Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Paddy_man wrote: »
    I've ordered the Ainol Nova 7 Aurora from Pandawill. (€139 inc del via DHL Hong Kong, will be extra €30 if customs stop it) Its Chinese New Year so all these guys are off til the end of the month, so wont get shipped until Mid Next Week.

No Offical Google Android Market at the moment but there is a fix doing the rounds for the Elf that may work.

Will post up a mini review of it once I have used it a little. If anyone has particular questions or requests for me to try on it, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I ordered an Aurora myself also. Looks like the best of these Ainol Tablets. Here is a video review that persuaded me to part with my cash:

Can't wait for Chinese new year to be over and my tablet to be on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

jeromeof wrote: »
    I ordered an Aurora myself also. Looks like the best of these Ainol Tablets. Here is a video review that persuaded me to part with my cash:

That looks even better..

How much?

Would be afraid of rooting it/ installing android market,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Thanks for posting the review. Merimobiles reviews are way better than most of the others I found. Am wayyyyyyy happy with my choice. :)

Come in Pandawill, its New Year already!!! Ship it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭event

jeromeof wrote: »

i really want one of those now.

are pandawill secure enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

event wrote: »
    i really want one of those now.

are pandawill secure enough?

Yes, they're probably close to the most stable of the direct China outlets.

Just to say, the black on the Aurora really makes it, so glad you can avoid the silver.

The hardware of the Elf and Aurora, internally, are identical, but, if you want external hardware volume buttons, buy the Aurora, not the Elf.

Only the Aurora has hardware volume buttons.

I've sent an email to their customer support, to see can I change over, my order hasn't shipped yet..

---

ROMS etc.. There's a few rock stable 2.3.4 builds for the Elf and Aurora now, for people that want a nippy and stable experience. No 'extra apps' and full functioning Market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Amalgam wrote: »
    Yes, they're probably close to the most stable of the direct China outlets.

Just to say, the black on the Aurora really makes it, so glad you can avoid the silver.

The hardware of the Elf and Aurora, internally, are identical, but, if you want external hardware volume buttons, buy the Aurora, not the Elf.

Only the Aurora has hardware volume buttons.

I've sent an email to their customer support, to see can I change over, my order hasn't shipped yet..

---

ROMS etc.. There's a few rock stable 2.3.4 builds for the Elf and Aurora now, for people that want a nippy and stable experience. No 'extra apps' and full functioning Market.

Does this not ship with ICS which is version 4.0.X

davehey79 wrote: »

Yes indeed they do, but.. not everyone likes 4.x and secondly, 2.3.x is as nippy as a restless rabbit, when tweaked. I will dabble with running 2.3.x. The general feedback from Ainol users, is one of, 'fewer issues'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

really like the look of the one reviewed in the youtube clip above.... would like ot get something cheap and cheerful like this but am wary of buying from companies i'm not familiar with..... Has anyone any experiences with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Amalgam wrote: »
    davehey79 wrote: »

Yes indeed they do, but.. not everyone likes 4.x and secondly, 2.3.x is as nippy as a restless rabbit, when tweaked. I will dabble with running 2.3.x. The general feedback from Ainol users, is one of, 'fewer issues'.

Good stuff I might follow suit so hadn't a clue that was the case. Now to order one looks like a sweet machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i dont know about ordering from pandawill.... from a little research some of the reviews of the site arent great

http://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.pandawill.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

what are the cheap 4'' android mobiles like?

for basic apps,browsing and sd video playback

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

jobless wrote: »
    i dont know about ordering from pandawill.... from a little research some of the reviews of the site arent great

http://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.pandawill.com
    Yeah the reviews are throwing me off... Was all-in for getting the Aurora but now I'm thinking of just leaving it and getting a new car stereo from Halfords... :D

Just chatted to Pandawill customer service a few mins ago (I was 64th in the queue, so kept the box open for 50mins til i got to chat) and I asked them when my order will be shipped. "Will be shipped in 1 week".

Asked from date of order or today.. 1 week today..
    Will update next week if it ships and the week after once (if) I get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Anybody else notice the English motto on the ainol website?

"Enjoy life Enjoy ainol"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Schorpio wrote: »
    Anybody else notice the English motto on the ainol website?

"Enjoy life Enjoy ainol"
    You missed this I presume then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just got an email from focalprice with this tablet on offer, anyone know whether its worth buying? Its another ainol!

http://www.focalprice.com/CE0028B/ainol_7_Capacitive_Touch_Screen_Ultra_SlimTablet_PC_with_WiFi_Black.html?utm_source=radica&utm_medium=EM&utm_campaign=DM_1205NR_CE0028B

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From the comments, it looks like the Ainol Novo 7 Paladin.
    More or less the same price on pandawill.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

works out at about 80 euro delivered on focal price.

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Just got an email from focalprice with this tablet on offer, anyone know whether its worth buying? Its another ainol!

http://www.focalprice.com/CE0028B/ainol_7_Capacitive_Touch_Screen_Ultra_SlimTablet_PC_with_WiFi_Black.html?utm_source=radica&utm_medium=EM&utm_campaign=DM_1205NR_CE0028B

The picture of the box indicates its the Paladin, which has a different processor (MIPS).
    metalmonk wrote: »
    This uses the MIPS Xburst CPU. There are some reports of compatibility issues with apps as most are compiled for ARM CPUs.

"and there are question marks over the compatibility of the MIPS chipset with some Apps"

So if your not bothered by that and just want it for browsing, movies, pictures, it should be fine.. dead cheap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

Make sure to use code RMN10D with Focalprice for 10% discount. Brings price to just over 74 Euro.

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »
    works out at about 80 euro delivered on focal price.

will they work with a broadband dongle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 purkit

Hi can anyone advise me, I am looking for a tablet that can take my 3g dongle as I've got no wifi. I am looking at this one, any Opinions please? or does anyone have one. thanks

http://www.retailgadgets.co.uk/SA8-Android-2.3-Tablet-1.0GHz-Samsung-A8-Cortex-Processor.html?gclid=CLTmhPip-q0CFQFC4Qod9GARtw

purkit wrote: »
    Hi can anyone advise me, I am looking for a tablet that can take my 3g dongle as I've got no wifi. I am looking at this one, any Opinions please? or does anyone have one. thanks

http://www.retailgadgets.co.uk/SA8-Android-2.3-Tablet-1.0GHz-Samsung-A8-Cortex-Processor.html?gclid=CLTmhPip-q0CFQFC4Qod9GARtw

I don't think so. The dongles are usually designed for windows, not Android. You could, if you have a laptop, set up internet connection sharing, and that should work to get internet onto the tablet but it defeats the tablets portability really

I don't think so. The dongles are usually designed for windows, not Android.

Just to point out, all the Ainols, indeed, most of the Chinese Android slabs, like the Herotab etc.. have a plug and surf 3G compatibility with a very very limited selection of Huawei (China) stick modems, along with one or two ZTE (China) stick modems.

The Huawei E173 is often mentioned. I don't have a specific list handy, but 3G dongle use is mentioned, in relation to the Paladin.

I don't think there's any compatibility with recent HSPA+ hardware, you're dealing more with fairly long in the tooth stick modems, that have been available for a good while.

You're also going to have a better chance of the stick being recognised, if it is using 'run of the mill' Huawei firmware, not something locked down or modified heavily by the likes of O2 or Vodafone.

Just to show: Discussion of 3G use on an Ainol 7 Advanced. There's also threads for Novo 8 and Paladin. A Spanish review mentions 3G use on the Paladin. (YouTube)

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/27150-3g-usb-dongle-works/

---

My order is 'on hold', with Pandawill.. bah.

ephelan24 wrote: »
    Make sure to use code RMN10D with Focalprice for 10% discount. Brings price to just over 74 Euro.

That code didn't work but I went ahead and ordered anyway. Worked out at 83 delivered via paypal.

Now let's hope I don't get caught for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

Used code yesterday and worked for me. Perhaps finished although worth googling to see if any other codes available

ephelan24 wrote: »
    Used code yesterday and worked for me. Perhaps finished although worth googling to see if any other codes available

Probably was for January.
    It's ordered now though and paid via paypal so I doubt I could start again without too much hassle.

do these tablets have to be ordered from china to get a bargain price?

is free delivery ok from these places?

M cebee wrote: »

Well you might get caught for customs charges.

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »

Well you might get caught for customs charges.

does it make any difference re customs
    what type delivery is used?

Advertisement