Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

titles

• 14-02-2012 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

might make an interesting 'sticky' thread to have all the mma shows title holders listed?

man of war
    pro
    mw jms sbg

amatuer
    lw James heelan sbg

cage contender
    pro (only do pro champs )
    mw Chris fields sbg
    ww cathal pendred sbg

etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

We'll wait till RFA win a few more John!

But really, do out the list but no need for a stickie-people barely read stickies and the less we have the better, they take away from new content been visible.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Be interesting to see how many 'champions' there are at each weight as well. It's one of the main concerns I'd have about the rate the sport is growing at.....it's getting to be almost as bad as boxing and kickboxing now with the amount of champions that are out there....taking into account C, B and A class, it's getting slightly ridonkulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

Maybe at pro Brendan but there are very few amateur titles out there

Be interesting to see how many 'champions' there are at each weight as well. It's one of the main concerns I'd have about the rate the sport is growing at.....it's getting to be almost as bad as boxing and kickboxing now with the amount of champions that are out there....taking into account C, B and A class, it's getting slightly ridonkulous!

it's getting to be almost as bad as boxing and kickboxing now with the amount of champions that are out there....taking into account C, B and A class, it's getting slightly ridonkulous!

That's not fair on Boxing in fairness, at Amateur level there is 1 Irish champ, 1 European champ and 1 World champ.

At pro there is WBO, WBC, WBA and IBF world champ where as in MMA and Kickboxing there is probably about 50 World champs in each weight division, just like most people see the UFC as been the real champ the RING magazine champ is usually considered the true champion in Boxing

Also in Pro there is only 1 Irish champ in each weigh too

To add to this, it is possible to unify these titles in Boxing and not in these other sports, it's too late for MMA at this stage as there is way too many titles out there to change it, but their a good promotional tool and once an organisation does not make claims that the belt makes the fighter THE CHAMP of Ireland for example then it is what it is, A promotions champ.

cowzerp wrote: »
    That's not fair on Boxing in fairness, at Amateur level there is 1 Irish champ, 1 European champ and 1 World champ.

At pro there is WBO, WBC, WBA and IBF world champ where as in MMA and Kickboxing there is probably about 50 World champs in each weight division, just like most people see the UFC as been the real champ the RING magazine champ is usually considered the true champion in Boxing

Also in Pro there is only 1 Irish champ in each weigh too

To add to this, it is possible to unify these titles in Boxing and not in these other sports, it's too late for MMA at this stage as there is way too many titles out there to change it, but their a good promotional tool and once an organisation does not make claims that the belt makes the fighter THE CHAMP of Ireland for example then it is what it is, A promotions champ.

Fair enough, I agree on the boxing front, was aimed moreso at pro than amateur, but yeah, you're right regardless.

I know with mma as well, that they're a promotions champion, but I still think that it really dilutes the value of them....moreso the c/b class titles....call me old fashioned, but I just think that titles should be held back for the pro or a class fighters. I think it's pretty ridiculous seeing folks with 3/4 fights with title belts (I'll probably get slated for that!!).

• Advertisement

Maybe at pro Brendan but there are very few amateur titles out there

You'd be surprised - an awful lot of the promotions are starting to do c and b class titles - i'll be interested to see it.

It's not quite down the kick/thai-boxing route quite yet, but it's getting there....I remember fighting on a show in Tranmere years ago - 14 fights, 14 titles up for grabs - all they were short was a mickey mouse symbol on the belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd hate to see mma going the same route - it's definitely in danger of doing so.

Fair enough, I agree on the boxing front, was aimed moreso at pro than amateur, but yeah, you're right regardless.

I know with mma as well, that they're a promotions champion, but I still think that it really dilutes the value of them....moreso the c/b class titles....call me old fashioned, but I just think that titles should be held back for the pro or a class fighters. I think it's pretty ridiculous seeing folks with 3/4 fights with title belts (I'll probably get slated for that!!).

I agree but with every promotion been their own governing body then it's really uncontrollable, the whole problem stems from their not been a world governing body and with how big MMA is now it's just too late for that.

Like i'm the current featherweight Battlezone champion and Owen Roddy is the Cage contender 1, Owen is higher ranked than me so using the Ring magazine system in Boxing he would be the true Irish Champion, same would apply if he was the Battlezone champ, it's not about the belt but who has the belt.

ya ill be the 1st to slate you, 1) whats wrong with ammie titles?
    2) a guy wins an ammie belt in 4th or 5th fight, doesnt deserve it? elaborate?

ya ill be the 1st to slate you, 1) whats wrong with ammie titles?
    2) a guy wins an ammie belt in 4th or 5th fight, doesnt deserve it? elaborate?

Maybe I worded that wrong - it's not the amateur titles per say, but moreso the fact that every promotion has one.

Like paul said, it's probably too late to do anything about that now, but how can you say that they have any major meaning if there are say 5/6/7 amateur title holders at the same weight in a country the size of ireland.

Give out trophys, not belts!!!!!

what promotions have amateur titles and more to the point which ones are actively competed for?

• Advertisement

what promotions have amateur titles and more to the point which ones are actively competed for?

I'd say we'd do well to find any promotion that's either run or due to run so far this year that hasn't had an amateur title up for grabs. Has there been one?

I think you actually hit the nail on the head there by asking which ones are actively competed for. I don't recall one being defended (as always, I'm open to correction, and I don't doubt you will correct me :D)

Again, my opinions are only my opinions, not digs at any promotions/title holders - of course someone is going to accept a shot to fight for a belt if it's offered.

Rumble in Rush, No titles Bren
    Everyone is a champion ;)
    I'd say we'd do well to find any promotion that's either run or due to run so far this year that hasn't had an amateur title up for grabs. Has there been one?

I think you actually hit the nail on the head there by asking which ones are actively competed for. I don't recall one being defended (as always, I'm open to correction, and I don't doubt you will correct me :D)

Again, my opinions are only my opinions, not digs at any promotions/title holders - of course someone is going to accept a shot to fight for a belt if it's offered.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Rumble in Rush, No titles Bren
    Everyone is a champion ;)

You're right - I remembered that after I posted - that and Barry Oglesbys show are one of the few exceptions Paul.

Edit - and in my defense I did say this year ;)

Mma clinic Ammie fight night, no titles :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

so can the promotion owners list their champions?

this is an 'Irish mma' forum so figured it'd be the place to list 'Irish mma champions'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Current Cage Contender Champions

Bantamweight - Paul McVeigh 18-7-0

Featherweight - Owen Roddy 9-3-0

Lightweight - Norman Parke 15-2-0

Welterweight - Cathal Pendred 9-2-1

Middleweight - Chris Fields 8-3-0

Light Heavyweight - Marius Lapenas 4-0-1

Heavyweight - Neil Wain 10-3-0

gotta be someone out there who can put list together, fighthounds or one of the other mma sites list them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

gotta be someone out there who can put list together, fighthounds or one of the other mma sites list them?

We don't have a champions list section on the site. But I do think this would be the best place to find out (boards that is) as most coaches post info on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Immortal and chaos champs are missing, are efr still going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Sprawl FC have at least one title aswell i think

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wayno

SPRAWL FC CHAMPIONS
    WW VIKTORAS KONTRIMAS 17-4

2 MORE TITLES THIS WEEKEND

HI GUYS I AM LOOKING FOR A HW FOR A AMATEUR TITLE THIS WEEKEND AT SPRAWL FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS ll DUE TO A PULL OUT TONITE PLEASE PM ANY COACHS OR FIGHTERS INTERESTED :)

http://www.facebook.com/events/219234091481839/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SeanieMurphy

just catching up on all the belts here does every show in ireland have a belt for all classes ?

is there 1 all ireland champion in each weight division ?

just catching up on all the belts here does every show in ireland have a belt for all classes ?

is there 1 all ireland champion in each weight division ?

some do

no, but look at the records of the 'champions' of some shows....not all belts are created equally

anyway here's a table of title holders...could be done clearer...but its a start

http://fighthounds.com/irish-champions/

as im having a lazy saturday i've done out a slightly clearer table for Pro champs

Pro|CC|MOW|Clan Wars|Sprawl|Battlezone
    BW|Paul McVeigh (18-7)||||
    FW|Owen Roddy (9-3)||Connor Dillon (5-4)||Paul Cowzer (3-6)
    LW|Norman Parke (15-2)|Yuri Malko (3-4)|Peter Duncan (6-7)||redmond/maguire
    WW|Cathal Pendred (9-2-1)|Ousmane Sidibi (4-3)|Merv Mullholland (9-4)|Viktoras Konitrims (16-5)|mulpeter/donnelly
    MW|Chris Fields (9-3)|John M Shiel (7-0)|||John M Shiel (7-0)
    LHW|Marius Lapenas (4-0-1)|Stephen Rice (1-2)|||Karl Moore (1-0)
    HW|Neil Wain (10-3)||||
    Combined record|74-20-2|15-9|20-15|16-5|11-6

Irish Teams with Pro Titles

Team|SBG|FAI|Lucan|Rush|Clinic|Drogheda MMA|IFS|Chum Sut|BTT
    no. of belts|5|2|1|1|1|2|1|1|1

probably some mistakes there, but mostly right i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

If there were no exclusive agreements etc., I think someone should take a run at all the pro titles in their division. That would be fairly cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Cage Wars have Ali Mclean LW 9-5-1

well it aint complete, but all im willing to do :) if promoters dont want to list their champions so be it...although leaving out Chaos BW Champ Paddy Holohan left me a title short :D
    If there were no exclusive agreements etc., I think someone should take a run at all the pro titles in their division. That would be fairly cool.

might be cool...but a complete waste of a fighters time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

well it aint complete, but all im willing to do :) if promoters dont want to list their champions so be it...although leaving out Chaos BW Champ Paddy Holohan left me a title short :D

might be cool...but a complete waste of a fighters time

aww come on John think about it then they can play this for as long as they live as infinite badass of their respective weight :p

• Advertisement

i think its pretty clear who the no.1 is in each weight

Advertisement