats anime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched the King's Speech last night. Brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How To Train Your Dragon: A lot better than i expected, good entertaining film switch on , switch the brain off kick back relax and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Watched The Priest last night. It had got some bad reviews on a few sites but I thought it wasn't bad at all. It was shortish, told it's story, no mad cheesy bits and well produced, defo didn't warrant such bad reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Fried Green Tomatoes Havent seen it since it came out back in '91 and I really enjoyed it. Little bit long winded but beautiful shot. I approve! :D

Bought Fargo in the 2 for €22 in HMV and watched it last night. Haven't watched it in quite a while. Great film and great cast, I thought William H Macy was superb.

E0DE69F39E9E4E7B8C8F2B71D953FA72-0000336305-0002359721-00500L-55B812B1B2014F6FAC5089ADFFB80434.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Just watch Hanna. Muck. Barely a story in there to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

'Just Go With It' with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. Much better than expected, there were a good few laughs in it. You'd nearly forget that Anniston is a very good comic actress but this film reminded me that she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

toodleytoo wrote: »
    'Just Go With It' with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. Much better than expected, there were a good few laughs in it. You'd nearly forget that Anniston is a very good comic actress but this film reminded me that she is.
    I thought i was going to hate it too but i ended enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

rednik wrote: »
    Bought Fargo in the 2 for €22 in HMV and watched it last night. Haven't watched it in quite a while. Great film and great cast, I thought William H Macy was superb.

E0DE69F39E9E4E7B8C8F2B71D953FA72-0000336305-0002359721-00500L-55B812B1B2014F6FAC5089ADFFB80434.jpg

i watched it last nite too , was on rte 1 around midnight , steve ( kinda funny looking ) buscemi gets all the best lines as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i watched it last nite too , was on rte 1 around midnight , steve ( kinda funny looking ) buscemi gets all the best lines as usual

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred per cent on your police work there, irishh_bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Black Snake Moan

Sammy Jackson playing blues guitar and Christina Ricci being a nymphomaniac.
    I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hannah - wafer thin story but oddly enjoyable enough. What's her name was very good in it. Direction felt quite European for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Re-watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine last night. Such a mess of a film, which is a pity cause there is a good storyline in there somewhere but covered by a film with many plotholes. The CGI is horrific, especially for a high budget film. When he takes out his claws, the CGI is brutal. The casting wasn't great. I loved Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth, but Will.I.Am as Kestrel? Almost as bad as Vinnie Jones as Juggarnaut in X3. Im not too familiar with all the XMen characters, but I often asked throughout the film if Gambit's powers included being able to defy gravity and walk on walls? It was also too packed with mutant cameos, like The Blob, Gambit, Deadpool, who deserved much more air time. It isn't a terrible film, and is watchable, but could have been much, much better!

Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. Great film with a great cast. Both Jeff Bridges and George Kennedy were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

rednik wrote: »
    Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. Great film with a great cast. Both Jeff Bridges and George Kennedy were excellent.

That film is so pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Waking Life. Extremely interesting film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Watched C.H.U.D last night, pleasantly suprised actually well worth a watch. Lots of actors that you dont know their names but you know them from loads of films.

One of my favorite 80's horror movies.

Avoid the sequel though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

5000th Post :cool:

Best thread I ever started!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

List threads are against charter. I don't know how we missed this one.

Locked.

j/k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yea that I heard, I have been watching a lot of classic 70/80`s horror and zombies movies lately. I found a nice list of the zombie films that you may have missed and I am going through that list.

Put up the list so. But, there's not too many zombie films I haven't seen. Always up for a surprise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I watched The Mist today

Had read the novella it is based on years ago but couldn't remember the ending

The ending of the film was much bleaker than I was expecting but all the better for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Due Date - I'd give it 3.5 our of 5, pretty funny movie. Downey Jr was great.
    True Grit - 4 out of 5. The little girl is excellent a wow performance. And as ever the dude abides :D
    127hrs - 3/5 Expected this to be crap but it's very good considering the subject matter it could have been too long & drawn out.
    Alien - 5 Awesome.
    Apocalypse Now 5- Amazing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement