Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HMV Grafton Street Reopening (Live music/Competitions/Discounts)

• 16-04-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Saturday the 19th 8am

Full details on their website
    http://www.hmv.ie/news

Deals:
    Some good deals like 40% off vinyl
    First person in the queue gets a free PS4 with a second one given out later.
    Selfie competition on Twitter for goodie bags
    Free candy floss and popcorn for everybody
    €100 off PS4 and Xbox one for the day
    Blu Ray Players from €9.99

Live music:

In The Window
    9.00am – 1.00pm - FM104 DJ
    1.00pm – 3.00pm - Minister of Sound – Shane Kehoe
    3.00pm – 5.00pm - DJ Francois

In The Store

11.00am - Hermitage Green
    12.00pm - Seo Linn
    1.00pm - We Cut Corners
    2.00pm - Riptide Movement

Raging I can't go in and support them but I've other musical matters to attend to!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Wonder when will they start queing for that ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tinie wrote: »
    Wonder when will they start queing for that ps4.

6pm tonight for me... just kidding I'm already there.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Timed to coincide with Record Store Day, no doubt.

Live music:

In The Window
    9.00am – 1.00pm - FM104 DJ
    1.00pm – 3.00pm - Minister of Sound – Shane Kehoe
    3.00pm – 5.00pm - DJ Francois

How is this live music?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Where are they opening. Thought there was a new shop in their old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Where are they opening. Thought there was a new shop in their old one?

They're opening where Awear used to be, beside BT2

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

How many €300 ps4s are in stock on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'll be queuing just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Raging I can't go in and support them but I've other musical matters to attend to!
    Why would you want to support them?

Granted it looks like some good deals on the day of reopening but generally they over charge, or are not in the slightest bit cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

How much do you get for a PS4 or XBOX 360 trade in in one of the other stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

Raoul wrote: »

Why?? Are you planning on picking up a cheap one and then trading it In again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

mcw92 wrote: »
    Why?? Are you planning on picking up a cheap one and then trading it In again?

I wouldn't do it but just wondering, I presume the stores would give you less than less than the price you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Raoul wrote: »

https://ie.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=ps4&section=&refinecat=Playstation4+Consoles

In box you get €327 in CEX for the PS4, and cash €294 so it's not worth your time unless you start selling them 2nd hand online for €350ish

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

HMV are Xtra-Vision, who also ripped off Xbox One gamers at launch by making them purchase a game with their Xbox which they had already bought and paid for.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/row-erupts-between-xtravision-and-customers-over-xbox-one-sales-29782872.html

They refused to apologise and would only offer refunds if you had not opened the game that they forced you to buy.

The company as a whole has not learned any lessons, HMV closed down and Xtravision have closed multiple outlets, please don't support this bullsh1t or companies will never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Why would you want to support them?

Granted it looks like some good deals on the day of reopening but generally they over charge, or are not in the slightest bit cheap.

I support them because they were the only decent bricks and mortar store in the capital that I could get my hard copy music and I really missed them when they disappeared.

Also they've brought their prices inline with online retailers in recent years so I don't agree with you on them being overpriced either.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Ah stop.

Ah stop what?

This is posted in Bargain Alerts, and one of the main bargains is reduced Xbox and PS4 from what the original post quoted.

The same company is using the same product they ripped off customers who had waited months to recieve their games console, who trusted Xtra-Vision/HMV to provide them with the product they had paid for without illegal additional charges. They have since been reprimanded for this action, but never apologised.

You may not care about a gaming console so I'll put into something you might care about.

Say you've bought tickets for a Gig/Festival, you pay for the ticket 6 months previous, and as you're walking into the festival you are told you must pay another €50 for a Festival guide, you may or may not have wanted to purchase one, but that decision was taking out of your hands. You are refused entry to the festival unless you pay an additonal €50.

No doubt you would complain in the same fashion as I have, this wasn't a different company and it was less than 6 months ago. So Ah Stop yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It was a strange and quite stupid move by the stores during the console launch, get over it. On Saturday they will be selling the consoles for -€100 rrp, it is a good deal.

It was a strange and quite stupid move by the stores during the console launch, get over it. On Saturday they will be selling the consoles for -€100 rrp, it is a good deal.

You are the exact reason we will continue to be taken advantage of in Ireland.

Ah sure it was ages ago, and they're doing something good now.

If it was a scam website who ripped customers off and someone posted a BA about it, there would be plenty of complaints about said website, why should this differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Probably be closed within another year.

I support them because they were the only decent bricks and mortar store in the capital that I could get my hard copy music and I really missed them when they disappeared.

Also they've brought their prices inline with online retailers in recent years so I don't agree with you on them being overpriced either.
    They reopened on Henry st and nothing changed from before they closed.
    People buy online because it's cheaper than buying in store, and that's still the case with HMV.
    Their prices are still a high as ever.
    I remember in one of their sales I went in for a specific item that I had priced before the sale started, I knew a sale was coming up so I held off and waited for the sale.
    I went in when the sale was on, the cheeky b*st*ds had the item on sale for the exact same price.
    They still do that.
    Was 20, now 15, when the item was always 15.

btw, there was a tiny little golden discs in rathmines that got me anything I asked for.
    There are and we're loads of shops better and more in need of custimors support than mega brand hmv .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I still prefer and buy physical copiesacross all major formats and never buy anything on itunes or in mp3 format(defeats the purpose of investing in a decent system) so I for one wasdelighted to see HMV return to Henry St. I was however disappointed with the Cd,Blu Ray and DVD selections they returned with (although the vinyl selection hasimproved immeasurably). I dropped in on opening day when they reopened only tobe disappointed and I fear the same will happen again. That said I will go intoGrafton St. for a look at some stage on Saturday armed with the vouchers myfriends and family insist on continually giving me in the vague hope ofspending some of it……

• Advertisement

Ye I found the DVD /blue ray section terrible as well, I looked for a few older DVDs that they didn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 davebushe

40% off all vinyl could do some damage to my wallet...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

...it's probable that they'll have about two of those - or one - or maybe they'll be instantly 'sold out' :-)

I was considering popping in myself for 8am - but in the knowledge that I'd be (I think) very unlikely to get a PS4 for 300 quid. I've fond memories of HMV back in the late 80s / early 90s so would wander in for a goo anyway :-)

The issue with the fiasco on consoles before is unlikely to be repeated you would think - it did them a fair bit of damage I'd have thought...

-ZB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ye I found the DVD /blue ray section terrible as well, I looked for a few older DVDs that they didn't have.

That model of shop is gone I'm afraid; the likes of HMV will only stock the high-turnover product that they can buy in bulk, sell cheaply and try to compete with online retailers. You won't be able to go looking for a specific record/dvd anymore, it's just a case of seeing what they have and if you want it, great.

BTW, I'm delighted it's re-opening, I'd be skeptical about how long it will survive but I love music in physical format and one more option for that is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sharktopus

Excellent look forward to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Their should be a law where you can't put a mad discount on an item and say while stocks last. So basically they could have 5 ps4s and 5 xbones and still say that bs. What I'm saying is that there should be a minimum amount of stock available like 50 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€5 off a €25 or more spend voucher in todays Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Our Year wrote: »
    Probably be closed within another year.

If their blu ray selection in liffey valley is anything to go by the certainly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

They reopened on Henry st and nothing changed from before they closed.
    People buy online because it's cheaper than buying in store, and that's still the case with HMV.
    Their prices are still a high as ever.
    I remember in one of their sales I went in for a specific item that I had priced before the sale started, I knew a sale was coming up so I held off and waited for the sale.
    I went in when the sale was on, the cheeky b*st*ds had the item on sale for the exact same price.
    They still do that.
    Was 20, now 15, when the item was always 15.

btw, there was a tiny little golden discs in rathmines that got me anything I asked for.
    There are and we're loads of shops better and more in need of custimors support than mega brand hmv .

Thats just not true. And im so emphatic about it heres a price check for ya on the last few items i bought in HMV.

HMV

Best of Keane €10.99
    Villagers €10.99
    Girl €12.99
    Now 86 €19.99
    Fleetwood Mac €8.00
    We need Medicine €9.99

Amazon

Best of Keane €12.15
    Villagers €13.34
    Girl €12.15
    Now 86 €14.94 (Bought on Amazon)
    Fleetwood Mac €9.72
    We need Medicine €9.72

So my HMV total is €52.87 and my Amazon total is €57.08 (Excluding Shipping which was mandatory on some items
    as they didn't qualify for free delivery. A few years ago they would have been worlds apart but not anymore!

Photo so you know i'm not bull****ting

303753.JPG

I also priced a PS3 game in one of the new Xtravision/HMW stores, which traditionally used to be very expensive
    as Xtravision only. The game was €4 cheaper in the store than it was on Amazon.

I know that golden discs and Tower exist however i prefer using a HMV store as just browsing around they have
    a huge selection and your likely to hit on something you like. There is no other store in Dublin you can do that
    with the same impact. I've walked into Tower on one or two occasions way back looking for 24 boxsets and they
    were a ridiculous €64.99 when they were €29.99 in HMV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Now sure how you did your math, but your HMV total is €72.95 and your Amazon total is €72.02, so Amazon is cheaper, excluding P&P.

The same stuff on Itunes is only €60 and even less on Google Play (although it doesn't have Now86, but why anyone would buy that shíte is beyond me).

Advertisement