Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

froggy1985 wrote: »
    What are customers paying for this service? I have UPC broadband at the moment and SKY TV. I registered my interest in Horizon a few weeks back and got an email yesterday asking me to call them about taking it for a "trial" price. I had previously been quoted 61 quid for TV + Broadband with UPC. And the girl on the phone confirmed this was the price for a normal box with BB.

I asked what the price was for horizon TV + BB and was told it was 68 quid!? So I said "So you are telling me its an extra 7 quid a month just for the box?" and she agreed it was. Doesn't sound right to me, especially considering the email i got said:

"As we are still in the process of finalizing our Horizon TV bundle pricing ahead of the launch we are offering you our trial price"

....doesn't seem like a trial price to me :-(

I received the same e-mail and gave UPC a call. They were looking for €17 more for a similar service as to what I have now (50 Mb + basic digital TV). I think I would have received a couple more channels as well as some current ones in HD

Given this is a trial and that there are still many issues, I would've expected a discount to my current price.

I politely declined. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I'm currently out of contract with UPC and I'm on this Horizon trial. I'm moving out of the apartment where I have UPC so I'm cancelling it. Does anyone know if I've to give 30 days notice to cancel, or will they just let it run to the end of when I'm paid until, which is the start of August?

Sales department is closed, so can't ask UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1 malki

I received new horizon box last week, so far so good- I have one annoying recurring problem- Most evenings the picture on the BBC1 freezes but the sound is OK. I got the signal refreshed but the problem still persists . Has anyone got any ideas how I can resolve this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

froggy1985 wrote: »
    What are customers paying for this service? I have UPC broadband at the moment and SKY TV. I registered my interest in Horizon a few weeks back and got an email yesterday asking me to call them about taking it for a "trial" price. I had previously been quoted 61 quid for TV + Broadband with UPC. And the girl on the phone confirmed this was the price for a normal box with BB.

I asked what the price was for horizon TV + BB and was told it was 68 quid!? So I said "So you are telling me its an extra 7 quid a month just for the box?" and she agreed it was. Doesn't sound right to me, especially considering the email i got said:

"As we are still in the process of finalizing our Horizon TV bundle pricing ahead of the launch we are offering you our trial price"

....doesn't seem like a trial price to me :-(
    Free connection Free Horizon Box
    Horizon Essential Bundle is €68.50
    Unlimited Fibre Powered 50MB Broadband
    Horizon Select Extra same as channels Select Extra TV
    Phone Anywhere 150

Note I have Home Phone & Freetime World instead of Anywhere 150 as I already had that phone package

Similar non Horizon package is The Essential Bundle €66.00
    That's €2.50 extra only

The Other Horizon Package €78.50
    Horizon Complete Bundle
    Unlimited Fibre Powered 100Mb
    Horizon Max same channels Digital Max +
    Phone Anywhere 150

Any extras you have with UPC will be carried over including
    Sky Sports, HD, call packs, etc.

Both packages for now include HD channels as standard depending on your TV Package even if you did not had HD before

The Trial back in May were given €90 credit and €12 Credit

Did they not offer you that as that was a help and was added bonus
    As this is Trial surprised they did not give you that
    Its not on General Public Release Yet

When you are accepted onto the trial you will be required to move to a new bundle. You will be asked to provide feedback on your experience of the service which will be used to ensure the service offers the best experience when we launch to the public.
    But also note we were told then this was not a new contract and only a Trial

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

paulboland wrote: »
    Free connection Free Horizon Box
    Horizon Essential Bundle is €68.50
    Unlimited Fibre Powered 50MB Broadband
    Horizon Select Extra same as channels Select Extra TV
    Phone Anywhere 150

Note I have Home Phone & Freetime World instead of Anywhere 150 as I already had that phone package

Similar non Horizon package is The Essential Bundle €66.00
    That's €2.50 extra only

The Other Horizon Package €78.50
    Horizon Complete Bundle
    Unlimited Fibre Powered 100Mb
    Horizon Max same channels Digital Max +
    Phone Anywhere 150

Any extras you have with UPC will be carried over including
    Sky Sports, HD, call packs, etc.

Both packages for now include HD channels as standard depending on your TV Package even if you did not had HD before

The Trial back in May were given €90 credit and €12 Credit

Did they not offer you that as that was a help and was added bonus
    As this is Trial surprised they did not give you that
    Its not on General Public Release Yet

When you are accepted onto the trial you will be required to move to a new bundle. You will be asked to provide feedback on your experience of the service which will be used to ensure the service offers the best experience when we launch to the public.
    But also note we were told then this was not a new contract and only a Trial

Thanks for the reply, I had seen the €2.50 mentioned here before and also the credit incentive too but instead I was told it was an extra 7 over the standard setup, with no credits. I was really interested in taking the trial but just felt as a trial user with the inevitable bugs and feedback I would be giving I was expecting more of an incentive to join. Not a huge amount of money but its the principle. Might give them another bell tomorrow and see if they can improve otherwise I might just wait until general release, can't imagine I would be paying much more and it would be the final release version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Tried Wifi last night, and network was sporadically visible but couldn't be joined. Had to hard reset the Horizon box to get it working again.

Also noticed that previously I was able to get a 40MHz channel working by switching to channel 13, but it was off again. Not sure why, as looking in a Wifi network discovery app there aren't many nearby networks around that channel.

Why is this Thread not in The UPC form
    As this is a UPC product and really should in located in there form and not here
    Anyone who has this product might not have notice this feedback from users as its not in the UPC Form
    As most of the Feedback is from this thread
    Can this be arranged and located in the UPC form
    The UPC reps are in UPC form and not here
    Customers wanting to ask a UPC Representatives a question will have better correct way of contacting them
    Thank You
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Why is this Thread not in The UPC form
    As this is a UPC product and really should in located in there form and not here
    Anyone who has this product might not have notice this feedback from users as its not in the UPC Form
    As most of the Feedback is from this thread
    Can this be arranged and located in the UPC form
    The UPC reps are in UPC form and not here
    Customers wanting to ask a UPC Representatives a question will have better correct way of contacting them
    Thank You
    Paul

The UPC forum is for people wanting to discuss directly with UPC.
    This is a forum of people talking about a UPC product.

The representatives on the UPC forum will not have the answers for the questions on here which require tech support. As such people are passing on the answers they are received saving themselves hours on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

BBC1 HD missing for me. Anyone else.
    Also lost a scheduled recording...

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

25 minutes of my life wasted on hold to the self install helpline because a lot of my tv channels now tell me I'm not subscribed to them and some are missing eg rte2, tv3. Then I was transferred to the tech section and spent another 8 min on hold and hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

gar wrote: »
    BBC1 HD missing for me. Anyone else.
    Also lost a scheduled recording...

Gar
    Same and lost a few channels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

25 minutes of my life wasted on hold to the self install helpline because a lot of my tv channels now tell me I'm not subscribed to them and some are missing eg rte2, tv3. Then I was transferred to the tech section and spent another 8 min on hold and hung up.

Same problem this evening, tried to watch a recording and told I'm not subscribed to the channel (Film4 & ITV2), real pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Same and lost a few channels

Same as that, the channels are still there but you need to type in the number rather than via the up/down buttons. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Similar boat here. All my scheduled recordings have vanished.

RTE 2
    RTE 2 HD
    Guide has both listed on 102
    Guide selection not working

enter 102 using remote you get RTE 2 HD it works sort of you get contact Customer Care on the screen

TV3
    Enter 103 on remote it works sort of you get contact Customer Care on the screen

3e
    Enter 106 on remote it works sort of you get contact Customer Care on the screen

BBC1 HD gone replaced with BBC 1 SD

Channels 130-142 the same enter on remote you get contact Customer Care on the screen
    not checking all channels as I say there are lot more not working

Called UPC Got automated Message saying they are aware of missing channels and recordings not working on Horizon
    Are working on a fix

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PacificRooster

Sat down to watch 'Get him to the Greek' and can only get RTE2 by typing 102. Can't pause it or record - pretty damn poor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

Had the same problems regards missing channels so reset the box to factory settings & everything is working

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

deeroy12 wrote: »
    ...reset the box to factory settings & everything is working

Pretty appalling if this has to be done (again) to have a working system, it's basically "Oh, you want your internet to work? Sure, just delete all your bookmarks first."

This trial is abysmal in fairness, have UPC got any sandboxed machines they can test their code on before they inflict the worst crap on us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

i think horizon is the business i donno what yiz are all moanin bout,
    sure,,, ive had the odd box freeze or remote control disconnecting but

A. Its a Full hd SAMSUNG box
    and
    B. any1 who has it now means they have it on trial
    and they got it for no extra cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Had the same problems regards missing channels so reset the box to factory settings & everything is working

Presume that deletes all recordings though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Having a weird problem tonight can't get rid of the info bar no matter what I do. Back button just brings me to the menu and live TV button changes to the previous channel but the info bar just won't go away. Also tried restarting the box. Anyone else have this problem tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

i think horizon is the business i donno what yiz are all moanin bout,
    sure,,, ive had the odd box freeze or remote control disconnecting but

A. Its a Full hd SAMSUNG box
    and
    B. any1 who has it now means they have it on trial
    and they got it for free

Im so happy that you didnt have the issues the rest of us seem to have had I personally am on my third Horizon box, between no internet, no audio, box continually locking up and only a hard reset followed by a factory reset getting it back. Threats of divorce and grief from the kids. So before you give your tuppence worth think about the rest of us who haven't been as lucky as you.

I Did a Full Factory Reset kept no setting full factory default
    Made no difference
    The Missing Channels are still not working

apope8 wrote: »
    Having a weird problem tonight can't get rid of the info bar no matter what I do. Back button just brings me to the menu and live TV button changes to the previous channel but the info bar just won't go away. Also tried restarting the box. Anyone else have this problem tonight?
    Called UPC Got automated Message saying they are aware of missing channels and recordings not working on Horizon
    Are working on a fix

apope8 wrote: »

Yup. Reset the box and avoid using the info button on channels that appear to be "gone", even if you type the channel number in and it's there. Worked for us.
    And by "worked" I mean basic features and channels aren't working properly and recordings can't be watched. The best kind of "worked".

You sure that it worked check all channels
    As I done a full factory Reset to default kept no settings
    Notting changed same as earlier missing channels as per previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I Did a Full Factory Reset kept no setting full factory default
    Made no difference
    The Missing Channels are still not working

I've Just factory reset my box and now my Channels are working. I haven't been recording anything as recording doesn't work properly so chose a full wipe option.

grindle wrote: »
    Yup. Reset the box and avoid using the info button on channels that appear to be "gone", even if you type the channel number in and it's there. Worked for us.
    And by "worked" I mean basic features and channels aren't working properly and recordings can't be watched. The best kind of "worked".
    That's the same as before noting changed the missing channels are not working correct
    earlier posts show yes you can enter using 102 etc but you will see message on screen contact our customer care team that's not normal working of the channel lol
    Factory Reset has done noting

I've Just factory reset my box and now my Channels are working. I haven't been recording anything as recording doesn't work properly so chose a full wipe option.
    you sure its fully working try using guide and up down of on remote
    also enter 102 see what you get does the info banner go away

• Advertisement

That's the same as before noting changed the missing channels are not working correct
    earlier posts show yes you can enter using 102 etc but you will see message on screen contact our customer care team that's not normal working of the channel lol
    Factory Reset has done noting

I know. One thing changed - the info bar is gone. Turning it off and on wouldn't get rid, this was my remedy. Never said it fixed everything, just that it gets rid of the info bar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement