Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Bora sump repair / replacement

• 02-01-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi I drove over a rock hidden in the snow last week and damaged my sump,. i need to get it replaced or repaired. Can anyone suggest where to bring it in the North Dublin D3 area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

is it just dented? or has it cracked and lost its oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peterkear

can't tell 100% but it has lost its oil, I'd be fairly sure it's cracked as the oil poured straight out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

are you mechanically minded/skilled? they are really easy to change. shouldn't cost more than 100 euro if you can claim the vat back.

Tks but not really a goer, I wouldn't have the equipment needed lift it etc, don't have anywhere to do it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Did you run the engine when the oil leaked from the sump? i.e how long did it take you to notice it had leaked? Running the engine even for seconds with no oil would have started to do damage.

Changing the sump is fairly straight forward...pm sent.

• Advertisement

Yeah I did run it all right but not for long, didn't notice anything other than the oil pouring out, ie the car was running fine, haven't moved it or ticked it over since. Hopefully no damage done but hard to tell at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Sorry to hear, I thought I did my sump in last weekend as well and bought a sump before I got it over an inspection pit, it turned out to be the seperator box on the back of the engine was full of yellow gunk and when it froze solid, it caused the oil to come out of the dipstick tube where it meets the block from the pressure build up.

What engine is your Bora, the sump I have fits a petrol 1.4 or petrol 1.6 (they use the same sumps).

If you need one I'll sell you my one, I only want what I payed for it.

Hi Vinny, I work in the trade so would get one fairly cheap, if you want to PM a price though no harm, thanks

Peter

turns out not to be the sump at all, looks like the box, watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rot10

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, I thought I did my sump in last weekend as well and bought a sump before I got it over an inspection pit, it turned out to be the seperator box on the back of the engine was full of yellow gunk and when it froze solid, it caused the oil to come out of the dipstick tube where it meets the block from the pressure build up.

What engine is your Bora, the sump I have fits a petrol 1.4 or petrol 1.6 (they use the same sumps).

If you need one I'll sell you my one, I only want what I payed for it.

I need a new sump to replace one for my Bora 1.4L Petrol.
    Has an almost undetectable hairline crack but this makes a bit of a mess of oil when driving on the motorway.
    Presumably under pressure at higher speeds?

Anyway would anyone have one or recommend buying a new "spurious" one?

• Advertisement

rot10 wrote: »
    Has an almost undetectable hairline crack but this makes a bit of a mess of oil when driving on the motorway.

I have a sump here, where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

rot10 wrote: »

most motorfactors can get them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

A good secondhand genuine sump is a better bet than a new spurious one. The non-genuine sumps are very thin and will crack even easier than the original part.

sean1141 wrote: »
    most motorfactors can get them
    A good secondhand genuine sump is a better bet than a new spurious one. The non-genuine sumps are very thin and will crack even easier than the original part.

The sump I have is a genuine VW sump.

Advertisement