Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cardinal Brady - holed and sunk, but does he know it?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

brady said it? which program?

There was an interview on with the abuse victim (I think it was prime time? I don't watch tv regularly at all) and he said he was asked if he liked what was happening, among the other things mentioned here. He also specifically stated it was Sean (then John) Brady who signed the oath saying he wasn't allowed to talk to anyone about it.

I'll try to find it on RTE's player now.

EDIT:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1147927

From about 7:30 on.

Fortyniner wrote: »
    For me, one of the most distressing parts of the BBC programme was near the end, when the poor man who had reported that bastard Smythe all those years ago was reunited with his friend, a fellow victim, who doesn't want to be identified (understandably). He hugged his friend and said 'I thought I'd saved you, you know'.

Real lump in the throat moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

There was an interview on with the abuse victim (I think it was newsnight? I don't watch tv regularly at all) and he said he was asked if he liked what was happening, among the other things mentioned here. He also specifically stated it was Sean (then John) Brady who signed the oath saying he wasn't allowed to talk to anyone about it.

I'll try to find it on RTE's player now.

I think that was on The Nolan show on BBC last night. He was in the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

Will brady jump before he's pushed ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

and asked him if he enjoyed it, i have heard. can anyone verify this?
    So far as I'm aware, only pieces of the transcript have been released, but it did have Brady asking about erections, whether the victim "liked" boys and that kind of thing; stuff that would probably have the "note-taker" up in court these days.

That said though, a catholic priest -- dead now -- in a school I went to was notorious for asking boys 11, 12 and 13 years old exactly the same questions. "Do ye feel a little bit, ah, stiff in the morning, dearie?" was one question a friend of mine was asked.

So it was clearly something that priests were worried about, and were worried about in a sufficiently consistent way, that I'm (seriously) beginning to wonder whether this kind of question and answer was something that priests studied in college.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

robindch wrote: »
    So far as I'm aware, only pieces of the transcript have been released, but it did have Brady asking about erections, whether the victim "liked" boys and that kind of thing; stuff that would probably have the "note-taker" up in court these days.

That said though, a catholic priest -- dead now -- in a school I went to was notorious for asking boys 11, 12 and 13 years old exactly the same questions. "Do ye feel a little bit, ah, stiff in the morning, dearie?" was one question a friend of mine was asked.

So it was clearly something that priests were worried about, and were worried about in a sufficiently consistent way, that I'm (seriously) beginning to wonder whether this kind of question and answer was something that priests studied in college.
    The rcc is sexually obsessed so questions on sex are par for the course.
    Sure weren't there similar allegations against mcquaid recently (who coincidentally told Dev how to "run" the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

kbannon wrote: »
    The rcc is sexually obsessed so questions on sex are par for the course.
    Sure weren't there similar allegations against mcquaid recently (who coincidentally told Dev how to "run" the country?

Stole my post! ;)

Was about to say the exact same thing. Stephen fry said "The church is OBSESSED with sex".

I'd never thought of it 'til he said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

the irish public back then didnt put up a moral fight either,if you said anything you could be whipped away to the bold boys school,or if you got pregnant your own family would disown you,and that was from the public..people looked up to these religious figures and gave them a lot more authority than they should have had..
    as far as im concerned what the cardinal did was wrong and he shouldnt have just left it at that,but what i was saying was that by his moral logic he thought he had done all he could,which i dont think he did personally myself..

The Irish public were indoctrinated into a cult that kept them loyal through threats of ostricisation in this life and eternal damnation in the fictitious next one and kept them as innocent to other philosophies than it's own as possible. I suppose Josef Fritzl's daughter has to accept some of the responsibility for her case too given that she didn't use every ounce of her life to fight for her freedom?
    Victims are often brainwashed into accepting their treatment you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I am so angry about all this, I am not going to post what I'd like seen done to brady.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Interesting solution from the Vatican -- Ratzinger may appoint an assistant bishop "before the end of the year":

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0505/1224315653654.html
    VATICAN SOURCES said yesterday they expected a coadjutor bishop to be appointed to the archdiocese of Armagh before the end of the year to aid embattled Cardinal Seán Brady.

The coadjutor bishop is usually younger than the resident bishop, essentially entrusted with wide-ranging administrative functions. Under canon law, a coadjutor has the right to succeed the person he is sent to assist. Cardinal Brady has faced calls to resign this week after a victim of serial child sex abuser Fr Brendan Smyth claimed that information he gave to a Catholic Church inquiry team in 1975, which included Cardinal Brady, was not passed on to parents of some victims. Brendan Boland, who was abused as a child by Smyth, made the allegations in a BBC documentary.

It also emerged yesterday that Brendan Smyth, who had his faculties to say Mass publicly and hear confession in Kilmore diocese removed following the 1975 abuse inquiry by then Fr Seán Brady and others, had those faculties restored to him by then bishop of Kilmore Francis McKiernan some time afterwards. This was confirmed yesterday by the Abbot of the Norbertine congregation’s Kilnacrott Abbey in Co Cavan where Smyth had been resident and to which congregation he belonged.

Fr Gerard Cusack was unable to say when those faculties were restored to Smyth by bishop McKiernan. Speaking on radio station Shannonside Northern Sound, he said Smyth’s faculties “were removed for some time and again were restored” by bishop McKiernan following Fr Brady’s 1975 abuse report. Kilmore diocesan secretary Fr Francis Duffy said last night that the current Bishop of Kilmore, Leo O’Reilly, was checking the facts.

The Holy See has stoutly defended the Irish primate, arguing he has done nothing wrong. However Vatican sources now expect Cardinal Brady (73) to effectively step aside, leaving the running of the archdiocese to a younger man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

What is it with the RCC and their independent language of canon law? We had visitators a short while ago, not visitors, and now we have a coadjutor, not an assistant. Then everyone starts using the vatican's own terminology - just watch. Off we all go into fairyland again.

It seems they wish to avoid plain speaking and move to some other ethereal level, but everyone then joins in.

They're talking about an ASSISTANT!

Yes, I know I shouldn't shout, but I'm upset at their shenanagins. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

robindch wrote: »
    Interesting solution from the Vatican -- Ratzinger may appoint an assistant bishop "before the end of the year":

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0505/1224315653654.html

You mean the Pope.
    Show a little respect for the man's title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You mean the Pope.

We'll respect his title when he shows respect for People, Families and Children.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    We'll respect his title when he shows respect for People, Families and Children.

No somehow I don't think you atheists will.
    This Pope is doing a lot to correct the sins of the past.
    But that will never be enough.
    You want to see the Church destroyed.
    I'd respect you people more were you just to concede this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You mean the Pope.

Why?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why?

The head of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Sonics2k wrote: »

No somehow I don't think you atheists will.
    This Pope is doing a lot to correct the sins of the past.
    But that will never be enough.
    You want to see the Church destroyed.
    I'd respect you people more were you just to concede this.

And when exactly did he defrock the priests convicted of child sex abuse? Hard to respect him when he retains such disgusting individuals as members of the club.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Leave the Pope alone!!

th_YouTube-LeaveBritneyAlone.jpg

Leave the Pope alone!!

Abuse is only a one way street for you I see.

You mean the Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I suppose Josef Fritzl's daughter has to accept some of the responsibility for her case too given that she didn't use every ounce of her life to fight for her freedom?

I dont think the irish public on the whole were innocent as you claim,a lot of them had their suspicions of what went on but never did anything - remember the magdalene laundries...a lot of young pregnant women who were vunerable and in need of assistance were shunned by the community holier than thou gossips,and vilified as sluts..

And where exactly did i say that josef fritzls daughter needed to acccept the resonsiblity of her case?

Mabye thats how you really feel

ShooterSF wrote: »
    The Irish public were indoctrinated into a cult that kept them loyal through threats of ostricisation in this life and eternal damnation in the fictitious next one and kept them as innocent to other philosophies than it's own as possible. I suppose Josef Fritzl's daughter has to accept some of the responsibility for her case too given that she didn't use every ounce of her life to fight for her freedom?

As a Sinn Fein supporter do you care to comment on the dead children whose charred bodies were shovelled into body bags on Bloody Friday.

Shinners and atheists and of course agnostics.

Strange bedfellows indeed mama!

As a Sinn Fein supporter do you care to comment on the dead children whose charred bodies were shovelled into body bags on Bloody Friday.

Oh look, 'whataboutery' :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The head of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.
    Was that the count on the last Census Sunday?

I dont think the irish public on the whole were innocent as you claim,a lot of them had their suspicions of what went on but never did anything - remember the magdalene laundries...a lot of young pregnant women who were vunerable and in need of assistance were shunned by the community holier than thou gossips,and vilified as sluts..

And where exactly did i say that josef fritzls daughter needed to acccept the resonsiblity of her case?

Mabye thats how you really feel

The culture of Ireland was cultivated by the church to protect itself. Yes people had their suspicions but through the churches influence on them they did not speak up. That's the point. The whole country was a victim of the church's tyranny. Why do you think the laundries happened? Because the church's perverted vilification of sex outside of marriage seeped into the very state. These people were under it's influence and they acted horribly because of that influence. A country not built on those "Christian values" but rather on people's freedoms and happiness would not have allowed such things to go on. You can't blame the people of Ireland unless you want to blame the people of Ireland who were in the grips of the church.

Shinners and atheists and of course agnostics.

Strange bedfellows indeed mama!

Sigh. I AM NOT A SHINNER. (I really have to put that in my sig at this point) SF happen to be my initials. At this point of my life I'm not even a patriot! I have some irrational loves for the country that I allow myself to indulge in (the football team for one) but I realise what a silly idea nationalism is.

Oh look, 'whataboutery' :rolleyes:

incorrect whataboutery at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

I'm with Vincent Browne: titles are instruments of subjugation.

Leave the Pope alone!!

In the context of this thread I think this is a unfortunate image for Galvesean to use.

Or does this image fit in neatly with the valueless credentials of atheists and of course agnostics?

Abuse is only a one way street for you I see.
    In the context of this thread I think this is a unfortunate image for Galvesean to use.

Or does this image fit in neatly with the valueless credentials of atheists and of course agnostics?

Keep replying to the same post. Before long you may actually write something of value to the thread.

PS: That's not how you spell Galvasean. Show some respect for my proper title! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the churchgoers mentality hasnt exactly helped,if things were more open maybe the boy could have been in a situation where he could speak out to his community (without being vilified are as someone telling tales etc)about such an indecent and horrible act that happened to him..
    a lot of young people were whipped away to the christian brothers on complaints of other neighbours back in holier than thou little ireland,where you had the church and elders as the higher authorities which is why i think priests and other such officials went about unquestioned..as they could do no wrong they were seen as higher up the foodchain..
    now of course our new church is the media which i think is unfortunate for different reasons,eg trial by media,what about that priest wrongfully accused on a primetime programme mission to pray...

Advertisement