Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the encouragement Dory Dory! If it's worth saying once, it's worth saying four times!

Getting to bed before 12:30am on a Friday evening is an immense improvement over non peak-training periods (usually helped by a couple of bottles of good beer). So being off the booze is definitely helping with my sleeping habits, my weight is dropping too (I've cut out most crappy food), and I reckon post-run recovery is helped too (less dehydration). Looking forward to enjoying a few beers after the Connemarathon next Sunday though.

Weight is now 72.5kgs. Plan is to be around 71kgs by race time, which is around the same as Chicago marathon, but with the core and weights, I'm already a lot leaner than I was 5 months ago.

Today: 8 easy miles with 7 x strides
    Plan is to do a tough'ish long run tomorrow, so opted for some easy miles today, with strides (around 150m at approximately mile pace). Left knee giving me a lot of jip these days, but it's always fine after a mile or two, so I'm not worried about it for the race as long as it holds out until I cross the finish line. I'll treat it to some well deserved TLC, once the dirty deed is done. For the time being, I'll just have to stay away from activities like cutting the grass, and painting the house. It's damn frustrating. :cool:

Summary: 8.1 miles in 58 mins, @7:13/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh good grief!!! :D Wow. Didn't realize it had posted 4 times. Sorry. :o

Nice work on the booze and crappy food. You've inspired me to cut back as well for the next two weeks. If only there wasn't this amazing homemade chocolate meringue pie in my refrigerator right now! I'll just have to pace myself with it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

So being off the booze is definitely helping with my sleeping habits, my weight is dropping too (I've cut out most crappy food), and I reckon post-run recovery is helped too (less dehydration)..

Any chance you can give us (well, me) an example of your typical days diet? I'm interested to see the intake. My diet is something I'm working hard on at the moment.

Any chance you can give us (well, me) an example of your typical days diet? I'm interested to see the intake. My diet is something I'm working hard on at the moment.
    Yeah, sure, but it's nothing terribly impressive I'm afraid.

Typical long run or session day:

Morning:
    Porridge with banana, honey and cinnamon and a slice of bread with peanut butter, steaming mug of coffee

Mid-morning:
    One or two pieces of fruit. Maybe another slice of breat and p. butter if it's a 15 mile run.

Lunch: (we have nowhere to buy food at work, so I make my lunch in the morning)
    2 x pitta (or a bagel), and one of:
    Hummus, tuna, chopped salad, couple of medium potatoes (microwaved), guacamole, etc. Try to keep variety in there. Once or twice a month, I'll grab a Subway.

Afternoon:
    Two pieces of fruit. Occasionally I'll rob a bar of chocolate from my work-buddy, but that's on the back-burner for the time being.

Dinner:
    I used to do 70% of the cooking, but these days, with long work hours, the OH is doing 70% and I'm doing 30%. We both cook pretty healthy though. Probably something like:
    Pasta with salmon
    Meatballs with couscous
    Indian curry with brown rice
    Chinese with noodles
    My portion size tends to be quite large (big appetite with the high mileage). My youngest had a wheat allergy for a while, so we got into the habit of cooking everything from scratch (no jars or boxes), and thankfully it stuck. Lots of veg with every meal. We tend to buy leaner types of meat, so pork-fillet, chicken breasts, etc. Once a month we'll get an Indian takeaway. I tend to go for the healthier option (fruit rather than cream based-sauces).

Evening: Some biscuits (a weakness). Less now.

Throughout the day: Lots of water. If I'm at home, fruit juice and water. No sports drinks (except I'm trying out Gatorade at the moment, in the build-up to Boston).

Post marathon:
    Won't change too much, just quantity size will be reduced. Looking forward to going back to more regular beer consumption. I keep up around 50-70 mpw year-round, so weight tends not to be a huge issue. I find if i'm more proactive about finding healthy snacks, I'm less likely to eat crap. I read the compositions on the sides of the packets, and look for a good carb/fat ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Yeah, sure, but it's nothing terribly impressive I'm afraid.

It's interesting. Getting the balance right to give you right amount of fuel can be tough. I know guys who took serious jumps in perfromance due to removing certain things from their diet eg weekly pizza treat.

I'm eating quite similar pattern to you at the moment, just less because a) I am fat and need to lose weight and b) I do a fraction of the work you do.

Cheers for the detailed reply.

• Advertisement

Today: 20 Mile Long run with stuff!
    Didn't want to run a standard P&D long run, and T-runner was kind enough to suggest a long run session, so I figured I'd adopt and adapt it a little. Plan was:
    10 miles easy
    3 miles repeats: alternating between 2 minutes fast/2minutes easy
    6 Miles @pmp
    1.5 Miles easy
    1.5 miles hard
    Or some variant of the above.

I set up the workout in Training Centre and transferred it to the watch. Unfortunately the watch interpreted the 3 miles of two minute repeats as 'do it twice in total', but I didn't figure that out until much later.

Met up with TheRoadRunner, who was on the back of a second place finish in yesterday's urban trail race, and we set off on the easy miles. Good banter, comfortable pace, definitely the most enjoyable section of today's run. It was bloody hot out there, but thankfully TRR had the forethought of leaving water scattered in his many caches around the park, otherwise I'd have shriveled up within a couple of miles. At the end of the 10 miles, the watch beeped the start of the two minute intervals. Unfortunately, we found ourselves at the bottom of a hill, so nothing for it but to run the two minutes uphill. It was about this time that we decided that T-runner was a masochist. The next one was easier, but along Chesterfield avenue the heat was stifling.

We were running the third interval, when I realized that the watch was indicating that we had 5.8 miles left rather than the expected 90 seconds. Sh1teballs. Something had screwed up. I figured it was easier to just stick with it, rather than stopping and fiddling with the watch. TRR didn't fancy it (he'd done the same distance but faster the previous day) so I headed on with the pmp goal, while he went off hunting his hidden water. Not sure if it was the heat, but the PMP miles were a real struggle (starting out a 5:51/mile pace definitely didn't help). Thankfully after 3.5 miles TRR showed-up in the opposite direction toting a bottle of water. Frickin life-saver and just in time for the hill climb too. Struggled on, with thoughts of packing it in, but eventually got the 6 miles done.

I couldn't remember where I'd agreed to meet up with TRR, so I clocked up an easy mile or two, before meeting him back at his club-house, with 20 miles in the bag. Not quite the session I'd initially planned, but still so much more than P&D had asked of me. Not a perfect session, but a good session and another reminder that in the heat I tend to be in a bit of a heap. Weight was down half a stone afterwards, so lots of liquids to catch-up on. Fingers crossed for cool weather in Boston and a few more TheRoadRunners to hand out bottles of water when the going gets tough.

Summary: 20.28 miles in 2:18, @6:51/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Nice session. Very jealous - stomach issues saw me abandon my 21 mile with 13 miles PMP, after only 3 miles.

It's nice and cool here in Virginia today...with frost threatening this week. It's been crazy warm thus far this year, but I will keep fingers crossed for cool weather for you in Boston in a few weeks. At least you will be up north, so that will help by several degrees. :)

Peckham wrote: »
    Nice session. Very jealous - stomach issues saw me abandon my 21 mile with 13 miles PMP, after only 3 miles.
    Nasty one. Could you try it tomorrow? Still three weeks out.
    21 with 13@pmp is a damn site tougher than I was attempting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Nasty one. Could you try it tomorrow? Still three weeks out.
    21 with 13@pmp is a damn site tougher than I was attempting today.

That was my "try again" - this run was scheduled yesterday and was curtailed to a 4 miler for the same reason.

Had planned a two week taper, so still have another week. Next weekend's 18-20 miler was due to be at easy pace. Might have to include 2 x 5 mile at PMP. Haven't done much PMP work, so am lacking confidence in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Today: 20 Mile Long run with stuff!
    Didn't want to run a standard P&D long run, and T-runner was kind enough to suggest a long run session, so I figured I'd adopt and adapt it a little. Plan was:
    10 miles easy
    3 miles repeats: alternating between 2 minutes fast/2minutes easy
    6 Miles @pmp
    1.5 Miles easy
    1.5 miles hard
    Or some variant of the above.

I set up the workout in Training Centre and transferred it to the watch. Unfortunately the watch interpreted the 3 miles of two minute repeats as 'do it twice in total', but I didn't figure that out until much later.

Met up with TheRoadRunner, who was on the back of a second place finish in yesterday's urban trail race, and we set off on the easy miles. Good banter, comfortable pace, definitely the most enjoyable section of today's run. It was bloody hot out there, but thankfully TRR had the forethought of leaving water scattered in his many caches around the park, otherwise I'd have shriveled up within a couple of miles. At the end of the 10 miles, the watch beeped the start of the two minute intervals. Unfortunately, we found ourselves at the bottom of a hill, so nothing for it but to run the two minutes uphill. It was about this time that we decided that T-runner was a masochist. The next one was easier, but along Chesterfield avenue the heat was stifling.

We were running the third interval, when I realized that the watch was indicating that we had 5.8 miles left rather than the expected 90 seconds. Sh1teballs. Something had screwed up. I figured it was easier to just stick with it, rather than stopping and fiddling with the watch. TRR didn't fancy it (he'd done the same distance but faster the previous day) so I headed on with the pmp goal, while he went off hunting his hidden water. Not sure if it was the heat, but the PMP miles were a real struggle (starting out a 5:51/mile pace definitely didn't help). Thankfully after 3.5 miles TRR showed-up in the opposite direction toting a bottle of water. Frickin life-saver and just in time for the hill climb too. Struggled on, with thoughts of packing it in, but eventually got the 6 miles done.

I couldn't remember where I'd agreed to meet up with TRR, so I clocked up an easy mile or two, before meeting him back at his club-house, with 20 miles in the bag. Not quite the session I'd initially planned, but still so much more than P&D had asked of me. Not a perfect session, but a good session and another reminder that in the heat I tend to be in a bit of a heap. Weight was down half a stone afterwards, so lots of liquids to catch-up on. Fingers crossed for cool weather in Boston and a few more TheRoadRunners to hand out bottles of water when the going gets tough.

Summary: 20.28 miles in 2:18, @6:51/mile

Well done. I died badly in the heat myself even on my revised easier session. Its bad suggesting sessions to others to complete and then not finishing them myself. Complaints dept closed for eveniong unfortunately though! :cool:

Seriously, well done on your tenacity. Another weapon for Boston. Added bonus of some heat acclimatisation too. You may need extra recovery after that. If so Make sure to take it: if you have another MLR you can run it very easy or skip it. Anyway youll know what to do yourself. Youve been very thorough in all aspects of this build up. You just need to keep it up and protect youre great form now. You have a tough run next weekend too. Youll need the recovery.

Well done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

T runner wrote: »
    Seriously, well done on your tenacity. Another weapon for Boston. Added bonus of some heat acclimatisation too. You may need extra recovery after that. If so Make sure to take it:

+1 on above, would have been easy to bail on run once I eased off. The other thing to remember is the phoenix park is not the kindest of places to run and is more than an adequate training ground for the hills of Boston :)

PS there are still 4 bottles of unopened water scattered around the park in ninja hiding places, I'll have to run again there next week to pick them up so I don't get accused of littering.

Yesterday:

10 Mile recovery run: Supposed to be a double but the weather was fantastic, so figured I'd stay out for the full ten miles, enjoy the sunshine and work on my weather-proofing base-coat. Ran with work-buddy for the first 6 miles and did the last four on my own. Every time I ran past this elderly portly gentleman, he'd shout out 'great job'. I'm not sure if it was because I had my top off, or because we were out getting some exercise. I feel dirty. Pleasant start to the taper anyway. Even if this week still has a hefty 70 miles, that's still 16 miles off of last week.

Short easy cycle: Because of the clock change, I got home in daylight for the first time, in what feels like 6 months, so I planned an easy cycle to celebrate. My daughter decided she was coming with me, so it turned into a very easy jaunt down to Bray, to skip stones into the sea and admire the swans, and a quick stop-off in the park to do some spins on the bars. I actually think my knee feels a little better after this, so I might give it another bash this evening (after my afternoon intervals), to see if it's just my imagination.

Evening: Stupidly left it a little late to start my core and weights workout (11:50pm) so stupidly went ahead and did it, finishing at around 12:30am, but got into bed with nice warm tired muscles; a recipe for sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Yesterday:

Every time I ran past this elderly portly gentleman, he'd shout out 'great job'. I'm not sure if it was because I had my top off, or because we were out getting some exercise.

QUOTE]

ah, its probably the ladies shorts.

I wasn't wearing ladies shorts. I was wearing a very masculine running thong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I wasn't wearing ladies shorts. I was wearing a very masculine running thong.

Topless & thong:eek:
    How do I report this post for being distasteful?

belcarra wrote: »
    Topless & thong:eek:
    How do I report this post for being distasteful?

Not too fast there, belcarra....I think we may need to see a photo of Krusty topless and in his very masculine running thong before we classify it as distasteful. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Not too fast there, belcarra....I think we may need to see a photo of Krusty topless and in his very masculine running thong before we classify it as distasteful. ;)

here you go

as far as i know, that really is krusty ! unless of course someone here can deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

as far as i know, that really is krusty ! unless of course someone here can deny it.

And he's modelling the DCM 2011 pacing gear, if I'm not mistaken

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be caught dead in anything like that. Mine is a far more swanky affair.

I wouldn't be caught dead in anything like that. Mine is a far more swanky affair.

Great job.

although i think this great thread/log has sunk so low theres no coming back.

Wow. That should be worth a few minutes in Boston. Or at least some really good press coverage!!

although i think this great thread/log has sunk so low theres no coming back.
    and so to bring it back up a notch...

Today: 5 x 600m @ 5k pace
    Nice and hot, but I was headed into the badlands, so I left the thong at home, and opted for a t-shirt and shorts. Felt a bit wrecked after the three mile warm-up, but my intervals seem to go a lot better on those days when I seem least 'up for it'. Arrived out in Belgard and standing on the tarmac which was reflecting the heat back up at me, I was brought back 6 months to my 12 days of running in during a Californian summer. First interval had a mild head-wind, and the second interval (back the way I had come) felt like a furnace without the cool head-wind. In general though, I was finding them as comfortable as you can find 600m intervals at 5k pace.

For the sixth and final interval I picked up the pace, and decided to keep it at around 5 min/mile, but after around 650m, the watch hadn't beeped to signal the end of the interval. Gah! I was only supposed to do 5! Doesn't matter how good the technology is, as long as their is an idiot at the helm. On the 4th interval, I had passed someone who looked suspiciously like ecoli, but clearly I was running too quick for him to focus on such a fast-moving object, so despite my big thumbs up, the man with the shades didn't recognize me. :)

Intervals: 2:01/1:58/2:02/2:00/2:00/2:01 (649m).
    Pace: 5:19/5:11/5:22/5:16/5:18/5:04
    HR: 145/153/157/155/158:159

Finished up with an hot but easy three miles back to work.
    Summary: 9 miles with fast stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hahahaha just spat tea all over myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

and so to bring it back up a notch...

Today: 5 x 600m @ 5k pace
    Nice and hot, but I was headed into the badlands, so I left the thong at home, and opted for a t-shirt and shorts. Felt a bit wrecked after the three mile warm-up, but my intervals seem to go a lot better on those days when I seem least 'up for it'. Arrived out in Belgard and standing on the tarmac which was reflecting the heat back up at me, I was brought back 6 months to my 12 days of running in during a Californian summer. First interval had a mild head-wind, and the second interval (back the way I had come) felt like a furnace without the cool head-wind. In general though, I was finding them as comfortable as you can find 600m intervals at 5k pace.

For the sixth and final interval I picked up the pace, and decided to keep it at around 5 min/mile, but after around 650m, the watch hadn't beeped to signal the end of the interval. Gah! I was only supposed to do 5! Doesn't matter how good the technology is, as long as their is an idiot at the helm. On the 4th interval, I had passed someone who looked suspiciously like ecoli, but clearly I was running too quick for him to focus on such a fast-moving object, so despite my big thumbs up, the man with the shades didn't recognize me. :)

Intervals: 2:01/1:58/2:02/2:00/2:00/2:01 (649m).
    Pace: 5:19/5:11/5:22/5:16/5:18/5:04
    HR: 145/153/157/155/158:159

Finished up with an hot but easy three miles back to work.
    Summary: 9 miles with fast stuff

Twas myself alright. Was wondering who this was haring it up my neck of the woods. Didnt notice the thumbs up but it was only after you passed me that it dawned on me who it was. Sorry about that:o

Fair play you looked strong and comfortable though (either that or you hide pain well:D)

How'dya like these apples RacoonQueen?

Evening: 9 Mile hilly cycle
    Stuck the dinner on, and left it in the capable hands of elder child. Picked up the bike and headed off in the last of the day's sun-rays. Plan was just to do a hilly loop, and see if it had a positive impact on my knee. After three miles of up, I arrived at the side of Carrigologan to a spectacular sunset. As the last of the light disappeared behind the Dublin mountains I turned on my bike lights for the remaining miles. I was regretting that I didn't remember to bring my head-torch as I could only see a spot 15 feet in front of the bike. Couldn't believe how dark it was. Took a look at my watch, and it was at this point I realized I had my sun-glasses on. D'oh. I is smart like Cletus.

Summary: 9 miles in 42 mins, @21km/hour, HR=107

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Noooo, it's a trick, next she's going to start slagging you about not going swimming and before you know it... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Mr Slow driving with shirt and tie in sauna of a car passed Mr Krusty running in the Naas rd in the open air and sunshine looking very happy with himself.

Mr Slow is seething with jealousy! :mad:

Half day Friday methinks!;)

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Mr Slow driving with shirt and tie in sauna of a car passed Mr Krusty running in the Naas rd in the open air and sunshine looking very happy with himself.
    It was very warm though. I nearly broke out into a sweat!

Today: 12 mile medium long run
    12 miles is the new 15 miles, so I headed off with work-buddy on a loop around Belgard, and we parted ways after 5 miles at Newlands Cross, where I headed down the aforementioned Naas Road. Not the greatest choice of route, as I was choking on the car fumes of all those shirt and tie wearing sauna car drivers. Headed over the Luas bridge to the quiet and solitude of Clondalkin, before hitting the canal, where the air was filled with the buzz of men and horses (isn't that a TV station?) swimming in the waters of the canal. Through the Pfeizer industrial Park around the lake (I betcha that child is going to fall into the water; splash!) and back to base.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:28:44, @7:20/mile.

Advertisement