Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uniroyal rainsport3

• 12-03-2014 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I'm considering getting rainsport3 for my alfa 159 as I've heard they're very good in the wet.
    Currently using 205/55/16 Goodyear efficientgrip performance, which I found to be decent. Wheels spin under torque in second gear sometimes though.
    My priorities would be wet grip and really really really low cabin noise :D
    Also my wheels also support a 215/55/16 tyre but they're often much more expensive, not as common.

The uniroyals are coming up a bit cheaper than the goodyears. Would they be a step up from the goodyears or a step down? Any better tyre recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Try Hankook 4seasons. I don't know if they available in 16's as mine are 17's. I find them the best wet tyre I have ever used. (Been around for fookin years) Quiet on the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've used Uniroyal for years in various cars, never a bother in wet. Only issue I've seen is that they need a bit of extra PSI as they can feel floaty otherwise. I could still get wheel spin in a 2L BMW if I really pushed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

I got Uniroyals Rain Sport 3 just months ago and find them very good on the FRV. Grip wise they are excellent wet or dry. Noise wise are ok (71dB to 69dB of Goodyears). They are seriously good value though and I'll be getting them again for my Legacy soon. A set of 4 comes out at about 320 euros (tyres from Camskill and fitting done by a local guy). Anything else comparable with Uniroyals is at least 60 euros more per set.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have Rainsports on my Integra and I have to say I find them to be excellent in the wet. I have previously had Kumho and Falkens on the car (both of which are a very decent mid range tire), but while I used to be able to get a bit of torque steer when exiting a wet roundabout on the Kumho/Falken, with the Rainsports it doesnt budge a peep in a similar situation, even if I try!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Got RainSport 3s on my car a couple of months ago, I think they're a great tyre, especially in the wet. Night and day compared to the Nankangs I had on previously. I think they're good value for a premium tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Great tyre Uniroyal. I wouldn't even compare them to hankook's tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i've rainsports omn my jaguar s-type, 2.5l great tyre all round wet or dry, will be looking for another set when i where these out. stable as anything at 120-140kmh in the wet on the motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭legomanx51v

djimi wrote: »
    I have Rainsports on my Integra and I have to say I find them to be excellent in the wet. I have previously had Kumho and Falkens on the car (both of which are a very decent mid range tire), but while I used to be able to get a bit of torque steer when exiting a wet roundabout on the Kumho/Falken, with the Rainsports it doesnt budge a peep in a similar situation, even if I try!
    Yes. This is good! Im more interested in how they hold up in higher powered saloons driven enthusiastically. 180bhp/350NM is more than you're average 1.6dci :pac:
    Also are they comparably good in the dry? Its not a case of great in wet, and somehow terrible in dry is it??
    Just a bit sceptical because their price seems to be a bit lower than what I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Yes. This is good! Im more interested in how they hold up in higher powered saloons driven enthusiastically. 180bhp/350NM is more than you're average 1.6dci :pac:
    Also are they comparably good in the dry? Its not a case of great in wet, and somehow terrible in dry is it??
    Just a bit sceptical because their price seems to be a bit lower than what I was expecting.

Try Hankook 4seasons. I don't know if they available in 16's as mine are 17's. I find them the best wet tyre I have ever used. (Been around for fookin years) Quiet on the road too.

Car is 170bhp and driven like its late for mass regularly.

Car is 170bhp and driven like its late for mass regularly.

LOL I'm late for "mass" 4-5 days a week :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

Hey

so I have rainsport 3's on 17s on a large (ish) 200 bhp diesel estate with 4 wheel drive. really like them - quiet, very grippy, very reasonably priced.

good in the dry too, and for years I have headed to Michelin PSS or PS3's and I dont think I will the next time - will be another set of these!

t.

I like the RS3 very much as well. I got only 2 for the front at the moment as the old ones were badly worn. Still have crap Chinese tyres at the back (bought the car like that) and even though there is plenty of tread left on them I'm seriously considering getting RS3 to replace them as they are very. very noisy.

Well just got the rainsport3s fitted for 300 total. Retightened all the wheel nuts to the correct torque by hand as I always do now.
    Like the tread design haha, but I'll see how they get on once they've been gently worn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone have a link to a good price or place for the Uniroyals Rain Sports 3 or 2 mentioned above please or should I go with what I had again. My current tyres are Hankooks 215/50R 17 91W and have served me well, got about 34k out of a set of 4. Need two replaced very soon and two in a few months. Would it be a bad idea to just put on the two new tyres of a different brand first? thanks

Personally I like changing all 4 together because then I don't have to worry about mixing different brands. So I always move my front tyres to the rear when they are about half worn.
    Theres danger in having grippy front tyres and worn rears on a FWD car as the back end can slide out on heavy braking. This is harder to control and less predictable than the front tyres just not turning sharply enough.
    Though if you drive "sensibly" and don't see the contents of your boot all over the place after a drive on country roads, you're probably fine whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

I'm currently using yokohamas 225/50 R17 low decibel. Need to change all four but will have to be the front two only first. How much would four of these uniroyals set me back or are they available in this size?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b2829s16p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_17_inch_Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_R17_inch_-_225_45_17_225_45R17
    VS
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b2829s555p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_17_inch_Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_R17_inch_-_225_50_17_225_50R17

See above as a guide. Its worth looking into tyres that are slightly bigger or smaller then at the ones you have. The 225/50 ones are 33% more expensive than 225/45. Im guessing 225/45 must be a very common size and is produced in larger quantities.

Also reporting back on my experience of the rainsport3 so far.
    I used to have good year efficientgrip performance on before and the rainsport3 is equalling (maybe better?) their performance in the wet at high speed on national roads and acceleration around roundabouts :D
    Haven't had a chance to try them on a proper dry road, or around twisty backroads yet. Hopefully this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Thanks legoman ,Would changing to 225/45 r17s make any difference to ride/performance or anything else? Significantly cheaper alright

There'd be a 20mm smaller wheel diameter, meaning a car that is 10mm lower overall. If your car is already lower, this might not be good over speed bumps/rough roads. Speedo might be 5km/h off too.
    THEORETICALLY acceleration is quicker, and cornering is sharper (as the tyres' sidewalls flex less as they are shorter)
    http://www.oponeo.ie/tyre-guide/tyre-size-calculator

If all this is putting you off, just check your owners manual, If it lists 225/45/17 as a size then go for it. If not.. tread carefully ;)

My own update for rainsport3:
    Super. excellent. 500km of normal driving and they've settled in nicely. safe in the wet (standing water felt like it wasn't even there) and not compromising grip in dry. Tried a few standing starts to 100km/h yesterday... Please with how little wheelspin there was off the "line". Sidewalls ARE soft and i could feel that softness for a good while, but now I've grown used to them, and its good protection from kerbing too!
    Definitely cheaper than the efficientgrip performance I had before and definitely JUST as good IMO

• Advertisement

Got a set of these from discount tyres for the peugot 5008 back in march. Done a bit of driving since and they feel very good. Unfortunately we have had to replace two of them already, one from the missus clipping a kerb when turning after less than a week and then today we had a slow puncture and the nail/screw is too far out for it to be repairable. I'm so f**king pissed off - are these more susceptible to damage due to the lower profile/soft sidewalls mentioned above?

What size are the tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

sweetie wrote: »
    Got a set of these from discount tyres for the peugot 5008 back in march. Done a bit of driving since and they feel very good. Unfortunately we have had to replace two of them already, one from the missus clipping a kerb when turning after less than a week and then today we had a slow puncture and the nail/screw is too far out for it to be repairable. I'm so f**king pissed off - are these more susceptible to damage due to the lower profile/soft sidewalls mentioned above?

I got only the second puncture that I have had with this car after 4.5 years of owning it (the first was two weeks after I bought it!) about 10 weeks after I changed to the Uniroyals. I did hear about softer tirewalls being an issue, but to be honest I think in my case it was just dumb luck! (looked like a nail went through the tire and popped out again)

walus wrote: »
    What size are the tyres?

215-50-17 95Y XL

they've offered the replacement at cost so that's something at least. I'm just surprised after two years with the previous hankooks and never had a thing go wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Also reporting back on my experience of the rainsport3 so far.
    I used to have good year efficientgrip performance on before and the rainsport3 is equalling (maybe better?) their performance in the wet at high speed on national roads and acceleration around roundabouts :D
    Haven't had a chance to try them on a proper dry road, or around twisty backroads yet. Hopefully this weekend.

I have Goodyear efficient grips on my 159 at the moment, not as grippy as bridgestones, but they are very good in the wet, but a bit 'floaty' on dry roads.
    How are you finding the rain sports for noise? ( the bridgestones are easily the best tyre I've had on mine so far, but they are loud!)
    Lambasted wrote: »
    Thanks legoman ,Would changing to 225/45 r17s make any difference to ride/performance or anything else? Significantly cheaper alright

Mine is on 225/45/17, I've driven a 159 on 50s and tbh I didn't feel any difference, the 45s are much cheaper though.

Efficientgrips were noticeably quieter than the uniroyals on the motorway. Not hugely, but it was noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

I am looking at Rainsport 3's soon.

225/45/17

Have been quoted around Dublin:
    4*€115=€460 fitted
    + €60 alignment = €520

That seems about the same as Camskill if I had to take into account delivery, local fitting and alignment.

Is that the best price around at the moment?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Update: In case anyone is looking for similar, ended up being quoted €480 including alignment by a crowd in Blanch that are regularly recommended here.

That's good enough for me.

Advertisement