Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New car detailing, who's best?

• 03-09-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Got new car couple weeks ago , ( realise now I should have collected unwashed but just started looking into detailing )gave it its first polish with some Autoglym Polish and noticed 2 small rice grain size chips so got some Honda touch up which is fine ,but now I want to protect the paintwork and seen that getting a car detail done might be best,have been looking on forums and two names come up ,kingpin and spirit ,cost seems to be about €400 what should I expect for that products seem to suggest the polish is much tougher and can last for a couple of years with just regular washing ,any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

400 would include some machine correction of the paintwork...if it's brand new, it shouldn't need anything or at worst a very light one stage polish.

Applications that are durable for over a year will be more expensive that traditional waxes or sealants.

Ian in Elite Auto Clean would be another one worth contacting. Worth going to each and discussing what your expecting are and what they believe they need to do to achieve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

baz69 wrote: »
    Got new car couple weeks ago , ( realise now I should have collected unwashed but just started looking into detailing )gave it its first polish with some Autoglym Polish and noticed 2 small rice grain size chips so got some Honda touch up which is fine ,but now I want to protect the paintwork and seen that getting a car detail done might be best,have been looking on forums and two names come up ,kingpin and spirit ,cost seems to be about €400 what should I expect for that products seem to suggest the polish is much tougher and can last for a couple of years with just regular washing ,any info much appreciated

If this is a new car it certainly would not require polish at this point ? Not a lot one can do about stone chips other than using Manufacturer's touch up paint. I would recommended Aqua wax by autoglym to be used when you wash the car. It will help your car retain its shine and help protect the paintwork. Does your car require detailing after two weeks. Enjoy your new car, safe motoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Another recommendation for elite auto clean near blanch. Probably one of the more pricey establishments around but I've seen their work and can tell you they are very thorough. Even the standard car washes are superior to any others I've used in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thee is only one man in this country that would be allowed work on my car and that is Brian in Spirit Detailing

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baz69

Thank for all replys, do you think as its a new car that it's worthwhile getting the detailing done €400 is quite an amount I didn't think a new car would need such work done,or should I just get a detailer to wash degrease remove the Autoglym polish I put on and get them to wax it ,then I have a good base ready for me to do the cleaning and waxing (polishing) myself from now on,and if so what is procedure I understand the 2 bucket wash with good shampoo but after that I am unsure what the procedure is clay bar? Etc,as you prob guessed I've never done anything more than the wash and wax with average products but as its a new car I want to get it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

im no expert but if its brand new i don't know if i'd be spending 400 on a detail... I'd at least wait till its dirty or has had some wear on it..

the frustrating thing about washing.. if that as soon as you have it done it looks great, and you can clay bar and put on protection but as soon as you hit the road it gets dirty again :(

i wash mine every couple of weeks, and am going to put some protection on soon (once i can afford to order some)

If you are into doing it yourself 400 euro would buy you everything you need and a fair bit of product.. of course not the experience of a good detailer.. but with some reading about here and advice etc you are unlikely to do any damage at least.. and you might learn to enjoy it along the way..

Cheers,
    Mick

Assuming it's a decontamination and prep for coating, and coating application...no machine polishing, its still a fair amount of work....especially if it's a coating that needs a long time to cure.
    I wouldn't expect to pay 400, but minimum half, I would expect is where you'll get quotes for.
    Spirit, I believe only charge by the day.

Yeah Brian in spirit is doing the one day for around the €250 which will leave the car with a harder coat that should last for a year or so ,which just leaves me to buy some washing products to keep in tip top condition what would you recommend I purchase ,curran if you can guide me thru what I need I will put order thru ,many thanks

baz69 wrote: »
    Yeah Brian in spirit is doing the one day for around the €250 which will leave the car with a harder coat that should last for a year or so ,which just leaves me to buy some washing products to keep in tip top condition what would you recommend I purchase ,curran if you can guide me thru what I need I will put order thru ,many thanks

Yes.
    as far as I am aware Brian is 250 for one day or 200 per day for multi day job.

Have you any idea what coating he is using so as Best advice can be given for after care products.

Depends on the coating being applied. Coatings that are durable for a year or more often have their own range of maintenance products; such as shampoo, snowfoam, quick detailer.

But other items vital to keep the finish in tip top shape are washing with the Two Bucket Method, a good quality wash mitt and drying towel. Wheel cleaner, brushes, etc

• Advertisement

Thanks at moment what I have are Autoglym shampoo conditioner,super resin polish,extra gloss protection,aqua dry syn chamois leather,microfibre drying towel and washmitt ,but don't mind putting these to one side as can use on motorbike,

Assuming that you will go for a coating such as the one Brian suggested, all would be set aside bar the mitt and microfiber drying towel; and at that, I would question the quality...if they were a few quid in Halford's or something similar, then I would probably keep them for the bike also.

I'll allow others to chime in on the quality difference of Microfiber Madness products versus other run of the mill mitts and towels...yes, they'll seem expensive but they are superb quality.

Thanks for reply curran,the mitt is there own brand sheepskin one and all the rest is autoglyms product as I say I can use these on bike,looking on forum the 2 buckets with dirt traps and quality drying towel are a must as yourself and others say the prep is everything so I want to make sure I have quality products to start with

The mitt might be OK if it's still in good condition. Their microfiber drying towel isn't a great quality, in my opinion; certainly not compared to Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I got some Microfiber Madness stuff recently:

The Incredimittmitt http://www.detailingshed.com/washing/36-microfiber-madness-incredimitt.html like the name suggests is Incredible :D Really soft & with the built in sponge it hold lots of shampoo.

The Dry Me Crazy http://www.detailingshed.com/drying-towels-microfibres/14-microfiber-madness-dry-me-crazy.html soaks a huge amount of water & I'd say it'd have no problem doing 2 cars.

I also got the Crazy Pile http://www.detailingshed.com/drying-towels-microfibres/15-microfiber-madness-crazy-pile.html for removing wax, again it's really soft & as suggested elsewhere I cut in in half so I now have two.

Yes as said they aren't the cheapest but also they aren't that much more expensive than for example the Meguiar's microfiber wash mitts & water magnet I had previously, the Microfiber Madness products are way better & they should last you for years if you look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Nobody will contradict the Dry Me Crazy towels abilities.

For me the Carpro boa microfibre is fantastic for buffing and is hard to beat price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

*Kol* wrote: »
    Nobody will contradict the Dry Me Crazy towels abilities.

For me the Carpro boa microfibre is fantastic for buffing and is hard to beat price wise.

I have a meguiars lambs will mitt that's pretty good..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I have a meguiars lambs willy mitt that's pretty good..

:eek:

:eek:

:pac::pac:

Advertisement