Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes...try and watch it. It's really good. One of the best crime series in a long time.
    :-)

Would you have had to watch S01 first, to watch S02?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Why? Conflicting rights? (ITV lose all live TV footie as of CL final 2015 so that's no biggie)

I don't know, I suppose they can target advertising more effectively (to the South and North) by having two distinct stations.

It's a serious blow to UPC viewers, one less reason to stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does UTV currently get a fee from UPC for allowing them to show the current UTV? Will it be UPC on the instructions of UTV brining the UTV Ireland replacement instead of the current UTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes for both questions. It is not in UTV's interest to have two UTV channels diluting the audience and therefore reducing advertising rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

filmON tv app on your smart phone has all free to air stations and can be hooked up to a tv with hdmi wire and you will have ITV1.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I reckon Pat Kenny given his own chat show will be all the nails in the coffin for The Late Late Show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i wonder how the unionist community up north feel about this??

i mean utv of old was viewed as being very much pro-union and now you have them encompassing an all ireland format ?? bit odd don't you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

philstar wrote: »
    i wonder how the unionist community up north feel about this??

i mean utv of old was viewed as being very much pro-union and now you have them encompassing an all ireland format ?? bit odd don't you think

I hear Cedric Wilson is refusing to watch any more Emmerdale unless the station is abolished...

C'mon, do you really think they give a hoot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Chris___ wrote: »
    I reckon Pat Kenny given his own chat show will be all the nails in the coffin for The Late Late Show.

not necessarily. Pat Kenny was a very marmite host of the Late Late. I think he is a smart broadcaster and much better than Tubridy in some areas but inferior in others. But neither are brilliant tbh, particularly Tubs.

Does the station kick off tonight and whats on if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

not necessarily. Pat Kenny was a very marmite host of the Late Late. I think he is a smart broadcaster and much better than Tubridy in some areas but inferior in others. But neither are brilliant tbh, particularly Tubs.

Does the station kick off tonight and whats on if so?

Tomorrow, New Year's Day at 7.25 PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    filmON tv app on your smart phone has all free to air stations and can be hooked up to a tv with hdmi wire and you will have ITV1.......

You'd be better off heading down to your local electrical retailer and looking through the window at the televisions for sale as you would be doing that. ****e quality and a lot of bother for nothing.

Not much of a fan of ITV/UTV myself, if anything I think this is a bit crap because I liked looking in on the Northern news from time to time. Plus the fact that this will put pressure on TV3 which is a genuine domestic broadcaster and despite the bad things it does, it does some good things too and has come on a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That's bad news

Its diabolical news for anyone on cable.

Satellite is handy as you can watch whatever version of ITV1 or BBC1 you prefer.
    I used to hate only having UTV and BBC1 NI ,too much regional drivel and they often shunted good programmes back to show garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

What's the first program they are showing lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

What's the first program they are showing lads?

Emmerdale :(
    Followed by Pat Kenny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So New Year's morning on UPC...

UTV NI and UTV NI HD gone... all that's there now is the pre-launch loop for UTV Ireland on both channels. Whole day of programming lost.

There does seem to be a UTV Ireland HD though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So am I right in saying this then (from the perspective of a UPC customer):

- No UTV NI or UTV HD anymore
    - Lose any of the football that used to be on ITV1/UTV

If so, that's pretty bad!

Will ITV1 still be available on "Free to Air" after the changes as (the old) UTV basically seemed the same, at least for any programmes that my wife watches?.
    Our UPC package has ITV2, ITV3 & ITV4 but no ITV1. Could they swap ITV4 for ITV1?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

How do I get UTV Ireland on Saorview?

Update: Got it :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Will ITV1 still be available on "Free to Air" after the changes as (the old) UTV basically seemed the same, at least for any programmes that my wife watches?.
    Our UPC package has ITV2, ITV3 & ITV4 but no ITV1. Could they swap ITV4 for ITV1?.

ITV1 (and UTV NI for that matter) will still be available on free to air satellte.

They won't introduce ITV1 to UPC, because the whole idea of removing UTV NI is that the only place to see ITV's shows (or at least those they can secure the rights to) will be UTV Ireland.

Most of the football will be gone from ITV1 at the end of the season. Only international football (outside of the UEFA Euro and FIFA World Cup finals, only England's European Qualifiers) will be left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

you would think they would have a good film the night of their launch. fecking ****e film on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

So New Year's morning on UPC...

UTV NI and UTV NI HD gone... all that's there now is the pre-launch loop for UTV Ireland on both channels. Whole day of programming lost.

There does seem to be a UTV Ireland HD though!

What Ch is HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

ricero wrote: »
    you would think they would have a good film the night of their launch. fecking ****e film on

I've never even heard of that film before.

What Ch is HD?

Same as it was... 138

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Same as it was... 138

My UTV HD was 110, I have no 138

My UTV HD was 110, I have no 138

Strange... I don't have the HD package though so maybe that's why. SD version is 110 for me. RTE HD, BBC HD and UTV IE HD are on 135-140 here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,290 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

10 hours of trailers is an inauspicious start as I assume people flick off after 5 seconds. Everyone off work, kids off school - its an afternoon to be showing Bond, Narnia, Harry Potter or Disney.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Horizon customers get UTV Ireland HD on 110 due to the "HD swap" feature. They don't get the SD version.

Other UPC customers with Mediabox HD STBs get HD on 138 and SD on 110

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

its an afternoon to be showing Bond, Narnia, Harry Potter or Disney.

I'd wager they have the rights to none of the above.

Emmerdale & Corrie only reason I will watch UPC Ireland since tv3 lost the rights

You'd really have to wonder what the point of this channel is as it seems like it's going to be a stripped-out version of the existing UTV NI and ITV 1

Are the 2 soaps that big a draw/revenue stream to warrant it? I can't see too many sticking around for the news coverage or Pat Kenny

6 mins to launch and a silent channel with spinning logo and clock.. inspiring!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

10 secs to launch..............

Advertisement