Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuck in a rut

Options
  • 07-02-2005 8:51pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My playing for the last while has been.... well, it's been boring as hell. Riffwise, I'm coming up with some interesting stuff (imo at least) but my soloing isn't worth crap. I keep playing the same patterns in different places. I need something to change my playing. Anyone got any ideas? I'd prefer not to spend any money (cos I ain't got none!) and I have lessons I must go take but besides that, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd say those lessons with the blues player will give you a whole new perspective on how to play the instrument and what can be done with it. Wait until you've had those and see whether you're developing new facets to your playing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Aye, I spose I should get off my arse and go see him about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

if know what you mean by playing the same patterns at different areas of the fret board.. i think the best thing to do is to learn as many different styles as possible.. and also to learn your scales like your life depended on it.. it's boring **** but it works!

Intruiging. Got Fretboard Logic 1&2 a while back. Still haven't looked at it properly yet.

what be that?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

feylya wrote:
    Intruiging. Got Fretboard Logic 1&2 a while back. Still haven't looked at it properly yet.

Well that's your problem right there... You've a lot you've not even looked at yet, and you're asking for more here? Seriously man, go learn that now.

mmm, interesting.. i have a book similar.. but mine just has every single scale and thats about it.. how do recommend it?

Just getting people's opinions tbh. I'd actually forgotten about it :o

it must be great so:D

• Advertisement

I'm easily distr

Look, a squirrel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

I dunno maybe try playing in different tunings or experimenting with modes if you feel like your playing the same stuff and stuck in a rut. A couple of lessons could really help your playing, I know they cost money but its well worth it. Alternatively I find ibreathemusic.com quite good for theory and technique kinda stuff, it might give you some ideas or whatever.

Advertisement