Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

The other offer did indeed fall through so I have it up on Adverts. I bought it on eBay from a well established seller in Singapore.

It might be the lack of sleep but you've lost me a little.

Just kiddin'. The way you were dissin' the watch and all, the ipad won't let me add smiley faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rain Dog

254087.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

skx009k2-big1_1_400.jpg

Pulled the trigger and hopefully will have this in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

My new Maranez Layan Brass Watch. Outstanding watch and the packaging was awesome, comes in a watch wrap/sheet along with 2 extra rubber straps and a screwdriver. Looking forward to see how the patina developes.
    This is just a camera phone pic, more better pics to follow when i get time. Not many of these left, get one while you can is my advise.

8811543164_50d69da749_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Love that Seiko KH...thinking of getting a pepsi bezel diver soon but looking at the Orient one
    http://orientwatchusa.com/cem65006d

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well, I ended up flipping my Steinhart Aviator pretty quickly. I can't fault the quality or finish of the watch, but the novelty wore off a little and I couldn't help but feel it looked a bit too much like an oversized fashion watch. So I sold it very quickly on eBay (sick of the chancers on adverts) and bought this Artego 500m diver from fellow forum member HDMI.

It's a chunky bit of steel - very rugged looking and feeling, but still comfortable to wear. It has a sort of retro pin cushion style about it too. I think it was the blue face that sold it for me though.

8802648891_4036b999de_z.jpg

8802648839_abb2968086_c.jpg

8802648771_6253fe6cf0_c.jpg

8802648663_3c746b31cd_c.jpg

very nice Eoin, love that seconds hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Seiko Arctura Kinetic

Photo1242_zpsecec36a1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

Seiko Arctura Kinetic

Goodie! A new post at last! I really like that Seiko. FB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Well, I really splurged today. I didn't just 'pull the trigger' - I gave it both barrels....and bought this for myself:

Images to come...

20130603171102.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Casio Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black Resin Strap MRW-200H-1BVEF

It was €20 in Argos and I couldn't resist.

So, was it worth it?

Well, yes.

It's light, pretty easy to read, has Day/Date, WR200m and is quite comfortable to wear - you forget you're wearing it pretty quickly. 2 yr warranty.

It's 43mm x 12mm - so it's about the limit of my 6.75 - 7.00 inch wrist

Downsides:

The strap may not be the sturdiest - I'll be curious to see how long it lasts. I'd certainly expect to get a couple of years, but it's not as good as a previous Casio waperproof purchase (which is still going strong 8 yrs on).

Not sure how good the lume is - sofar, not great but I'll reserve judgement for a few days.

Overall, pretty happy - it'll do fine as an occasiional beater until I can no longer resist my next target - a Seiko 5 (beige).

EDIT: Apols for the stock image - I'll post up more tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

L-R
    Tag Series 6000, 2000 & 2000 midsize
    Swatch Irony Scuba, Tissot prs 516 & Tissot T-Race

Blindsider, picked up a nice brown leather strap for my beige seiko. Will post up a pic when i get home in ten days. The stock strap is not great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Blindsider, picked up a nice brown leather strap for my beige seiko. Will post up a pic when i get home in ten days. The stock strap is not great

Thanks Lex - look forward to seeing it!

blindsider wrote: »
    Thanks Lex - look forward to seeing it!

Its this one....will take a pic to show it on

I got the darker brown..pic shows tan strap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005ZT29OG/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=2QSGOE6W6HJYI&coliid=I2PO54REJQ806S

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I felt that there was one kind of watch lacking from my collection ...something that would come under the heading "business casual". A clear, no nonsense, middle of the road, three hand watch on a bracelet ...and (as I have enough black and white ones) with a blue dial this time. The kind of watch you could have peeking out from under a shirt during a meeting without further need for explanation or embarrasement ...and it had to be cheap of course.

Plenty of those kind of watches about in quartz, kinetic or eco-drive ...not so many in automatic.

After plenty of gawking at the bay and amazon etc, I settled on this one: Citizen NH7490-55L (the L =- blue; also available in black=E and white =A)

Today it arrived:

Comes in a good looking, sturdy box (recycled cardboard, no less :D)

257041.JPG

First impressions: Very good, well made and finished

257042.JPG
    257043.JPG

The engine, Citizen 8200, hand winding, non-hacking, 21600 bph

257044.JPG

The fly in the ointment is the bracelet. It looks good and as if it's made with solid parts ...but it isn't. This must be the best folded bracelet ever made, only in one small place can you actually see the folds. If it weren't for the lighter weight and the tinny noise, you'd never suspect it. It is very comfortable however and complements the watch well. Sizing is a bit difficult as the links are rather large. Currently I have one link removed and the watch is a bit too loose, but I don't think I could take out another one ...and there is only one point of adjustment on the clasp.

pic of the fold

257045.JPG

Part II to follow

The really nice part of the watch is the dial ...it's everything I hoped it would be. Lovey, deep blue; iridescent in the light, with nice indices and hands ...and very difficult to photograph so that the pics do it justice. The glass is mineral only, not sapphire.

257047.JPG
    257048.JPG

The watch is ~40 mm dia without crown; ~50 mm lug to lug and ~12 mm thick. A perfect size for this type of watch (and my wrist)

257050.JPG

Also very cool is the lume ...it's blue and pretty strong. As I couldn't be arsed to set everything up for a proper lume shot you'll just have to take my word for it :D

257051.JPG

List price for this watch is 199,--; the Italian bay has considerably cheaper offers.

As it has no sapphire glass and the the bracelet is a bit cheaper than it looks, I 'd feel cheated had I paid full price for this ...but I didn't, so I'm happy enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

My only watch Oris BC3, treated myself to this when I turned 30, in my 40's now and still love it

As it's getting darker, here's a better lume shot of the watch from the previous page

631828d1370467009-das-beste-billige-stahlband-der-welt-citizen-nh7490-55l-blau-lume.jpg

I'm shocked that you now own something peasant which isn't Russian! Do you feel a little guilty?! It's a cracking looking watch btw, one I'd be happy to own myself.

This would be watch no 8 that isn't Russian (or at least Russian powered) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Unbelievable lume on that watch!

257690.jpg

Came back from holidays today and this arrived while I was away! It's typically well made with a smooth movement but dear oh dear the strap seems quite nasty... which is annoying as ideally I'd have liked the one on the rubber strap.

257711.jpg

Also had this fellow waiting for me when I arrived this morning.

img20130611184609.jpg

it's paid for ...but not shipped yet ...

probably another week or two before I'll get my paws on it

...anti-ci-pation...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Always quality P, always quality. Can't wait to see the moneyshot on the wrist, though knowing you the strap will be changed. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

peasant wrote: »
    it's paid for ...but not shipped yet ...

probably another week or two before I'll get my paws on it

...anti-ci-pation...

Okay..what is it ...

and why do you always find these crackers and show us all and in doing so tempt us...you don't work for the Russian Horological society do you ? :P

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Okay..what is it ...

and why do you always find these crackers and show us all and in doing so tempt us...you don't work for the Russian Horological society do you ? :P

It's by G.Gerlach, their m/s Batory Big Date model ...they're Polish, not Russian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

peasant wrote: »
    It's by G.Gerlach, their m/s Batory Big Date model ...they're Polish, not Russian :D

Doh...I must say class looking watch and at €270 a great deal

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

God Damn it! Im already through my watch quota for the year. I was avoiding looking at those G.Gerlach Batory's but after seeing your pics Ive just spent 15 mins with my cursor over the "add to cart" button on their shop! Luckily I got called away to do some actual work.

Don't know if I can resist that much longer though.

Can you advise how the seagull movement feels, and over all build quality?

• Advertisement

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Can you advise how the seagull movement feels, and over all build quality?

Err no, I can't yet ...as I haven't got it yet:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement