Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FFX-2 First Impressions

• 18-03-2003 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Just read some of the first impressions here (warning: contains some spoilers).

I have to say it doesnt look promising. It was always a danger to attempt to follow up a final fantasy storyline - they are made as epics, and as such have very definite endings. Despite this I thought the game might be fun, and having said that Ill probably still get it when it comes out here, but it seems we shouldnt be getting our hopes up too much.

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

It does sound dodgy allright especially those jumpy bits. But I'm still looking forward to it because I just can't ignore an FF game. It's not even a definite release over here yet though is it? I'd say they will bring it here because it has been pretty successfull in Japan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't worry too much the jumping was done in Xenogears and it worked very well. Also you can't die if you fail a jump. I'd be more sceptical about the FFVII sequel that is rumoured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

not to mention vargant story. quite a bit of jumping in that one to and was quite good.

quite harsh comments on it there but alot of jap mags have been saying its good and the battle system is also quite good. plus they sold 1.2 million copies on the day of release. now all those people cant be wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

What a follow up to FFVII? That's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    not to mention vargant story. quite a bit of jumping in that one to and was quite good.
    Yes, but Vagrant story was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT style of game - the battle engine and the field engine were the same, for a start.
    they sold 1.2 million copies on the day of release. now all those people cant be wrong :)
    Yes they can, particularly on the day of release :) Theres no one to say whether its good or bad on the day of release, 1.2 million copies were sold on the strength of Final Fantasy X.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

id get any FF game they are always an experience.
    while were on the FF subject does anyone have any tips on [NOT POSTING BLOODY GREAT SPOILERS FOR THE END OF THE GAME]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

that sounds way dodgy indeed, and i didn't know yuna was tidius' mother not finished FFX today (spent bout 90mins round omega ruins today on my way back to a save sphere when i got great marlboroed i was way pissed)

anywho whats the craic with FFXI? hopefully a proper game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Arrrgggg damned spoiles! People like you should be shot! What do you think the spoiler code is for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    that sounds way dodgy indeed, and i didn't know yuna was tidius' mother not finished FFX

Em, what? Yuna is not Tidus's bloody mother :) (Or else I've missed something really important when I watched the ending of FFX)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I wouldn't worry too much the jumping was done in Xenogears and it worked very well. Also you can't die if you fail a jump. I'd be more sceptical about the FFVII sequel that is rumoured

I think FF Tactics was supposed to be a follow up toFF7 because you could get Cloud and Aeris as extra characters similar to how you got yuffie or vincent in FF7

• Advertisement

"Em, what? Yuna is not Tidus's bloody mother (Or else I've missed something really important when I watched the ending of FFX)"

ah that site must have been taking the piss about the spoilers then thank god for that, i thought there was a bit of the oedipus complex going on there

"Arrrgggg damned spoiles! People like you should be shot! What do you think the spoiler code is for!"

don't know how to use that spoiler thing feel free to educate me.

[spoiler]Your Spoiler Here[/spoiler]

A

thanking you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 retrogamer

Heres my interpretation of the end of FF7.

Spoiler Alert

start
    The answer from the planet is that all the humans were killed since the planet is better off without them. That why we only see RedXIII or whatever his name is at the end. Its also why we see Aerith cos cloud and the lads are dead and get to see her in the promised land

End

Wouldn't mind some comments on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** wrong ID

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by retrogamer

Spoiler Alert

start
    The answer from the planet is that all the humans were killed since the planet is better off without them. That why we only see RedXIII or whatever his name is at the end. Its also why we see Aerith cos cloud and the lads are dead and get to see her in the promised land

End

Wouldn't mind some comments on this.

not exactley the happiest ending if
    all the people die

Been years since I completed FF7; tell me what happened and I'll give ya me thoughts :)

Originally posted by retrogamer
    Oh great God please no. I sincerely thought Id waded through all the 'interpretations' of FF7 years ago :) I liked the game as much (and indeed more) than the next man, but Jesus I got sick of people arguing just what the ending meant. That bothered me almost as much as the fanfics that people who clearly had no skill with the english language (and quite probably wrote in Spanish and translated it through babelfish) insisted on writing, in their desperate attempts to have an ending to FF7 which didnt involve
    Aerith dying.

No offence, retrogamer, but just let it go.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

That bothered me almost as much as the fanfics that people who clearly had no skill with the english language (and quite probably wrote in Spanish and translated it through babelfish) insisted on writing

Did it occur to you that maybe you shouldn't have bothered reading any of them, then? :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Shinji
    Did it occur to you that maybe you shouldn't have bothered reading any of them, then? :)
    Cant say it did :) There was a while a few years ago when I frequented fan sites in search of the fabled fan art and decent fan fics.

I never found any decent fanfics.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The ending to FF 7 is set several hundred years later.
    I think FF Tactics was supposed to be a follow up toFF7 because you could get Cloud and Aeris as extra characters similar to how you got yuffie or vincent in FF7

Some of the charecters from FF 7, 8 & 10. appear in Kingdoms Heart which was made by Squaresoft and Disney togther but its not a sequel
    anywho whats the craic with FFXI? hopefully a proper game

Its an online game and will require a good line so squaresoft plan to hold the relase in countrys where the internet is not up to standard, that will probley include us unless eircom get the finger out

AFAIK it will be available on PC only in Europe.

A

Advertisement