Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I got past the first boss in Strange Journey. It wasn't the usual SMT baptism of fire thank god. I'm really enjoying the game it seems a lot more accessible than the Etrian Odyssey series.

I played the first two areas and it definitely less roadblocks than Nocturne. I never bothered beating it though because I heard the final area is a nightmare with teleporters. I enjoyed what I played though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Didn't enjoy what I played of Strange Journey. Got about 30% through. I remember some of the areas being an absolute chore (one place with acid floors!:mad:) and there being a need for some major grinding which was slow-going. Too old-skool for me (at least you don't have to make your own maps though:P).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'm nearly done with my 100% of FF XIII , if I never see another adamantoise it will be too soon ! Just need to farm a bit more gil and 1 trap and I'm there. Have to say the last mark fights and the guis are actually pretty fun and forced me to use the Paradaigm system much more effectively than I have been. Then on to xiii 2 !

P3P's structure is a bit strange. I'm in the 3rd dungeon but its really still only the second (but technically there is only one!) and the mini boss midway points are not midway points and the main bosses aren't in the dungeon anyway!

The story doesn't tie up with the dungeon crawling as well as P4 at all. I often wonder why I'm bothering bar to level up and await the full moon event.

Otherwise its great (in a poor-man's P4 sense). Still wish they'd make more SMTs with the combat from the Devil Survivor games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh don't worry, the dungeon ends up rying nicely in with the overall story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

found a copy of crono cross and converted it over to psp cause id heard alot of good things
    am not disapoint wasnt expecting it to be so polished for such an old game

also started up a new ff8 put it down though cause i killed diablos on first attempt 4 demi's and two duels rest of the game will be really easy :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't give up on it just yet. Most of the later enemies will be immune to Demi. Also, FF8 is worth it for the broken battle system and the even more broken story.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Don't give up on it just yet. Most of the later enemies will be immune to Demi. Also, FF8 is worth it for the broken battle system and the even more broken story.

but it's the fact everything is so broken that annoys me. I remember playing it when it first came out and not having a clue what was happening post the space mission. Even now I'm not too certain what was going on. I will try and replay it, given it's the only one that's bested me yet. (And i'm a sucker for Carbuncle)...

ill probably finish it off for the cards, never realized how easy it was though and short when you think about it
    the only optional boss is omega if memory serves?
    still though crono cross will keep me entertained i think and am eyeing up the lunar remake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For FF8 all you really need to do is draw 100 of the best spells and junction them to your characters and also concentrate on learning the GF abilities that give % stat increases, they eventually turn into abilities that give you +1 to that stat with each level up. Then you've got the game broken :)

Chrono Cross kind of annoyed me. It completely pisses on Chrono Triggers story and I never got the battle system. I must go back to it. I remember you got an awful lot of characters in your party, the majority of which were useless (a piece of wood as a character?).

• Advertisement

yeah the battle system is weird has me scratching my head each turn and half turn (?) itll pass a few hours anyway

Well I think most people that don't like Chrono Cross hate it because it's a total disservice to the first game and has one fo those plots that could give Kingdom Hearts a run for it's money in stupidity. If you take it as a game on it's own merits and not a sequel to Chrono Trigger then it's meant to be pretty good if flawed.

As a stupid teenager who thought FFVII was the greatest accomplishment by human kind I would have fallen into the first category so I'm looking forward to going back to it sometime with some actual maturity under my belt.

ive found that myself recently with one or sequels ive picked up its best to treat them as standalones otherwise your going to be left annoyed and unsatisfied i.e star ocean second evolution its a sequel but not really best to forget the first one when you load up the second. poor example but yeah
    shame that crafting system cant be forgotten though :(

and ff7 was fairly polished for when it came out if memory serves still looks good on a small screen too :P
    also wasnt it the first or one of the first games to use fmv's throughout a whole game? couldnt get away from them after a while could have happend naturally either way though. idk im old and sleepy :P

also started grandia missed out on that when i was a boy
    so right now am playing crono cross, grandia, and lunar 1

was playing tales of the world radiant mythology but burned out on that real quick will pick it back up though the art is nice.

FFVII definitely wasn't the first to use FMV, sure games have been using FMV since Dragon's Lair in 1983 and there were plenty of RPGs on the Mega CD and PC Engine CD that used FMV cutscenes. When FFVII came out FMV was really frowned upon due to how low quality it was in most games, the exceptions being those little known RPG's on the Mega CD and PC Engine CD like Ys and Lunar 1 and 2. FFVII was different because the FMV was actually really high quality.

I definitely wouldn't cal FFVII polished either, that game was a complete rush job. It was however still a hell of a lot of fun. The FFVII adverts on TV famously showed no gameplay footage, it was all FMV so it tricked people into buying it who then realised RPGs were actually a lot of fun, except of course the muppets that returned it because they didn't realise there was so much reading involved :rolleyes:

You're going to love Grandia, it's absolutely superb. It's got the best battle system of any RPG I've played and the story is full of charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Alright Persona 4, it's been a few years, but let's do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Eternal Sonata. Fun game, but damn you love your lengthy cut scenes. Like beyond ridiculous sometimes.

JoePie wrote: »
    Eternal Sonata. Fun game, but damn you love your lengthy cut scenes. Like beyond ridiculous sometimes.
    I enjoyed the visual style and the interesting light/dark combat mechanic but otherwise ES felt like it was straight from the PS1 era (if not even older). JRPGs have evolved in so many ways that it just felt generic and simplistic and by about half way through I'd had enough.

Be interested to know if it does pick up later on so keep us posted.

I heard later on it uses a lot of palette swaps and gets repetitive.

I'm playing quite a bit of Dragon's Dogma. Feels more like a western RPG. It's like a much smaller Skyrim but with a battle system that doesn't suck donkey dick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm playing quite a bit of Dragon's Dogma. Feels more like a western RPG. It's like a much smaller Skyrim but with a battle system that doesn't suck donkey dick.

Playing it myself atm,much better game than skyrim,pity the world isn't as big,I love the combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

On eternal sonata....I 1k'd it, personally I found it a good game for what it is but not one I'd spend days playing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is tales of grace f worth 50 euros?

Should it not be less than that by now?

Is tales of grace f worth 50 euros?

Haven't played but it's €45 on PSN and about €30 on Amazon I think so don't give Gamestop your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

penev10 wrote: »
    Haven't played but it's €45 on PSN and about €30 on Amazon I think so don't give Gamestop your money!

http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/ps3/tales-of-graces-f/10456887.html

So the 45 seems about right

Should it not be less than that by now?

It's 50 on gamestop and when you convert sterling on amazon it works out at 45 or there abouts.I'll leave it I think.

It's 33 euros on playasia with free shipping. Apparently according to Tales fans it's the best in the series other than Xillia which is coming in June.

Oh my........33 euro is very tempting indeed :D.

It says shipped within 1-2 weeks?does that mean there out of stock? I found it on shopto.net for 19.95 sterling :eek:.

Usually means they have another supplier for it rather than their warehouse. If it's out of stock it will say it is.

• Advertisement

I forgot I still had some money on my us psn account,so I got it off that for 35 dollars I think it was,downloading now,Its gonna forever :/.

Advertisement