Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

That's my tour of Thailand finished with. I'm still a few days behind with the blog, but I've all the kilometers logged here. Now that I'm number one and can't go any higher, I feel it's important to put as much distance between me and second place as possible.

Now back to neglecting my swim and hopefully getting running green before 6 months of the year are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Welcome to the SBR challenge fionn_mac and straight in with a swim green too.

2 golds up on the board, well done Fazz and Zico10

Good to have Griffin and Izoard around again... missed the jokers. JB and BTH have really tried to provide levity but without interested we'd be doomed to numbers and splits and numbers and stats and numbers and splits

I'm sure everyone is noticing Dory Dory's metoeric rise up the swim column. Can she catch Fazz.. thats the question!

21 people have now bagged a target of sorts.. great stuff!

ou est Deepop and Shell to Run :confused:

train smart and race hard folks :)

I've done nothing but drink beer and eat since early April, but made the fatal error of stepping on a scales the other day - Yikes!

So, I've been shamed back into a bit of action - first run last week - required walk breaks every km:)

zico10 wrote: »
    My smash and grab attempt at the cycling number1 spot;

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=10538&v=5c

1 t-shirt & 1 pair of jocks...legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Izoard wrote: »

Don't tell that to the ladies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

zico10 wrote: »
    That's my tour of Thailand finished with. I'm still a few days behind with the blog, but I've all the kilometers logged here. Now that I'm number one and can't go any higher, I feel it's important to put as much distance between me and second place as possible.

Now back to neglecting my swim and hopefully getting running green before 6 months of the year are up.

Enjoyed reading those updates. It is something i would love to do in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Enjoyed reading those updates. It is something i would love to do in years to come.

What about climbing Everest or K2 JB? #seedplanted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

DoryDory 2nd overall!

Gwan the hoochies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ewwww :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

DoryDory 2nd overall!

Gwan the hoochies :D

Basically all you have to do is jog out to your car and back and you're ahead of me in your funny Irish rankings with your funny Irish math. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

1 run away from Run green. Finally. Only took half the year!
    Odds of making it a Gold by December... 50/50 :D

• Advertisement

It's my observation that most of you competitive lads concentrate the most on swimming and the least on running. But apparently this approach works.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    It's my observation that most of you competitive lads concentrate the most on swimming and the least on running. But apparently this approach works.

Thats because most of us only took our first dip in the last few years. I could run a Marathon in 2008 but could barely make it across the pool without drowing...

Also as adult learners you have to keep the swimming up, miss a week or 2 and your technique and fitnss fall off dramatically...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fazz wrote: »
    1 run away from Run green. Finally. Only took half the year!
    Odds of making it a Gold by December... 50/50 :D

Should hit it this week too, provided I manage to stay healthy.

Might scrape my first gold on Sunday too.

Run gold by December should be on the cards with my first Marathon attempt at DCM.

DD, the run targets are the most difficult to reach and you can see that by the number of greens. The only people to reach run green so far have done a marathon, or have an ironman in the next 3 weeks. I would think that I spread my training pretty evenly between the three events, although perhaps weighted a little more toward swimming as this has long been my weakest. Saying that, my swimming time has dropped off a little in the last two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Just scraped my first green in the bike.:D Was at an open water swim clinic at the weekend and did a bike and run after it to see what it was like to do one after the other. Didn’t actually realise I just did enough to get the green. Legs felt a bit wobbly at the start of the run but nothing major.

First time swimming in open water and it was terrible:eek: Not comfortable in the water at all and not been able to sight properly made things worse. Still it was good to go as it is better to experience these now than in my first tri (ever) this Saturday, a sprint. Sure it’ll be grand, in a river so will hopefully be easy to follow the bank.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

SBR challenge is keeping me honest this year and continues to keep me motivated. On average getting three swims, 2 bikes and 5 runs in a week. Pilates have finished for the summer. Will miss this but will try (hopefully) to keep it up at home. Have competed in 3 sprint tris so far this year. My swim time has improved significantly. This is as a result of joining a swim group and forcing myself to swim 3 times a week. Run times have shown some improvements but the bike is killing me!! I am putting this down as a work in progress and will continue to push it.
    Galway Sept is my goal and I will work towards this and try not to get caught up in times. Half thinking of entering Swinford half in July as a training run. Will see....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id be of the thinking that 3/3/4 might be of more use. Id be of the opinion that 2 bikes aren't enough. Remember a good amount if biking in training will help out your run on race day. Hard to know really but if you're saying your biking it killing you then thats possibly where some focus should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Thank you for the sound advice Bambaata. Def need to get an extra cycle in per week. During the winter I was doing 3 if not 4 cycles each week. At the moment I do club TT every second week 20km/40km and I find this whacks me. I do a long cycle at the weekends -70km. I have two PBs this year at 20 and 40km TT but I calf when it comes to races!! This is disappointing. Seem to be stuck on 38m in 20km sprint tri when I TT 35m. Have to say I did target the cycling earlier this year. Had been doing more specific sessions which I hoped would improve my times and your reply has made me realise I have neglected this so thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

FINALLY snagged a bike green. At the start of the year, I was planning on hitting that around April. ah, intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yeah - no. 1 on the run :D (until Dory posts her latest figures).

griffin100 wrote: »
    Yeah - no. 1 on the run :D (until Dory posts her latest figures).

I'll be on holiday for a bit, so enjoy the glory of no. 1. :)

• Advertisement

For the past 2 years, I think I've been 2nd & 3rd in the SBR - this year I sit at a lofty 12th position.

You kids are going crazy....

You kids are going crazy....

Says the man who did Conn Ultra, Ubu Dhabi LD and Donadea Ultra in he space of 6 weeks ;)

Challenge ranking now updated folks, sorry for delaying so long. Izoard you are up to 9th... not all bad Chief :)

I'm guessing Dory Dory is a 25-30k a week swimmer when up and running then?

If so then 160k to claw back... So mid July maybe?
    Second week of July I'll go with..

Oh and Dory Dory, none of this 1 yard = 1 metre American nonsense ok?? :D

Hey DD.

Have you been slacking or what?? :D:p
    I had been expecting to get lapped in the pool by now but you must be in another lane caught in traffic or something :pac:

Is the whole conversion thing just not working out? :p

Hey DD.

I had been expecting to get lapped in the pool by now but you must be in another lane caught in traffic or something :pac:

Hi Fazz! :) So sweet of you to check in on me. Yep, been a little busy with spa days and my bridge club and getting lost on the interstate all the time(fecking ejit hasn't even been reading my log ;)) that I've little time for training. But, boy howdy have you been rolling like a freight train racking up the laps (which begs the question, is he really that bad of a swimmer to need this much practice? ;);)) which is so awesome for you. I haven't logged in my massive Irish Sea swim I did with Interested yet - still working out the math actually.....but if you're as good with addition and subtraction as you are in the water, then perhaps you'll help a conversion-damsel-in-distress (my arse! ;););)) with some creative calculating. :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey DD.

Hi Fazz! :) So sweet of you to check in on me. Yep, been a little busy with spa days and my bridge club and getting lost on the interstate all the time[SIZE="1"](fecking ejit hasn't even been reading my log ;))[/SIZE] that I've little time for training. But, boy howdy have you been rolling like a freight train racking up the laps [SIZE="1"](which begs the question, is he really that bad of a swimmer to need this much practice? ;);))[/SIZE] which is so awesome for you. I haven't logged in my massive Irish Sea swim I did with Interested yet - still working out the math actually.....but if you're as good with addition and subtraction as you are in the water, then perhaps you'll help a conversion-damsel-in-distress [SIZE="1"](my arse! ;););))[/SIZE] with some creative calculating. :D

I'm afraid yes I need every length and every session of my current swim volume!
    I'm less than 2 years doing front crawl and it's actually only 3 swims a week plus the odd race/ow so doesn't feel too much.
    Learning more each week and feel progress so certainly won't tail off until races are over.

Only really got a few more weeks of it though so once you log your irish swim and get out of the spa's you'll have no bother ;)

I'll give you another 8 weeks to climb the rankings before checking back in so :D:p

Says the man who did Conn Ultra, Ubu Dhabi LD and Donadea Ultra in he space of 6 weeks ;)

Challenge ranking now updated folks, sorry for delaying so long. Izoard you are up to 9th... not all bad Chief :)

My cunning plan to sneak up on a few post-(H)IM victims, is not really paying off...I was hoping the likes of Oryx and catweazle would disappear for a couple of months - too much enthusiasm if you ask me...

If it wasn't for you pesky kids.....:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My cunning plan to sneak up on a few post-(H)IM victims, is not really paying off...I was hoping the likes of Oryx and catweazle would disappear for a couple of months - too much enthusiasm if you ask me...

If it wasn't for you pesky kids.....:)
    I think I'm probably older than you, but I'll take that!

Oryx wrote: »
    I think I'm probably older than you, but I'll take that!

In my mind, you are mid 20's....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In my mind, you are mid 20's....
    In my mind I'm mid 20's too. :D

But everyone on the sbr is sexeh. :p

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    In my mind I'm mid 20's too. :D

But everyone on the sbr is sexeh. :p

I'd probably draw the line at tunney and his two-piece...

Advertisement