Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gift for husband-to-be

Options
  • 15-09-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

What kind of gift did you to give their new husbands on your wedding day? I'm trying to figure out what to get my future husband but am a bit stuck. He already has a beautiful watch, a nice hip flask, plenty of cufflinks. I suppose I want to get him something that he will have for years and something that he wouldn't tend to buy himself (i.e. something expensive or luxurious).

What kind of gifts did you give?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

Me! I'm expensive and luxurious and he was a lucky man to get me! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Do people do that? i had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Do people do that had no idea.

Maybe it's not the norm? I'm not sure. My fiance has already said he'd love to buy my wedding earrings as a gift to give me on the day so I'd obviously like to get a gift to give him in return. We're getting married just before Christmas so it's kind of gift season anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

A nice watch would be lovely, you could even get it engraved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

How about a really nice leather wallet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Viking drinking horn?

Though it would be the right idea to buy him something he'd never buy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I got married last September and I bought my husband an 18yr old Jameson Whiskey. He was delighted and his groomsmen were impressed on the morning of the wedding. He had enough watches and wallets, I thought this would be fun and a bit different :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 JimBobPlayer

Superstition - don't ever buy your partner a watch - it calls time on the relationship. Apparently. If you believe that sort of stuff!

How about a nice expensive tie pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I also bought my husband a rare vintage whiskey. He was delighted with it and it's probably not something he'll ever get again.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

One watch is never enough. The tie clip isn't a bad shout either...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

An engraved pen.

amdublin wrote: »
    An engraved pen.

I like this idea. One that comes in a holder/stand. That you'd put on your desk. For signing documents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

A ukulele! Who wouldn't want a ukulele?! Sounds like he has everything else he needs except a ukulele!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Superstition - don't ever buy your partner a watch - it calls time on the relationship. Apparently. If you believe that sort of stuff!

How about a nice expensive tie pin?

Scrap my idea so!! I always though a watch had something to do with engagements or weddings but didn't think it was negative

Google 'Barack Obama signing document'. You'll see interesting pen holder ideas. Seems they have felt lined boxes of pens.... In case one doesn't work I suppose lol!

I always thought a watch given to a girl meant a secret engagement ;)

*in the olden days I.e. pre 1990 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

If he's into out doors-y type stuff a nice compass with an engraving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭pooch90

Zebrano wrote: »

I did a photobook like that for my husband, he received it the morning of the wedding, had the photographer there for when he got it so I could see his expression :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

amdublin wrote: »
    I always thought a watch given to a girl meant a secret engagement ;)

*in the olden days I.e. pre 1990 :)

That's what I thought too. My hubby's bought me several watches over the years.

What about a pocket watch? You could get it engraved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My parents have bought each other multiple watches in their 33 years of marriage, the only bad luck they have is they keep losing or breaking them.

What about an engraved iPod?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Make it a Tag or nothing at all ;-)

I'm only posting this as I've suggested it loads to the missus so if she googles it she might end up back here!

If he drinks whiskey, what about a special bottle of Jameson, Midleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Thanks for all the suggestions. He got a posh watch for our engagement plus I got him a nice leather wallet last year. He does love a fine whiskey but we will be in a high end all inclusive resort so all the drinks are included. Not sure if the boudoir thing is for me, is it a bit tacky??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Yeah tbh I find the boudoir idea quite cringey myself.

Couple of rare cigars, if he ever smokes them? Along with a nice engraved lighter?

Or - completely random idea - an aquarium with some tropical fish! I'm not messing, I think that would be an awesome gift! It could turn into a real hobby for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Julia_Julia

If he gives you the earrings that you'd wear on the day, the nice "matching" item would be cufflinks that he can wear on the day too. These come in so many shapes and sizes (metals), almost like jewellery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I bought my fiance a vintage car, then we broke up.
    Big mistake!

Some of them are completely tacky but if your photographer knows what they are doing they can turn out really nicely.
    Tbh Secret Boudoir are so ridiculously expensive for one photo at the end of it. My wedding photographer did mine. The nicest ones turned out to be more or less head shots with a bit of cleavage so you don't need to skank it up!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A really good pair of dress shoes.

I got my then OH a pair of Barkers for his wedding gift, he still has them 15 years and one marriage breakup later.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I dont think its tacky once its done properly. What ment more to me was the fact that i would not be something she would be comfortable with but she still did it for me and that ment the world to me so maybe mot for everyone if there posting semi nakked pics on facebook all the time wont have the same meaning

• Advertisement

Absolutely, was the same with my OH. He couldn't believe I had done it. It was absolutely terrifying. I'm not one for short skirts and stuff so he was surprised and delighted. A lot of time and planning went into it and he appreciated that too. The fact I got hair and make up done professionally made a huge difference to the overall look too.

Advertisement