Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

who was that standing in for Moncreif today? I seem to recognise his voice but I never caught his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Diarmaid Ferriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

beagle wrote: »
    who was that standing in for Moncreif today? I seem to recognise his voice but I never caught his name.

Dry as a cracker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

kneemos wrote: »
    Dry as a cracker.

Oh God yes!! I'd take Fionn Davenport over him any day. That just says it all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Diarmaid Ferriter.

Good to see them giving an opportunity to someone who really needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Anybody having trouble with reception in the south kildare area.. I can only assume that RTE have given up competing with NT and have invested in a signal jammer.

Turns out it was the big metal sheet I leaned against the side of the house.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Found Diarmuid Ferriter very uninspiring today. Normally like him on the radio when he is on as a guest. Didn't think he was good holding down a full programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

found your man Diarmuid boring as hell had to switch over as I was worried I'd fall asleep at the wheel listening to him bring back Mr Davenport who is a better replacement for Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Who decides on these guest presenters?? From Diarmuid Ferriter standing in for Moncrieff to CIE man standing in for George Hook at times. It's mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Who decides on these guest presenters?? From Diarmuid Ferriter standing in for Moncrieff to CIE man standing in for George Hook at times. It's mad.

I assume it was down to:
    a) Who will do it for free
    b) Who has an ego sufficient to think they can do it.

• Advertisement

Layinghen wrote: »
    Found Diarmuid Ferriter very uninspiring today. Normally like him on the radio when he is on as a guest. Didn't think he was good holding down a full programme.

Hosting a radio/tv radio show seems like a piece of piss, something any articulate and knowledgeable person could do, but when someone who hasn't got the knack is put in the chair completely disproves that. I remember listening to Eddie Hobbs filling in for George Hook once and he was similarly unimpressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eddie Hobbs?! He is barely articulate as a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Turns out it was the big metal sheet I leaned against the side of the house.. :o

Ah here! There isn't much life in Diarmuid Ferriter but I wouldn't call him a big metal sheet leaning against a wall......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Diarmaid Ferriter.

I thought he was good and I enjoyed his show:confused:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

scotchy wrote: »

He's OK, he might have grown into it a bit more by Friday. If not, who cares - he's just filling in for a week.

Fionn Davenport was filling in for Tom Dunne today, so that kept him busy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

mike65 wrote: »
    Eddie Hobbs?! He is barely articulate as a guest.

but the ego , the ego !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Is Marc Coleman gone? Best of on tonight instead of normal show.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

Who is hosting the show on newstalk now and what is wrong when he speaks? its like he keeps sneezing like Rosenstock doing Vinne Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's marc coleman. he has chronic bronchitis. has often mentioned it before but not in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't stand Marc Coleman. Never noticed any chestiness though tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

Dave! wrote: »
    Can't stand Marc Coleman. Never noticed any chestiness though tbh.

I like him myself , one of the very few conservative broadcasters on irish radio or tv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

gotta give it to newstalk.

first to let me know rob heffernan won gold just now in speed walking with actual decent coverage leading up to it.

congratulations to the guy, from coming 4th in london to this must be great for the guy.

Hear hear, well done Rob. Fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

gotta give it to newstalk.

first to let me know rob heffernan won gold just now in speed walking with actual decent coverage leading up to it.
    Will join you in giving them the kudos. Being able to listen to live coverage was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Gilroy and Molloy will have a field day... Pouring over the psychology of it..."did the 4th place at the Olympics play on your mind" etc etc ad nauseum

scotchy wrote: »

Yes, on second thoughts, I thought he was quite impressive interviewing that Jesus book guy, less exciteable and 'tabloid' in his approach than Sean would be, not feeling the need to spell out everything in block capitals. Probably he could make a decent host if he could focus on congenial subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

that Jesus book guy,

I don't suppose anyone caught this person's name, or even the name of the book?

I don't suppose anyone caught this person's name, or even the name of the book?
    Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan

I thought this sort of demystifying was pretty much old hat by now, but apparently he got ambushed by some nut on Fox, turning him into the Edward Snowden of Biblical scholarship or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 beagle

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan

I thought this sort of demystifying was pretty much old hat by now, but apparently he got ambushed by some nut on Fox, turning him into the Edward Snowden of Biblical scholarship or something.

http://www.wsbt.com/sns-viral-video-fox-news-interview-reza-aslan-html,0,681163.htmlstory

Basically makes the reporter look stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement