Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC go to 200Mb/s; digital divide worse than ever.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭clohamon

What do you expect?

I presume that's rhetorical. If not, I was only noting the worsening trend in digital divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

funnyname wrote: »
    Yup state involvement is required but at the moment that looks like it's going to be mobile - LTE - rather than - FWA- , this will be be to the detriment of the rural population in that it still not be proper BB and only of benefit to the mobile phone companies who can say that even though their remit was to supply coverage to 70% of the country they can say it actually higher and again the Govt can say their policy of only putting a 70% coverage clause in the 4G licence tender actually worked to the advantage of everyone in the country.

Mobile would be awful. Many in the countryside will not pay for mobile, because the data limits are so low.

I'd use about 20 gigs in about a week and half. I not going to keep handing over money if i go over my allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

clohamon wrote: »
    I presume that's rhetorical. If not, I was only noting the worsening trend in digital divide.

Rhetorical? Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Mobile would be awful. Many in the countryside will not pay for mobile, because the data limits are so low.

I'd use about 20 gigs in about a week and half. I not going to keep handing over money if i go over my allowance.

It could be done with LTE but the caps and limited bandwidth would have to change!

You'd need uncapped or, as close to it as possible. The end users would need a similar experience to VDSL/fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It CAN NEVER be done with LTE. Fibre to every home would be fraction of the cost. Mobile caps are actually too HIGH! The caps are because the capacity doesn't exist. You'd need x10 to x30 as many masts to have enough capacity for broadband type caps and speeds.

A similar experience even to ADSL2 for 90% of LTE users if used as fixed broadband is more costly than Fibre!

Even 95% coverage "ordinary" LTE is about the same price as universal fibre!

The whole point of LTE is MOBILE native IP services for short term on the go "bursty" use. Not watching Netflix or replacing fixed Broadband. The two are complementary and actually good 3G & LTE coverage needs Fibre fed Broadband fed "Femto" cells!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It could be done with LTE but the caps and limited bandwidth would have to change!

You'd need uncapped or, as close to it as possible. The end users would need a similar experience to VDSL/fibre

The basic engineering says the opposite, that LTE could never do it in any meaningful way, LTE (and 3G) are shared mediums meaning very simply that the more users that use a cell the less the speed delivered. One (or two) users in a cell will have a good experience but when you move out to 10 or more the "experience" drops off very quickly perhaps even to zero.

Haven't even mentioned the inverse square law either...

If you want good speeds on LTE you need to limit the users on the cell and the only way to do that is by tiny caps...also if you are going to fibre up most cell sites why not just run fibre to the village anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

LTE is not the future of broadband, please stop suggesting it. It's good for MOBILE BROADBAND and that's it. Mobile broadband is congested and unreliable as is. If people start to rely on it more, the service is only going to get worse.

FTTH is the future. It's going to be a necessity like running water or roads. Eircom can even cash in on recycling the old copper crap.

People can work from home. More productivity. Less emissions. Less road usage. Why the hell isn't REAL fibre rolled out yet? Jesus christ, Rabbitte needs to get his finger out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement