Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 10 - sub 60 + top 100 t-shirt!

• 10-11-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

As the title of my thread suggests, my goal is to run a sub-60 10 mile race at Ballycotton in March 2012 and win a top 100 finishers t-shirt.

PB's in a few different distances are:
    5 mile 28:45
    10km 37:22
    10 mile 60:55
    Marathon (Dublin 2010) 3:14 [training disrupted by injury]

My stats:
    Weight: 81kg
    Height: 6’ 4”

So, training so far:
    Sunday, 6th Nov – 11.3 miles, 8:10 pace; average HR 164
    Nice easy run around the Phoenix Park to re-introduce my legs to running after a 3 month gap. Went with my brother in-law and pregnant sister! Ideal weather – sunny and mild.

Thursday, 10th Nov – 7.14 miles; 7:02 pace; average HR 177
    I intended to take this run at a steady pace but as it turns out I’m more unfit than I realised and a steady run is too hard at this stage. Picked up the pace as the run went on, not because I felt good, the opposite actually, and really needed to get to the end before I flaked out. HR reached 191 for the last bit! Still, it gives me an idea of the work that needs to be done:rolleyes:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Mental the way fitness goes ot pott.
    Within 3 weeks you will be back to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good luck with the sub 60 goal. I hope to hit the same mark in 2012 and will follow this log with interest

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Kaymin! Just remember, for a t-shirt you'll have to go comfortably under 60 minutes (59:36 in 2011) and you'll have Village Runner (and I) to contend with along the way too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

Good luck with the log and goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

Best of luck Kaymin! Just remember, for a t-shirt you'll have to go comfortably under 60 minutes (59:36 in 2011) and you'll have Village Runner (and I) to contend with along the way too. :)

I'll be keeping an eye on your threads to see how the competition is doing so (and to copy some sessions)!

I think in 2009, just over 60 and half minutes would have got you 100th. I suspect with the recession the standards will improve further so I'll be aiming for 59 minutes on the day to be sure of a chance of a t-shirt. Big step up and all talk at the moment but if I can stay injury free I'll be hopeful!

• Advertisement

I love running behind 6ft 4 runners in ballycotton. Once i vcan see Krusty i will be happy. He cant let me beat him 2 yrs in a row down there. I reckon you will need 59 dead to be sure of a tshirt.

I love running behind 6ft 4 runners in ballycotton. Once i vcan see Krusty i will be happy. He cant let me beat him 2 yrs in a row down there. I reckon you will need 59 dead to be sure of a tshirt.

Happy to help!

59 dead:( - that's slightly depressing. Still, if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck, from what i remember you would have been able for around 2:48 at DCM '10 so no reason what would wouldnt hit sub60 for 10m.

take it ahndy coming back anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great to see you back on the forum its been a while. There us definitely a sub 60 in you will follow with interest

seanynova wrote: »
    best of luck, from what i remember you would have been able for around 2:48 at DCM '10 so no reason what would wouldnt hit sub60 for 10m.

take it ahndy coming back anyway

Thanks - not so sure about 2:48! - though if training goes well for Ballycotton I might try up the training and have a go at breaking 3 hours in Limerick.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Great to see you back on the forum its been a while. There us definitely a sub 60 in you will follow with interest

Thanks - I came close following your marathon programme summer last year so a dedicated 10 mile training plan might get me there this time.

• Advertisement

Saturday, 12th Nov - 10 miles; 7:15 per mile; Average HR – 179
    I tend to push it too hard when I run on my own so I made a conscious effort to run within myself for this session. I managed to cover the distance reasonably okay though my heart rate suggests otherwise – probably the late night and few too many beers had something to do with that. Finished without collapsing in a heap so there’s a definite improvement on Thursday’s run.

In a rash moment I agreed to run the senior Kildare cross country championships next weekend – I don’t think I’m senior standard when I’m running well but when my form is as it is I expect I’ll be in for a tough day!

Sunday 13 Nov - 40 minute kayak. I'm aiming to kayak at least once a week to keep some upper body fitness / strength.

Monday 14 Nov - 8 miles steady; Average 7:24 per mile; Average HR: 173; Grass surface

Thought I was running faster than this pace - especially considering how much I laboured. Of more concern is the slight throbbing sensation on the left of my lower left calf - the same area that put a halt to my marathon training and which my physio suspected of compartment syndrome:(. Might try aggravate it some more and then get it diagnosed once and for all.

Wednesday, 6 Nov - 9 miles intervals

This was my first intervals session in a while. Aim was to do 5 1-mile efforts with each between 6:20 - 6:30 pace and 90 seconds rest inbetween. Found it really tough - bit of a shock to my leg muscles. I could feel the lactic building and I was fairly whacked so I happily called it a day after 4 efforts.

3 miles easy warm-up - 7:34min/mile
    Mile Pace Avg HR
    1 6:25 179
    2 6:29 177
    3 6:19 180
    4 6:20 179
    2 miles easy warm-down - 7:35 min/mile

Thursday, 17 Nov - 5 miles easy; 7:42 min/mile; Avg HR 163

Managed to persuade my housemate to come out for a run with me - helps to rein in the pace. Another easy run on Saturday before I attempt my first cross country race in over 20 years on Sunday!

Saturday, 19 November - 4.1 miles easy; 7:45 mins/mile; Avg HR 154

Did this run in the park beside my estate which meant going around in circles quite a few times - which is fine when it's such a short run. I think the xc race course tomorrow is 10km long. I'll aim to do the first two or so miles at 6:30 pace and then go at a pace based on how I feel. It's all about damage limitation! HR today gives me some confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

kaymin wrote: »
    Did this run in the park beside my estate which meant going around in circles quite a few times - which is fine when it's such a short run. I think the xc race course tomorrow is 10km long.

Tymon? Pretty sure it's 4 laps of 2k

RayCun wrote: »
    Tymon? Pretty sure it's 4 laps of 2k

I think it's called Hermitage Park - it's in Lucan. A circuit is only 0.7 of a mile so I wouldn't attempt long runs there. I'd usually run in the Phoenix Park though St. Catherine's Park in Lucan is also an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oh, different xc race

RayCun wrote: »
    Oh, different xc race

The xc race I'm doing is being held in Castletown estate grounds in Celbridge - it's the Kildare xc champships. Hopefully it won't rain overnight as I'll be using my asics:rolleyes:

Sunday, 20 November – Kildare Cross Country Championships – 10km

I ate my usual pasta breakfast before making my way to Castletown Estate in Celbridge for the 12pm start. Beautiful day again – couldn’t have asked for better conditions! Bumped into a few people from my home town while the women’s race got underway – they had to cover a 4km circuit.

Men’s race kicked off at about 12:30pm – I lined up with my clubmates – I’ve only run with my club once before – so it was a case of me re-introducing myself! I made sure their expectations of my performance were suitably low! Course comprised of 3 laps – a 2km lap followed by 2x 4km laps.

Game plan was to go at 6:30 mins per mile pace for miles 1 and 2 and then see how I felt. Gun went and off we went – I slotted in behind a couple of runners at a pace of 6:20 or thereabouts – while it felt comfortable I followed my game plan and didn’t attempt to follow the few groups of runners that started to pass. After about 2 miles I figured the guy I was tracking was fading and decided to latch onto another few runners that were passing – their pace was too fast but I didn’t want to drop and end up in no-man’s land. So I kept up the pace for another 1.5 miles – after that the hardship began. At this stage I made a promise to myself never to enter a race again without having done the necessary training. Thankfully another guy dropped the same time and he was in as bad a shape as me – I stuck to his heels until the finishing straight. I didn’t / couldn’t mount a challenge in the ‘sprint’ - I was only too happy to get to the finish line.

Think I finished middle of the field in 41:31; 6:40 average - my target of 6:30 was probably too ambitious for a xc course. Plenty of positives to take from the race not least being the motivation to do more training.

Pace for each mile was:
    1 6:23
    2 6:35
    3 6:25
    4 6:51
    5 6:47
    6 6:55
    0.23 6:49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

hi kaymin, might give sub 60 a go myself if my training goes well, are you following any particular program?

hi kaymin, might give sub 60 a go myself if my training goes well, are you following any particular program?

Hi Bart, haven't started into a program yet, still at the stage of trying to get fit. I was looking at programs over the weekend though and liked to look of this one:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-sub-60-10-mile-schedule/87.html

It's only 8 weeks long which would mean I'd start it on 9th January. Until then I'll probably make things up as I go along! Have you a program in mind yourself?

kaymin wrote: »
    Hi Bart, haven't started into a program yet, still at the stage of trying to get fit. I was looking at programs over the weekend though and liked to look of this one:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-sub-60-10-mile-schedule/87.html

It's only 8 weeks long which would mean I'd start it on 9th January. Until then I'll probably make things up as I go along! Have you a program in mind yourself?

no i dont have a program sorted yet, i did dublin so im still kinda recovering from that, id like to start a program next monday the 28th,
    on runners world, you can use their smart coach thing that gives you a tailored program with a length of your choosing based on a recent race time, its pretty good and worth a look, it only has one session per week, with loads of steady miles,
    but im kinda thinking of doing two sessions(tempo+intervals), a long run, and recover runs, i think i have endurance but dont have the leg speed so thats why im thinking maybe two sessions per week, but im no expert, were you thinking of one or two sessions a week?

Tuesday, 22 November – 6 miles with 3.67 mile tempo; Avg 6:47min per mile; Avg HR 172

Started this run with a couple of friends but being an impatient runner (some might say an unsociable git) I decided to increase the pace and leave the lads behind.
    1.33 miles easy 8:05mins/mile
    3.67 miles@ tempo pace 6:23 mins/mile
    1 mile steady 6:33 min
    Happy with how I felt – I struggled with the 6:20ish pace last week when I was doing one mile intervals so it’s good to string a few miles together this time and maintain the same pace.

no i dont have a program sorted yet, i did dublin so im still kinda recovering from that, id like to start a program next monday the 28th,
    on runners world, you can use their smart coach thing that gives you a tailored program with a length of your choosing based on a recent race time, its pretty good and worth a look, it only has one session per week, with loads of steady miles,
    but im kinda thinking of doing two sessions(tempo+intervals), a long run, and recover runs, i think i have endurance but dont have the leg speed so thats why im thinking maybe two sessions per week, but im no expert, were you thinking of one or two sessions a week?

Hi Bart, had a look at that training plan – I’ll be doing 2 hard sessions per week I’d say – don’t think I’d enjoy doing 5 out of 6 sessions every week at 7:30ish pace. I’m used to doing regular hard sessions when I kayak so I reckon my body can take it. I’m unlikely to get out running 6 days a week either so I’d like to get the quality up.

The hardest sessions I identified on that training plan you mentioned are:
    Tempo: Dist: 10 Mi, inc Warm; 6 Mi @ 6:15; Cool
    Speedwork: Dist: 9 Mi, inc Warm; 5x1600 in 5:45 +w/800 jogs; Cool

While they’re tough sessions I don’t think they’d give me the confidence going into the race that I could go under 60 minutes. I’d need to go 6 or 7 miles at sub-60 pace in training in order to be optimistic of achieving my goal. Personal thing and I’m far from an expert.

How did Dublin marathon go for you?

i just deleted this post kaymin, because VR quoted it (you can read it from his post) and it was long enough as it was, and i dont want all my ****e cluttering up your log.

dublin went great i got a sub 3, ...2:59:38 so i was delighted with that. im 28 and have being running 3 years so im happy enough, i never ran when i was younger so all my training so far has being slow marathon training, i would not be used to do 6:00 m/m at all! my PB is mallow this year 63:39, so its a big ask but cant aim for 61 :)

i had a go at doing out a program myself last night, il paste it here now, not sure if its right, if you or anyone else on here has opinions on improvements to it id be glad to hear them.

Week 1
    8m with 4@6:15mm
    6m
    6m
    7m with 4*1000@6:00mm
    5m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 2
    8m with 4@6:10mm
    7m
    6m with 3*1000@6:00mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 5 mile race Aware, Dublin
    Rest

Week 3
    15m
    6m
    6m
    6m with 8*800@5:45mm
    6m
    12m with 4@6:40mm
    Rest

Week 4
    Recovery Week
    8m with 3@6:30mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 3@6:30mm
    6m
    16m long run
    Rest

Week 5
    9m with 6@6:15mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 6*1000@5:45mm
    6m
    15 mile long run
    Rest

Week 6
    8m with 4@6:00mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 4*1200@5:45mm
    6m
    16m long run
    Rest

Week 7
    10m with 7@6:15mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 3*1600@5:40mm
    6m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 8
    8m with 5@6:00mm
    7m
    7m
    8m with 8*800@5:40mm
    6m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 9
    6m
    8m with 3*1600@5:45mm
    6m
    5m
    Rest
    3m
    Dungarvan 10 mile Race

Week 10
    5m
    8m
    6m
    8m with 8*800@5:45mm
    6m
    15m with 8@6:30mm
    Rest

Week 11
    8m with 5*1200@5:45mm
    7m
    5m
    10m@6:15mm
    7m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 12
    8m with 5*1600@5:45mm
    7m
    5m
    10@6:15mm
    6m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 13
    6m with 6*600@5:35mm
    6m
    6m
    10m with 7*1000@5:40mm
    5m
    16m long run

Week 14
    6m with 6*800@5:40mm
    5m
    6m with 2@6:00mm
    4m
    Rest
    3m
    Ballycotton 10 mile race

Startv your own long and dont be hijacking kaymins. Intervals in week 1 and 2 are too slow and a waste. A lad that can run a 75 on hte last 400 in a 10 x 400 session is wasting is time doing a 4 x 1k and 3 x 1k @ 6 min mile..........You should be doing something like 4 x 2 miles at prp......The 10 miles at 6.15 would interest me if you fancy it. Start your own log kid. I dont praise too many lads but your a tough cnut. You dont know when you are beat.

Friday, 25 November – 7.14 miles steady; 6:47min/mile; Avg HR 172

Found a few excuses not to run the last few days but got my act together this evening. Tried to contain my pace as I plan to do a long run tomorrow – HR suggests I didn’t succeed. Played chicken with a few people on the paths this evening:rolleyes:

Saturday, 26 November – 13.1 miles on grass/ trails; 7:19min/mile average; Avg HR 173

Shattered after this run – it was my longest since Dublin marathon last year so that might explain why. Pace and legs felt sluggish throughout. If I can get up in the morning I’ll kayak instead of run to give my legs some relief.

• Advertisement

Wednesday, 30 November 2011 – 6 miles easy; 7:47 min/mile; Avg HR messed up

Had a lazy few days – didn’t even manage a kayak on Sunday. No real excuse except Ballycotton seems so far away and there’s loads of time to get in shape :rolleyes:

I headed out with a couple of friends this evening with the intention of pushing on to do 4 of the miles at 6:15 pace. I quickly changed my mind when we turned into a direct head wind. So I did the sociable thing and stuck with the lads.

7 or so miles tomorrow with 4 at 6:15 min /mile pace – committed now that I’ve put it in writing!

Advertisement