Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

T0001 wrote: »
    You have to remember when listening to the songs, that on the eurovision stage, who ever represents us they'll be dressed in either green or gold, have two unnecessary male irish dancers, some gobsh*ite playing an instrument out of tune and two young ones in awful dresses singing the harmony out of key - shure it worked in the past......... wait what?

And the singer will have been told that whatever you do, don't forget the choreography: Walk forward, arm up, walk to the camera on your left, arm out, walk to the camera on your right, arm out, and get out of the way in the middle of the song so that they dancers can do their thing.

Comfortable stage performers need no apply.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Time to update the thread properly!

France

Sounds like a contender for 27th place in the final.

Switzerland

It's alright.

Cyprus

Pretty insipid.

Denmark

Nice, happy song. Kinda similar to last year.

10/40 picked, one quarter of the way there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Time to update the thread properly!

France

Sounds like a contender for 27th place in the final.

"Nous ne voulons pas chanter en anglais." :o:o;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Zaph wrote: »

They have some really shítty articles now.

Was better when they didn't make so many articles for clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    lets outsider join the eurovision aka australia, why australia not america or china or japan
    They're in the Commonwealth, technically British soil. As is Canada and India...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Listened to our final a few times now and doesn't get much better. Kat & Molly's songs are actually very nice songs, but will make no impact at all on viewers/votes.
    Erikas song will do ok as a sing along song at 1st, but impact soon wares off and after a while u forget it.

Our only hope is Nikki, it's actually a really good song if done right. She is a quality singer but comes across as very shouty on the chorus. Look forward to the live version as I reckon she will be toned down a bit and if so this song is easily good enough to get us to the final.

This post has been deleted.

"And by country, we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right."

Osman.jpg

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :o:o:D:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Any word on the United Kingdom entry yet?

T'Pau? Johnny Hates Jazz? Lee from 911?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm keen to see what the UK entry is.

I believe the Late, Late's Eurosong programme takes place on the 27th of this month so not long to find out Ireland's entry. I really hope they have a panel of critics to rip into each song. :)

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I'm keen to see what the UK entry is.

I believe the Late, Late's Eurosong programme takes place on the 27th of this month so not long to find out Ireland's entry. I really hope they have a panel of critics to rip into each song. :)

But for the purpose of fairness, the panel will have 2 mins at the end of the programme to comment honestly on each song, as to not have bias

Hopefully this time, RTE will have a scoreboard that goes beyond 100 points!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Iceland

Wouldn't trouble the right hand side of the board if it qualified

Serbia

She's got an amazing voice, but I think the tempo change really cheapens the song. Will also probably need to be sung in English to have chance.

Italy

The early favourite! They'll have to chop 40 seconds off the song though, that could work against it.

Lithuania

Not terrible! If the presentation is vastly improved I think it should make the final.

Estonia
    Far and away the best song picked so far, should be a contender in Vienna.

15/40 picked now.

Had a listen to a couple of the Irish contenders.. was shocked to discover Break Me Up is actually quite decent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

How you call it Eurovision when one of the country isn't from Europe aka austrAlia isn't European country

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    How you call it Eurovision when one of the country isn't from Europe aka austrAlia isn't European country

I don't know why people are making such a big deal of this. It's just a bit of fun. Sure we've been having non-European entrants for years now. The Asian Azerbaijan even won recently enough!

From Wiki:
    Several countries geographically outside the boundaries of Europe have competed: Israel, Cyprus and Armenia, in Western Asia, since 1973, 1981 and 2006 respectively; Morocco, in North Africa, in the 1980 competition alone and Australia debuting in the 2015 contest. In addition, several transcontinental countries with only part of their territory in Europe have competed: Turkey, since 1975; Russia, since 1994; Georgia, since 2007; and Azerbaijan, which made its first appearance in the 2008 edition. Two of the countries that have previously sought to enter the competition, Lebanon and Tunisia, in Western Asia and North Africa respectively, are also outside of Europe. The Gulf state of Qatar, in Western Asia, announced in 2009 its interest in joining the contest in time for the 2011 edition.

Latvia

Don't see them returning to the final with this.

16/40.

From Wiki:

I really think we ought to pin this to the first page of the thread, for the amount of times people ask it every year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They must be big fans of FKA Twigs in Latvia.

So we've got 40% of the songs and tbh I haven't been too impressed with any of the ones so far. If the winner is from this bunch I'll be shocked.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

Not even Estonia, no? I'm loving it. Italy isn't bad either. They're the only two so far that I'd say will make the top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seriously Aussie joining the "Euro"Vision? Oh here, the most corrupted competition just got a little worse.

I watch it every year, but its just so stupid. Politics rule the show, nothing else. The fact the Germany, Spain, Uk, France and Italy get free passes to the final prove my point even further.

Seriously Aussie joining the "Euro"Vision? Oh here, the most corrupted competition just got a little worse.
    It's a once off, to celebrate the 60th anniversary.
    Politics rule the show, nothing else.
    No it doesn't.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does. Its one of the most politically corrupted shows in the world.

Some of the songs are good regardless, eg I think a few eastern European countries have got it right in the last year's, and others are terrible eg Ireland and the UKs entries.

Carnacalla wrote: »

*sigh* Morocco took part 35 years ago.

Be careful what you say, now. :o:o

Some of the songs are good regardless, eg I think a few eastern European countries have got it right in the last year's, and others are terrible eg Ireland and the UKs entries.

This same old argument gets posted several times every year, and probably by the same posters. I'm not gonna go into a long explanation of why politics no longer dominates the show, me and several others have done so before and you can probably find it in the other threads. But basically I think the fact that Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Germany and Norway have won inside the last ten years kinda scuppers your argument. Heck, The Netherlands came 2nd last year after ten years of not even qualifying.

If politics dont rule the show, then how come

*5 countries get free passes into the final.
    *A country not even remotely close to europe gets entered into the Eurovision?
    *Countries generally vote for their neighbours rather than the actual songs?

I will watch the eurovision, but I think its run terribly and it needs an unbiased revamp. There should be no free passes to the final, you have to be near europe to enter it and voters should be encouraged to vote for whether songs are good or not rather than their neighbour country.

For Maxi's 65th. birthday today :)

http://youtu.be/wcpecvXTh2M

I'm actually quite liking Latvia's entry, it's definitely the strongest of the ones I've listened to. The Dutch song is pleasant too, if somewhat repetitive. Estonia is decent but seems to be a bit overrated imo; the male singer is too mumbly and needs to sing stronger.

Georgia and Lithuania are ok-ish, and Malta might be alright if she can stop oversinging the hell out of it. Iceland, France and Macedonia are all a big pile of meh. The rest I haven't heard yet.

I haven't even listened to the Irish contenders yet, so low are my expectations. :o
    If politics dont rule the show, then how come

*5 countries get free passes into the final.
    Because they pay for the bloody thing. Without those 5 countries contributing financially (and bear in mind that 3 of them usually do quite badly) the Eurovision wouldn't be staged anymore.
    *A country not even remotely close to europe gets entered into the Eurovision?
    It's a one-off event to celebrate the competition's birthday and acknowledge that it has a big following in Australia. Australia has a much better attitude towards it than plenty of moaners in Ireland and the UK.
    *Countries generally vote for their neighbours rather than the actual songs?
    Cultural similarities. The Balkan countries, for example, have similar languages and musical styles, it's hardly surprising that they'd be more likely to vote for each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Cultural similarities. The Balkan countries, for example, have similar languages and musical styles, it's hardly surprising that they'd be more likely to vote for each other.

Can this be stickied too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement